BajaNomad

Fourth forum to analyse the commercialization of the Dorado

flyfishinPam - 6-13-2011 at 08:09 AM

The fourth Dorado forum will be held in Cabo San Lucas on June 24th at the Playa Granda main Salon at 9:00 a.m. I received the official invitation on Wednesday afternoon of last week.

I heard strong rumors since friday the 3rd, that this fourth meeting was to take place in Mazatlan with a followup in Cabo San Lucas at the end of this month. In Lazaro Card##as in May our group was told that the issue wouldn't be persued for another 4 to 6 months, but obviously this is not the case. I find it interesting that no official invitation was made available, and only through my relentless investigations did I receive one and I was one of 5 non politician type persons notified.

So exhausted as I am with this, we're going to battle again.

I ruffled many feathers all last week and the city is getting together a delegation to go to Cabo San Lucas on the 24th. Interestingly enough we will be so busy working that we cannot attend. It will be high season Dorado time in Loreto.

I will write a ponencia on behalf of my cooperativa and I have arranged for a very special person to present it for us; Linda Ramirez Wright, daughter of the late Alfredo Ramirez. She is a fantastic speaker and I know she will do an outstanding job. I believe it is symbolic too as this is the kind of thing her dad used to do all the time, defend our natural resources. As the 24th approaches, please keep us in your thoughts. thanks

shari - 6-13-2011 at 09:15 AM

thanks so much Pam for being on top of this important issue...fantastic news that Linda will be giving the presentation...great idea!!!

Osprey - 6-13-2011 at 11:14 AM

Before we all lose everything in a fight over Only This vs Only That has anybody posed questions about natives and dorados like this: If Mexico wants indigenous people to thrive by catching and selling dorado can't they divise a method and license situation that would make limits work for the fishery?

They make a law but do not address how it will be administered. So multinational concerns drag pangas behind capture ships and kill the whole fishery.

Now we get them to change the law so that every fishermen must wear a tuxedo while fishing. The first international costume shop chain merges with the big capture boat chain and the law has been compromised. And so it goes.

How about allowing the fishermen in pangas a fair share of the fishery ONLY IF THEY FISH A CERTAIN WAY, WITH A CERTAIN KIND OF LICENSE LIKE THEY DO ALL OVER THE GLOBE WHERE THERE ARE TOO MANY FISHERMEN AND NOT ENOUGH FISH?

If you go into meeting anywhere with anyone with an attidude that says "All or Nothing" sometimes you will lose before you get to the meeting.

Nothing good can ever come from the commercialization of fishing for dorado IMO but there are 14,000 panga fishermen in the northern gulf and Mexico thinks they will starve if they don't change the law, allow others to take the money, watch the natives ALMOST STARVE anyway.

baitcast - 6-13-2011 at 11:17 AM

You have my admiration Pam,I wish you all the luck in the world,continue to fight the good fight gal.
Rob

Pescador - 6-16-2011 at 11:02 AM

It is sometimes an interesting comparison to watch the "outsiders" and "commercial guys" come into an area. We have squid in the Santa Rosalia area for the first time in over two years. The local guys go out at night, catch a load, bring them in cleaned and ready and get ready to go out the next day. The old converted Shrimp boats that come from La Paz and Guaymas got wind that there were squid in the area, so they come in, fish all night and into the early morning hours in an effort to load up the entire boat with squid. They camp on the north end of San Marcos Island, make a big mess in the water with squid guts ( which do get eaten) , but the big mess is all the trash and junk that they produce which gets thrown overboard and floats around with the sargasso lines for weeks before it sinks. They are pretty aggresive with their larger boats and have a tendency to harass the local guys who make a mistake of getting into their way. The boats smell so bad that it might be a refreshment to get sent to jail instead of having to spend a couple of weeks aboard. Last count was 13 boats so you can imagine the impact that is having on the squid as well as the area environment.
So, when you want these kind of people to have open limits on the dorado and let them put out longlines or whatever they want to use to catch the fish, you truly have people who really could care less about what goes on with the local fishing because they not only do not live here but have no investment in anything that happens here. The locals, on the other hand, have kind of a built in sensor about what is biting, what is needing a little break in the pressure, and what is plentiful enough to catch their attention. Now that the squid have shown up, the number of boats in the water has tripled in the last few days and they are working the squid like crazy which gives the dorado and yellowtail a small break. We only had three boats on the bajos today.

flyfishinPam - 6-16-2011 at 04:08 PM

I just wrote a KICK A$S ponencia for Linda to read. The diputados will fall off their chairs and it will get a standing ovation!

jenny.navarrette - 6-17-2011 at 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by flyfishinPam
I just wrote a KICK A$S ponencia...

Show them this video:

For the Spanish-challenged, the fishermen in the San Felipe and Mexicali area are complaining that they are getting charged "tolls" and extortion money for the licenses to fish in the Sea of Cortez. They are being charged by people working for PROFEPA, which is the Mexican environmental protection agency. There is a reserve area in the northern SOC to protect the vaquitas, the endangered porpoises, and PROFEPA is taking bribes for licenses to fish it the reserve area.

thanks for that video link I will pass this on it may be of use later on. NFM

flyfishinPam - 6-17-2011 at 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jenny.navarrette