BajaNomad

Loreto or La Paz

O.G. - 7-16-2011 at 03:40 PM

Plan on another fishing trip with my boy in August. Where would you go for billfish and/or Dorado--La Paz or Loreto? And, should we just "wing it" and arrive, or make reservations with a charter outfit? Either destination more cost effective than the other?

Howard - 7-16-2011 at 04:52 PM

I personally like Loreto for all that it has to offer. If I were going down strictly for the fishing, I would probably take LaPaz for better fishing results.
I am sure someone from LaPaz will be better at the wing it vs. reservations.

bajajurel - 7-16-2011 at 10:08 PM

You can wing it at either destination. There are plenty of places to stay and pangas for rent. I love both places. See my post the other day about my last trip to El Sargento / La Ventana (close to La Paz). These days it's hard to say where the fish are biting.

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=53992#pid6359...

fish101 - 7-17-2011 at 05:50 AM

Plenty of places to stay in Loreto and if you go to the Marina, you can get a better deal on a panga, instead of using any of the Charter groups here. We recently caught bill fish, yellowtail and Dorado, so no need to go to La Paz. WAHOO were seen approximately 35 miles northeast of Loreto on 6/16.

Pescador - 7-17-2011 at 07:01 AM

Since you are so flexible, you just need to watch the current reports. I have fished both areas a lot and while La Paz can be really productive, it is more readily influenced by fish migrations. Those fish are usually moving through headed north or south and things get really good when they are in the area, but it can also be the deadest area I have ever seen when nothing is moving.
Loreto is usually more stable that time of the year and it can be influenced by major storms but you can check those out before leaving.