BajaNomad

Ruben's Baja Palm Grill, Abut Tvelve Miles South of Rosarito, in Cantamar

Gypsy Jan - 7-10-2011 at 06:39 PM

It's the two-story, palapa-roofed building immediately in front of you when you exit the Cantamar/Primo Tapia turnoff from the Cuota (Toll Road).

Our friends came down to visit us this weekend.

He has been all over the world on his business. It was her first visit to Mexico, and she was scared to come visit us because of the negative press.

She was delighted by the trip. She is an Air Force brat.

We had lunch at Splash, and then met them at Ruben's Palm Grill for Sunday Brunch.

Our old friend told Ruben, "This is the best buffet I have seen ever! My uncle was a worldwide vice-president of Food Services for Marriott."

BTW, his last name is Nixon.

What counts is that we had a wonderful day with good friends (we toasted to the new and old, and the good food and great service).

[Edited on 7-11-2011 by Gypsy Jan]

Bajafun777 - 7-10-2011 at 09:23 PM

Gypsy Jan, you are so right as we too enjoy Ruben's and have never had a bad meal there. They even had an event a few weeks ago for the local orphanage. Glad your friends enjoyed it as our always do. Take Care & Travel Safe---- "No Hurry, No Worry, Just FUN" bajafun777

J.P. - 7-14-2011 at 08:52 PM

Didnt someone else run that place for a while?
We used to enjoy stopping in there.

The Gull - 7-15-2011 at 07:12 AM

Dating back to the late 80's, it was run by a chef from the Cunard lines called Jack. He had an on again, off again relationship with the place. It closed and opened at various times. Just before Ruben bought it, it was being run for a number of years by yet another owner, but it closed again for about a year.

J.P. - 7-15-2011 at 08:28 AM

Like I related in previous post We really liked the place, then we stopped in and the service was awful and the staff was very rude. We swore off, maybe they deserve a second look.

Udo - 7-15-2011 at 08:53 AM

Thanks for the tip GJ!
Been to Splash many times...great food.

Roberto - 7-18-2011 at 12:44 PM

Haven't been there since it was called Palmira. Wonderful Lobster Bisque at the time. We went there for dinner there one evening, and drove back to San Diego. When I got home, I realized I had left my wallet there. All my credit cards, DL and about $500 in cash.

Went back. Got there at 2:00 AM. Went to the police station up the street. They woke up the Dueno, who had my wallet, not a penny or anything else missing!

I did step in one evening about 3-4 years later, and found a much fancier interior, with a bunch of gringos gathered at the bar. Just didn't look like my type of place any more.

elgatoloco - 7-18-2011 at 01:12 PM

Ruben was trained by one of the best in the business.

tripledigitken - 7-18-2011 at 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by elgatoloco

elgatoloco,

By whom and what talents, front of the house or back? Is his teacher still in business in the area?

Ken

Dave - 7-18-2011 at 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by elgatoloco

It didn't take. Our friend was the best at polishing a pig. Unfortunately, they broke the mold. :(

OK, There is a Lot of Cryptic Unresponses Here

Gypsy Jan - 7-18-2011 at 07:20 PM

We first met Ruben in about 2003 when he was the host and greeter at La Fonda, working with the operator, Dmytri.

After La Fonda changed hands, Ruben opened up Ruben's Restaurant, across the street from the Las Gaviotas community.

He worked very hard and made a success at that location.

Then he took on the challenge of the historic or infamous Palmira or The Palms in Cantamar; however you want to characterize it, owned by the Borja family.

He has made a great success out of it. On any night or Sunday brunch, the customer profile is composed of Mexicans, Mexican-Americans, and Gringos

Hugo Torres, the former mayor of Rosarito and owner of the Rosarito Beach Hotel and his family dine there.

Ruben is alway stepping up his game; changing the food offerings and making sure that everyone is happy and taking in comments from his customers

[Edited on 7-19-2011 by Gypsy Jan]

woody with a view - 7-18-2011 at 07:25 PM

anyone remember a guy named Garth there?

Dave - 7-19-2011 at 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
anyone remember a guy named Garth there?

Garth operated the restaurant as Palmiras in the late '90s. His manager was Jack. The next operator was John Godfrey. He doubled the interior space, changed the name to the Palm Grill and operated it successfully for the better part of a decade. Ruben is John's successor.