BajaNomad

San Felipe Baja Party Boat???

CortezBlue - 6-14-2011 at 09:27 PM

So, there is not a Baja Boating section, so I placed this under Fishing and Hunting.

I am not a boater. The closest thing that I have is a jet ski, however, my wife wants to get a pontoon/party boat.

Just curious if anyone has used a pontoon style boat in the Sea of Cortez? I think that it is calm enought to use, but I am not sure. Also, besides the obvious issues with salt water, are there any good choices for the pontoon material? Aluminum, Plastic or vinyl?

If you have experience with this, let me know your thoughts.

Also, if anyone knows a good place to store a boat of this size in San Felipe, I would be interested as well.

jureal - 6-15-2011 at 09:01 AM

Sorry but no experience on this but some observations only. First, I can't recall ever seeing a pontoon boat used in the salt. My experiences have been on lakes and rivers only. The times that I have used one, it has been tough to steer when the winds pick up. You may be hard press to get back to shore if the wind starts to blow hard.

mtgoat666 - 6-15-2011 at 09:19 AM

your avg pontoon party boat is for small lakes, places w/o wind and waves. they don't perform well on ocean. you can try, but please take waterproof radio so you can call for help when you flounder. or perhaps tow a sea worthy craft to get into when unseaworthy craft sinks.

wind comes up faster than you can return to shore, and doubt your pontoon party boat will last less than 1 hour in waves and high wind. should be quite a sight to watch it disintegrate in waves and wind!

monoloco - 6-15-2011 at 09:48 AM

I had a friend that thought a pontoon boat would be a good idea for the Columbia River, but he had the crap scared out of him the first time the wind and waves came up. It was almost completely un-steerable.

desertcpl - 6-15-2011 at 10:22 AM

I own a pontoon boat but use it here on the river, I have also had boats for salt water,,
my take on this
you would be asking for real serious problems I have done some boating in Baja before, the winds can come up really fast and the waves can build rather quickly, I know I got caught in a fast moving storm, and we was in a 20' panga, it was really scary,they come on fast

Hook - 6-15-2011 at 10:37 AM

A small deck boat might be doable, due to it's enclosed bow below the gunwales, which will allow the bow to be pushed UP by waves.

Pontoons plow badly once waves are >1 foot or so. The water comes right over the bow and into the living area.

CortezBlue - 6-15-2011 at 11:00 AM

Ok, that is kind of what I figured.

Thanks for the input, I appreciate it

Bob and Susan - 6-15-2011 at 11:09 AM

nope...there's one here

i see it all the time in the winter on the bay

perfect for calmer days

mcfez - 6-15-2011 at 11:19 PM

The real problem with a pontoon style boat....on the Cortez....is that one cannot predict the wind. it REALLY blows at times.....most times in fact. I hate to see you plan ahead for any party on a boat....and then it's windy that day.

I dont recall ever seeing any pontoon boat in SF. and down the coast to BoLA.

How many folks you plan to invite? 6-8....?....there is a charter boat in Puertecitos that may take you out....it's is new and has all you need for a day cruise. BN Beercan here can get you their contact info. He lives across the street.

CortezBlue - 6-16-2011 at 08:55 AM

Maybe I can find 20 50 gallon drums and make a
"we ain't leavin' til were heavin' " diving platform

excursion - 6-16-2011 at 09:11 AM

there is a pontoon at playa burro in bahia concepcion and he is always in the water. i am thinking of taking one to playa el coyote this summer.

mcfez - 6-16-2011 at 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by CortezBlue
Maybe I can find 20 50 gallon drums and make a
"we ain't leavin' til were heavin' " diving platform

Check interiors for bodies first :o