BajaNomad

VERY white guy gets Mexican posting

Dave - 5-25-2011 at 09:45 AM

No word on whether the ambassador 'espeakees eSpanish'. :rolleyes:

MEXICO CITY — President Barack Obama will nominate Earl Anthony (Tony) Wayne, a high-ranking career diplomat with scant experience in Latin America, as his new ambassador to Mexico, sources confirmed Tuesday.

Read more: http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/nation/7578916.html#ixzz...

DENNIS - 5-25-2011 at 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave

Probably a requirement that he doesn't. It's just more of Obama's kowtowing to Calderón by giving him someone who will say and do nothing but throw a party or two.
Calderón didn't like that sassy Pascual guy so he ran him off.

Since when is Argentina is not Latin America?

Ken Cooke - 5-25-2011 at 07:52 PM

Quote:

MEXICO CITY — President Barack Obama will nominate Earl Anthony (Tony) Wayne, a high-ranking career diplomat with scant experience in Latin America, as his new ambassador to Mexico, sources confirmed Tuesday.

Wayne has been the deputy U.S. ambassador in Afghanistan since May 2010 and was previously the U.S. ambassador to Argentina. The last U.S. ambassador to Mexico, Carlos Pascual, resigned in March after leaked diplomatic cables showed he had criticized Mexican President Felipe Calderon’s antinarcotics strategy.

Link: http://news.bostonherald.com/news/us_politics/view/20110524u...

Marc - 5-26-2011 at 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Cooke
Quote:

Wayne has been the deputy U.S. ambassador in Afghanistan since May 2010 and was previously the U.S. ambassador to Argentina. The last U.S. ambassador to Mexico, Carlos Pascual, resigned in March after leaked diplomatic cables showed he had criticized Mexican President Felipe Calderon’s antinarcotics strategy.

Link: http://news.bostonherald.com/news/us_politics/view/20110524u...

That's encouraging!

Ken Cooke - 5-26-2011 at 07:35 AM

I agree. Plus, Mexico City is closer to the U.S. than Buenos Aires. Although, I would have loved living in Buenos Aires.

Loretana - 5-26-2011 at 09:00 AM

....."Kowtowing to Calderon"????

Take a look at this man's curriculum vitae.......

He has strong ties to the intelligence community.

Looks to me like the President is more concerned about the narco threat emanating from our southern border than an ambassador who will be "partying". IMHO.

DENNIS - 5-26-2011 at 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Loretana

Who's intelligence community? Not Mexico's I would bet. The very last thing Mexico wants is an American meddling in their affairs. That's what Pascual did when voicing his opinion of things and it cost him his job.

[Edited on 5-26-2011 by DENNIS]

There Are Politicians

Gypsy Jan - 5-26-2011 at 12:28 PM

And then there are accomplished, dedicated diplomats.

One is replacing the other.

I Second That Thought

Bajahowodd - 5-26-2011 at 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Loretana
....."Kowtowing to Calderon"????

Take a look at this man's curriculum vitae.......

Looks to me like the President is more concerned about the narco threat emanating from our southern border than an ambassador who will be "partying". IMHO.

After all, anyone that has been posted in Afghanistan ain't no rookie in the diplomatic world, or the "shadow world".