BajaNomad

drive your us dog back across border patol,mexicali

alexgarreton - 5-20-2011 at 04:49 PM

need to know what kind of papers , questions asked to bring my dog back into us,, ill be on the beaches in la paz 2month, leave may 27 till aug 2,, i got rabies shot papers, us dog tags, birth papers, chip papers, what else am i missing!!!

can call my cell 602 571 9554,-- alex phx area till 8pm, im not on line much to get answers, im busy packing, and working last 4days of work left....

W I L L AWAIT AN ANSWER ASAP,, THANKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!

DENNIS - 5-20-2011 at 05:19 PM

Your vet can give you a "Certificate of Health" which is on the list of things to have although I've never been asked for it. The vet will know what it is.
Other than that, your fine.

Ohhhyeah....don't bring back any dog food. They'll confiscate it. It's a waste of time to ask why.....no one knows for sure.

Howard - 5-20-2011 at 05:21 PM

I have always carried proper paperwork for my dog crossing by RV back into the USA and have never been asked to produce any paperwork. This last Monday I crossed Tecate in my big RV with "Gringo the Dingo", my yellow lab, and they did not ask for any paperwork. They WILL take all kibble dog food away, sealed or not, so either give it away b-4 or tell them about it and then they will take it. Best to give it to someone down there so it will be used by some hungry pooch.

You are required to have the paperwork but as I mentioned, I have never been asked for any.

Flying back with fido is another story.

BajaWarrior - 5-20-2011 at 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by alexgarreton
need to know what kind of papers , questions asked to bring my dog back into us,, ill be on the beaches in la paz 2month, leave may 27 till aug 2,, i got rabies shot papers, us dog tags, birth papers, chip papers, what else am i missing!!!

can call my cell 602 571 9554,-- alex phx area till 8pm, im not on line much to get answers, im busy packing, and working last 4days of work left....

W I L L AWAIT AN ANSWER ASAP,, THANKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!

You have more documentation than we do for our dogs and we cross with them every three weeks with no problem. We have current licenses for both of our Rottys and that is acceptable. Current license implies current shots.

CDB - 5-20-2011 at 08:49 PM

From the CBP web site.

Meat and Animal Products and Byproducts
Fresh, dried, or canned meats and meat byproducts are prohibited entry into the United States from most foreign countries because of the continuing threat of foot-and-mouth disease (FMD), bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE, or mad cow disease), and other animal diseases. If meat from restricted countries is used in preparing a product (e.g., beef broth), the product is usually prohibited.

nbacc - 5-20-2011 at 09:07 PM

Just don't carry back any dog food (even unopened) as you might get fined. We get the health certificate but have never been asked for it. You are supposed to get it within 10 days of crossing but I don't even know anyone who has been asked for it. sounds as if you have everything else. Nancy

surfdoc - 5-20-2011 at 09:30 PM

Never been asked to produce any documentation for any of my dogs........even Scrapps who was at the time a 8 wk old Pit/pointer mixto that had pnemonia, 4 different worms , 3 different parasites and scabies........which trust me (slept under my sweatshirt 3 nights) sucks HUGE!!!

All they asked is that your dog.........yes,
"was it born in America?"......didn't specify which America.......so YES.

OK........pass......... Also as far as dogfood... I only answer what is asked......... IF you give more info then required, well expect many more questions and/or the orange cone.
learned that from 6 years as a forensic nurse at the SDPD/CHP/SDSD.

YMMV tho.

[Edited on 5-21-2011 by surfdoc]

goldhuntress - 5-20-2011 at 10:52 PM

I don't ever get the Health Certificate and have never been asked for one. I even walked over with her a few months ago at San Ysidro and no one asked me anything. I do bring proof of rabies and all her tags. Also, heartworm treatment is a MUST along with a flea/tick treatment. Have a great trip!

nbacc - 5-21-2011 at 07:39 AM

NEVER give more info than asked for. Nancy

Bajajorge - 5-21-2011 at 09:03 AM

After numerous crossings, both north and southbound, I have only been asked for my dog's papers once, and that was by a Mexican Health Inspector at the Calexico East southbound crossing. I have never been asked by US authorities.

I carry my dog's county license and his rabies/parvo/bordetela shot papers.

Jack Swords - 5-21-2011 at 11:14 AM

We too have never been asked for papers by US authorities, but have been asked twice by Mexican authorities at military check points. A simple reason for having the Health Certificate is to not have to run down a vet in Tijuana or Tecate to get the paper if suddenly someone decides to enforce the regulation. Our vet in La Paz charges only $8 for the form. It's like insurance, I sure want it if I need it. Each authority is an individual and seemingly decides what regulations to enforce. We have no problem with our dog's US made dog food which we dutifully declare at each crossing. We are sent to secondary, inspected by the ag guy, and sent off with the dog food. Flying into Cabo, several friends have had to pay for a Mexican Vet to come down to the airport and give a rabies shot to their dog, even though the dog is up to date with the rabies vaccine. Mexico does not recognize the three year vaccine, must be yearly. Some have required a letter from the vet certifying no external nor internal parasites are present in the dog. Again, a visit from the local vet is required. Our vet in the US has a second home in Los Barriles, takes her dogs down, and is aware of what is needed so we carry such letters, Health Certificate, prescriptions for any medicine the dog needs, etc. Again, easier to avoid hassles that might occur than dealing with them in Mexico. Then again, it all depends on the authority you are dealing with.

BajaBruno - 5-21-2011 at 03:15 PM

When my wife brought her Mexican dog from Mex City to SFO, she had more trouble from the Mexican authorities than U.S. customs. Mexico (enforced by the airline counter) wanted a health certificate that was not more than 10 days old and an inspection by the airport vet.

Arriving at SFO, Customs just wanted to make sure there was no contraband in the crate. They didn't seem to care about the beagle inside.

Driving north or south, there have never been any questions about the dog.

DENNIS - 5-21-2011 at 07:47 PM

Like everything else that goes on at the border...........it's not what they have or haven't done in the past. It's what they can do at any given time.
Be prepared.

surfdoc - 5-21-2011 at 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Like everything else that goes on at the border...........it's not what they have or haven't done in the past. It's what they can do at any given time.
Be prepared.

Very true Dennis...........as I always state.. Your Milage May Very ! YMMV!

Bajafun777 - 5-22-2011 at 05:26 PM

Get the Vet Form to show that your dog has shots up to date, as I have crossed our dog at the new and old port in Mexicali with several times having to show form. I have been given several passes without the agent asking but don't chance it. Just make you life and your dog's life easy to avoid Secondary and separation from your animal until you get paperwork. Take Care & Travel Safe-------- "No Hurry, No Worry, Just FUN" bajafun777

Howard - 5-22-2011 at 06:51 PM

Dennis must of been a boy scout.

I agree, why chance anything, have the health certificate.