BajaNomad

Guerrero Negro

TonyC - 7-17-2011 at 01:11 PM

Is there a launch ramp in guerrrero negro? i want to launch there, and fish isla de cedros for a few days. map shows it about 45 miles to isla de cedros.

tiotomasbcs - 7-17-2011 at 04:15 PM

Good question! Friends camp at the Lagoon in Jesus Maria, actually Morro Santo Domingo. Had to look at my reference map--why not go out from Vizcaino--Tortugas?? Pura Baja Vieja. Let's see what the Veteranos say? Suerte. Tio

Bajahowodd - 7-17-2011 at 04:28 PM

Is there no ramp out at the ejido dock where the whale tours commence?

TonyC - 7-17-2011 at 05:00 PM

tortuga, and punta eugenia are my plan B options. i heard the road is kinda of sucky. i'm heading down to san quintin in 2 weeks, and will take 4 days to recon. GN, and the road to tortuga...punta eugenia is not to far from tortuga. i was hoping for some BN advice. my boat is 18 ft. with a single axle trailer. i plan to take my boat the last week in august.

shari - 7-17-2011 at 06:22 PM

you can launch out at La Isla....which is where the lighthouse is...turn right after the bank and the launch area is on the left before you get to the lighthouse. There is usually a panga there....then you hang a right and go out the mouth of the lagoon to the open pacific. Your vehicle may be at some risk being left out there though so get someone to park it in town somewhere.

the other launch area is out at Chaparito port where the salt barges go from but it is restricted access.

TonyC - 7-17-2011 at 08:58 PM

you go shari....thanks a bunch.

tiotomasbcs - 7-18-2011 at 06:53 AM

Amigo, sure your smart enough to inform people when and where you're going!? Cell phone. Too many incidents lately. Buen viaje. Fishing & surfing? Sale, Tio

TonyC - 7-18-2011 at 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tiotomasbcs
Amigo, sure your smart enough to inform people when and where you're going!? Cell phone. Too many incidents lately. Buen viaje. Fishing & surfing? Sale, Tio

tio, thank you for the heads up advice. i'll be in contact/check in with someone with regards to my 20 at all times. i usally check in every couple of hours. if i don't they'll know where to start looking. thanks again.

shari, is there a bar at the boca to the open ocean? i've got a map, but things change. i have a few more weeks to hammer out the details. oh yeah, i do have someone in town that will allow me to leave my truck, and trailer at his place after i launch. if i decide to leave the boat in san quintin, and recon. in my truck, i'll be sure to swing by bahia asuncion to introduce myself, and say hey.

Tony C

bajaguy - 7-18-2011 at 03:43 PM

Get a SPOT:

http://www.findmespot.com/en/

shari - 7-18-2011 at 07:11 PM

yes you have to cross the bar to get to the open ocean so be carefull there as it is a very narrow opening and shallow and can have standing waves when the tide ebbs.

Somehow Sadly Curious

Bajahowodd - 7-18-2011 at 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
you can launch out at La Isla....which is where the lighthouse is...turn right after the bank and the launch area is on the left before you get to the lighthouse. There is usually a panga there....then you hang a right and go out the mouth of the lagoon to the open pacific. Your vehicle may be at some risk being left out there though so get someone to park it in town somewhere.

the other launch area is out at Chaparito port where the salt barges go from but it is restricted access.

Just thought that in a company town, poverty and crime was not a problem. Go figure.

shari - 7-18-2011 at 09:14 PM

there has been a crime wave in GN recently...and the thing is that el Faro or la isla is waaaay out there and often visited by people drinking. The company town part is fancy and prosperous but there are a few very very poor neighbourhoods too.

TonyC - 7-19-2011 at 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
yes you have to cross the bar to get to the open ocean so be carefull there as it is a very narrow opening and shallow and can have standing waves when the tide ebbs.

if i launch in GN i'll make sure to cross the bar near the top of the tide, an 1 hour or so on the incoming. i'm trying to get a local panga so i can follow someone out pass the bar, and hopefully the same for the return. if you you know anyone shari hook me up.

if i don't launch in GN, i'll go for tortuga, or pt eugina.

[Edited on 7-19-2011 by TonyC]

shari - 7-19-2011 at 10:58 AM

the pangas that leave from la isla go out over the bar so maybe you can talk to those fishermen and see what time they leave...prolly pretty early to get back before the wind comes up.

TonyC - 7-20-2011 at 09:02 PM

shari, thanks so much for your help, and suggestions. after much research, i feel the way to go is to launch in tortuga. i'll take it nice and slow on the road. i'll call russ in tortuga for for input.

thanks again.