BajaNomad

blooming backcountry of San Diego

tripledigitken - 5-18-2011 at 10:58 AM

I never caught the desert bloom this year out in Borrego. Two weeks ago I did catch this view up in the Laguna Mtns on sunrise highway.

[Edited on 5-18-2011 by tripledigitken]

Mudhen - 5-18-2011 at 11:31 AM

Spectacular. It's been a great spring for flowers. :)

Skipjack Joe - 5-18-2011 at 11:40 AM

Are those Lilacs?

I thought San Diego would be too warm for them. But they do bloom right about now. I would pick them on the way back from High Sierra fishing trips. Boy, were they ever fragrant.

tripledigitken - 5-18-2011 at 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
Are those Lilacs?

I thought San Diego would be too warm for them. But they do bloom right about now. I would pick them on the way back from High Sierra fishing trips. Boy, were they ever fragrant.

The ones in the foreground, yes. They are widespread in San Diego County, and this year they were spectacular.

Ken

David K - 5-18-2011 at 11:53 AM

It's an elevation thing... San Diego city may be at Sea Level... but the county goes well over 7,000 feet high with pine forests! We have nearly every kind of climate all within 50 miles!

Skipjack Joe - 5-18-2011 at 11:54 AM

My neighbors in Half Moon Bay would dump ice on their roots for about 2 weeks every winter. He claimed they needed that for a good bloom.

It has felt like winter here the last week with the rainstorms. I think this has been an unsually cool year and that probably helped the blooms.

Usually we get carpets of lupines by early April in the central valley. But this year they came out much later.

Spring came late this year. I am wondering if this will affect the fish migrations in the Cortez. It doesn't appear to be from the reports I'm reading.

Flowers

tehag - 5-18-2011 at 03:49 PM

Love the photos. I think those lavender colored flowers are on deer bush. It is super common throughout the Laguna Mountains.

tripledigitken - 5-18-2011 at 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tehag
Love the photos. I think those lavender colored flowers are on deer bush. It is super common throughout the Laguna Mountains.

Glad you liked the photos. I'm thinking they are Ceanothus (Wild Lilac), but could be wrong.

http://www.sandiegoreader.com/weblogs/outdoor-san-diego/2011...

ecomujeres - 5-18-2011 at 04:47 PM

tripledigit...
I was going to say that they looked Ceanothus before I read your post. They are very common in SD county (where there are numerous species) and throughout CA. One of the common names for some species is Buckbrush.

ecomujeres - 5-18-2011 at 04:50 PM

And I wonder if the dark pink bushes are Cercis occidentalis or Western Redbud. They too occur in SD county.

Wonderful photos and scenery. Lucky you!

Mexitron - 5-18-2011 at 04:50 PM

Definitely Ceanothus (C. leucodermis possibly, which I've found growing on the Matomi Mesa believe it or not...)...the purple trees in the background look like Western Redbud (Cercis occidentalis).......beautiful photo!

tripledigitken - 5-18-2011 at 04:54 PM

Thanks for identifying the Red Bud, we couldn't.

Talk about being lucky, I took these during a M/C ride on that day. You can just make it out in the second photo! It was a weekday and I had the roads almost to myself!

Ken

[Edited on 5-18-2011 by tripledigitken]

Natalie Ann - 5-18-2011 at 05:04 PM

So we all agree on Ceanothus. It is a CA native plant - a species which blooms a darker blue is one you see often up here in our San Francisco Bay area.

Beautiful flores, Ken. Thanks for posting them.
I put a little Redbud in my garden this year - hope it grows to be as large and lush as the one in your picture.

nena

Flowers

tehag - 5-18-2011 at 06:24 PM

Yeah, buckbrush, not deer bush.

irenemm - 5-18-2011 at 07:49 PM

hot beautiful
thanks for sharing really beautiful