BajaNomad

El Rey Sol

O.G. - 7-20-2011 at 07:18 AM

Thought I'd give El Rey Sol in Ensenada one more try Monday night. My last two times were a disappointment. Ordered the lamb chops and, again, my dinner was mediocre. The lamb was ok but the little vegetables looked like from the previous nite. Obviously reheated. The little pastries preceding the dinner also not fresh. Since I sat down at 5 P.M., it wasn't a case of getting there late and getting served food that sat on the steam table too long. I think they were using up Sunday Brunch leftovers. Ever wonder what happens to all the food left over from Sunday Brunch at all the restaurants that have it? Me and another couple were the only ones in the place -- but it was Monday... . Only positive note was that the service was very good. Wish they had cleaned up the toothpick, little bits of paper and other remnants off of the floor better.:no:

Bajafun777 - 7-20-2011 at 07:43 AM

Too bad as El Rey Sol is one of my favorite places to eat when looking for lamb. If they served me something I thought was not cooked well I would voice my thoughts on it to the waiter. I would also tell the manager, as you are right the cost is not cheap but I do not mind paying for something cooked properly and service that lets me enjoy it. I do not go to these high end pricing places often but when I do I want it all and they paid properly when I do go even the waiter.LOL Take Care & Travel Safe----- "No Hurry, No Worry, Just FUN" bajafun777

Sad That El Rey Sol in Ensenada is Disappointing

Gypsy Jan - 7-20-2011 at 02:08 PM

Try Tapanco in Rosarito. Farm raised lamb from their ranch.

I always get a perfect, medium-rare rack of lamb from the wood fired grill.

Bajahowodd - 7-20-2011 at 04:17 PM

Three observations.

First, having been a happy customer of Rey Sol for many years, I have also noticed a decline in the quality of the cuisine.

Second, my first guess for a reason of such decline had to do with the steep drop off of tourist business in Ensenada. It's hard to keep a deep menu stocked with quality ingredients, if you know you're gonna have alot of spoilage.

Third, I'm told that another issue may be that the owner, Jean Loup Bitterlin doesn't even reside in Mexico any longer. Equals absentee ownership.