BajaNomad

PUERTO NUEVO, BCS = 615 158-0262 for reservations

BajaBlanca - 7-8-2011 at 09:27 PM

We snuck off and took a mini trip to Puerto Nuevo, about one hour north of bahia asuncion. it is located 11 miles or 14 km off the road between asuncion and tortugas. there is No sign for Puerto Nuevo itself, look for the sign to;

CABANAS EL HUERTO
RANCHO EL TANGALIOTE

road between la bocana and puerto nuevo:

puerto nuevo is a fish camp of about 33 houses. one of the guys, Marcos, loves farming so he decided to go up into the mountains and pipe water down to his rancho. he built 8 cabanas and rents them out for 300 pesos a night, sleeps 3 people easily and a dog or two .... take a peek.

this is a picture of the piping:

the road between the main road to tortugas and the Puerto Nuevo fish camp is excellent and the views on the way beautiful:

the entrance to the camp:

Les loved the pulley system for bringing boats up the shore:

this rug was outside marcos's home - I was told that a guy in tortuga makes them ... sooooo cool

entrance to the rancho

nearby the cabins is a full kitchen:

in summary, it felt like we were going back in time 100 years. there are no phones. no stores at all (take all your food and drinks). no cell phone reception. no internet (obviously). millions of stars at night. no one besides Les and I in one of the 8 cabins and marcos and wife come and visit some, share wonderful san ignacio wine and then go back home and leave you on your own ...

we swam in the slightly balmy nite in a wonderful pool ... with wine and beer in hand. very romantic and very Baja.

If you are interested in going, write or call us here in la bocana 615 156=0056 and we will call marcos's sister who will radio him for your reservation. hey, we could do smokesignals too !

[Edited on 6-10-2012 by BajaBlanca]

tjBill - 7-9-2011 at 12:33 AM

Wow, that's really hidden Baja

shari - 7-9-2011 at 07:24 AM

what a true baja experience indeed! how much are the cabins Blanca? Do they have a website? or are you their booking person...is there a way to contact them directly, cell phone maybe? gracias and have a great party today sweetums.

David K - 7-9-2011 at 08:09 AM

Great job with photos Blanca!

tiotomasbcs - 7-9-2011 at 09:03 AM

Radio contact and no cell phones, great. What will the kids do?:o Were you able to buy some fresh fish or caracol, Amiga? Good place to trade carne asada for some seafood, no? Hwy 1 mileage to Nuevo?? Thanks for sharing. Tio

ElCap - 7-9-2011 at 09:29 AM

You mean 11 miles off the road to Bahia Tortuga, not Mex 1, correct? Very cool to know about the cabins for rent, thanks for the report. Any beach access along there? - from your photos it looks like lots of steep bluffs other than the small cove where they launch the pangas.

Terry28 - 7-9-2011 at 10:05 AM

Very cool...any beach access or surf??

BornFisher - 7-9-2011 at 10:52 AM

That is a beautiful place there. All "fishy" places are beautiful. Thanks for the pics and trip report!

BajaBlanca - 7-9-2011 at 07:56 PM

yes yes yes - the road to tortuga is correct - tomorrow I will have Les give me the specifics .... I was ogling too much and didn't pay attention. not only that, I am the most clueless person when it comes to directions :(

cabins are a whopping 200 pesos a night :yes:

no cell phone shari, no landline either. no webpage since they have no internet and marcos is a real simple retired fisherman turned ranchero. I can get amessage to the sister who will let him know ... if you have a radio , you can radio him which is what the sister does - let me see if I can get details on that or maybe Juan knows ??

great to go as a couple and Les went 2 times with a big group and they had a huge bonfire and really enjoyed themselves.

there is bbeach access but we didn't go. I have no idea about the surf and I bet they don't either. someone is going to have to bite the bullet and check that one out for us.

there are no kids there any more, apparently they recently closed down the school and kids now have to study elsewhere. there were not enough kids to warrant a school. such a shame.

bajajurel - 7-9-2011 at 08:58 PM

That looks like the same Panga retrieve setup they have in San Hipolito

David K - 7-9-2011 at 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tiotomasbcs
Radio contact and no cell phones, great. What will the kids do?:o Were you able to buy some fresh fish or caracol, Amiga? Good place to trade carne asada for some seafood, no? Hwy 1 mileage to Nuevo?? Thanks for sharing. Tio

BAJACAT - 7-12-2011 at 09:17 PM

so much Baja so little time...maybe next year.. thanks Blanca..

BajaBlanca - 7-22-2011 at 07:54 AM

Bajacat - you will LOVE it there...Marcos is a wonderful character and host, and so is his wife. Originally from San Ignacio, he retired and stayed on his rancho but still keeps his ties to San Ignacio ...

David - the maps are great. fantastic. now, we did the dirt road and the paved road, both. the locals think that the dirt road saves a lot of miles, but as you can see, the reality is quite a small difference and the paved road was way better.

Tio - we did not trade for fish or other seafood, but for sure you can. Last time the boys took meat and got lobster - lots of lobster !! September 20th their lobster season starts and that goes til February !! see you there ....

[Edited on 7-24-2011 by BajaBlanca]

krafty - 7-22-2011 at 08:25 AM

Great pix, Blanca- Love the vino poolside!!

rts551 - 7-22-2011 at 08:51 AM

I agree with Blanca's assessment although the last time I was there the cabins had not been built. With the paving and building of roads these places are becoming more accessible. Riding up along this coast in a light vehicle or better yet, on a ATV is a very enjoyable and memorable experience.

woody with a view - 7-22-2011 at 09:18 AM

looks like a great place to hole up for a month or so..... reminds me of sunset cliffs 100 years ago!

BajaGeoff - 7-22-2011 at 12:25 PM

Looks awesome Blanca! I would imagine there is some fun surf in the area too...

Udo - 7-23-2011 at 05:30 PM

Count me IN!

This is MY kind of Baja!

BajaBlanca - 7-23-2011 at 06:03 PM

Marcos so has the right idea ... pool with warmed water....simple cabins with full access to a kitchen - all run on solar power. spotlessly clean and dog friendly (did I mention they gave us a free cabin to put Rex in so that the coyotes wd not hassle him ??)

200 pesos a cabin with 2 full size beds ..

silence.....peace......cats ....butterflies .......perfect.

redmesa - 7-23-2011 at 07:22 PM

Thanks Blanca, we will be going.

BajaBlanca - 7-24-2011 at 02:37 PM

just ask for marcos when you pull into town .... until I get his daughter's phone number (sh e is in tortugas and radios him the reservation), pls write me so that I can give thema heads up via our amigo here in Bocana and make sure they are there to greet you. they go to san igancio's fiestas every year, without fail, so that wd be one time we wd have to have someone else let you in.

take comida. take agua. and def BYOB !!

Marc - 7-25-2011 at 10:56 PM

On my list for sure.

BajaBlanca - 7-27-2011 at 08:42 PM

RESERVATIONS FOR THIS PIECE OF PARADISE:

615 158-0262 MERCEDES

BajaBlanca - 11-22-2011 at 05:51 PM

bumping up !! what happened to my pics ???? guess I have to repost them :(

David K - 11-22-2011 at 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca
bumping up !! what happened to my pics ???? guess I have to repost them :(

You must have changed the photo's locations on Photobucket (moved them to a new album?)??? You can't do that without losing the link to them... Edit and re attach the new URL IMG codes to the same photos.

BajaBlanca - 6-10-2012 at 11:52 AM

we were talking about Puerto Nuevo today at lunch an d I thought I would give it a bump .... such a magical place.

yellowklr - 6-10-2012 at 03:30 PM

how hard is it to get to the beach anyone know?

David K - 6-10-2012 at 03:45 PM

Great.. and like Baja Cactus, there is a TELEPHONE number to call for reservations! Progress way out there, even!

BajaBlanca - 6-10-2012 at 06:50 PM

Did you want to get to the beach to swim, Derek, or to go fishing with the pangeros ? It is really easy to get to the launching beach - I have no idea about the swimming beach, but I am pretty sure we asked about it and were told that it is not far nor difficult to get to - but someone has to go and confirm that ....

BajaBlanca - 6-26-2012 at 02:46 PM

view of beach from behind the cabanas:

Ateo - 7-31-2012 at 08:36 AM

A gem indeed. Thanks for posting Blanca. If I have time I may swing up here and do some exploring, stay the night, and go for a swim.

BajaBlanca - 11-14-2012 at 03:30 PM

time to go back !

luv2fish - 11-14-2012 at 04:30 PM

Place sounds very nice. The wife wants to know about the facilities ( indoor outdoor, behind a bush ?? )

http://mw2.google.com/mw-panoramio/photos/medium/303320.jpg

BajaRat - 11-14-2012 at 07:06 PM

Cant wait, tnx Blanca