BajaNomad

Isla Cedros fishing?

Cardon Man - 6-23-2011 at 07:02 AM

I know there are a couple of outfitters that run group trip out to Cedros. I'm wondering if one can road trip to GN, jump on a flight to Cedros, and hire a panga once there? No reservations...just go.
Anybody been there? Easy to do?

shari - 6-23-2011 at 07:18 AM

I"m sure you can and it will be a fun adventure.

ElCap - 6-23-2011 at 07:38 AM

A few years ago we flew out to Cedros from Bahia Tortuga in a small private plane. We hired a taxi for the day at the airstrip - he took us into the small town for breakfast, and then he drove us out to the west coast for some freediving and spearfishing while he waited in the car, and then back to the airstrip. I can't remember the cost but it was very reasonable. I imagine there are pangas for hire, but Cedros is somewhat of a company town (saltworks), so it seems appropriate to get something scheduled before you arrive, if that is possible - hopefully some other Nomad can help you out.

Cardon Man - 6-23-2011 at 07:51 AM

Thanks for the input. It probably does make sense to have something set up in advance for a panga. But how to get that done is another story.
Also, I assume there is lodging on Cedros?

shari - 6-23-2011 at 08:20 AM

cedros has fishing coops so there are lots of pangas and fishermen and those fishermen who take people out for the companies would be happy to have a charter I'm sure....it's a small village so prettly easy to ask around and come up with something. Problem with setting something up in advance is sometimes they dont work out either due to weather conditions...big swell, wind etc....sometimes it's fine just to wing it!!!

BajaGringo - 6-23-2011 at 09:17 AM

I recently met a group of folks at an event here in town, including a couple who told me they had been out to Cedros twice to fish. Once via a pre-booked charter and the other by just "winging it", as Shari said.

They both agreed that the best experience by far was by the seat of their pants. They stayed for three full days vs the one day by charter, fished more, caught more, stayed with a local family who rented out their kids bedrooms (who were in college on the peninsula), got a tour of the island, had a great time and actually spent less than they would have by charter.

YMMV...

BillP - 6-23-2011 at 11:06 AM

Do a search on Bloody Decks as it seems someone from there goes every week, lot's of write ups.

I believe this is the outfitter they use

Cedros Outdoors Adventures

shari - 6-25-2011 at 07:07 AM

I just heard that Jose Angel of Cedros Outdoors Adventures can also arrange whatever components of your trip you would like to organize before hand...like flight from GN, hotel, meals, panga or even getting you from Punta Eugenia ( by Turtle Bay) over to Cedros...you can call him at 619-793-5419 and he can answer all your questions...good reliable guy.

yellowklr - 6-27-2011 at 07:59 PM

I did the exact thing you want to do.........I drove to Punta Eugenia and hired a water taxi to Cedros.....Once there I stayed at the local Hotel "Zam Mar" and they arranged my panga fishing for me. Trust me these outfitters have huge markup on all the services. At the very least I'd make reservations at the hotel because its small.
Hotel Zam Mar
zammar_57@hotmail.com
Carlos is the owner and a hell of a nice guy
any questions I'd be glad to help

Cardon Man - 6-28-2011 at 08:21 AM

Thanks for the tips and info!

Bajamatic - 6-28-2011 at 10:30 AM

Who do you leave you car with at Eugenia?

yellowklr - 6-29-2011 at 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajamatic

plenty of nice people in town
I just asked the water taxi guy and he let me keep it at his house.

TonyC - 6-29-2011 at 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaGringo
I recently met a group of folks at an event here in town, including a couple who told me they had been out to Cedros twice to fish. Once via a pre-booked charter and the other by just "winging it", as Shari said.

They both agreed that the best experience by far was by the seat of their pants. They stayed for three full days vs the one day by charter, fished more, caught more, stayed with a local family who rented out their kids bedrooms (who were in college on the peninsula), got a tour of the island, had a great time and actually spent less than they would have by charter.

YMMV...

this is how i plan to go. doing this either late july, or late august this year. you shouldn't have any problem finding someone to take you out.

BajaDanD - 6-29-2011 at 11:02 PM

how much is a flight from Gurrerro Negro to Cedros

gnukid - 6-29-2011 at 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajamatic

Pues los Arces-Arces pues, seriously talk to the Arces.

Punta Eugenia rocks! Hot chicks, cool breezes, and radical sea conditions.

TonyC - 7-1-2011 at 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaDanD
how much is a flight from Gurrerro Negro to Cedros

when i checked, $300. from ensenada around trip, $150. from g.n. around trip...u.s. dollars. may want to bring at least 3 rods. $1. for every pound over your allowed limit. i forgot the limit. it's mexico so the prices are mas o menos. jajaja.

how much for the water taxi from tortuga? the weight limit on the plane sucks, thinkin maybe this is the way to go.

[Edited on 7-1-2011 by TonyC]

yellowklr - 7-1-2011 at 11:36 AM

Water taxi was around 150 dollars but that is for the entire group and its a LARGE panga. Nice thing is you can spend a day or 2 fishing Punta Eugenia which can be real good...............We killed some real big YT at Chesters

BajaDanD - 7-1-2011 at 10:50 PM

any idea how much to hire a panga at Cedros

Cardon Man - 7-2-2011 at 06:52 AM

Does anyone offer flights from Los Cabos to Cedros?