BajaNomad

AND I THOUGHT IT WAS TOUGH

vseasport - 7-26-2011 at 11:50 AM

We are officially in our hurricane season. When there are reports of a storm heading this way it adds stress to our otherwise stress free lifestyle. Hurricane Dora with reported winds of 155 MPH did just that. We were spared as she moved to the West but not without causing a big swell and rough boat rides for a couple of days.

In my mind I thought fishing was tough this week until downloading the images we captured. Between the bumps marlin, sailfish and dorado provided plenty of action.

One highlight for Jim Durky was bagging his first sailfish after 12 years of trying. One frustration was finding only marlin in the Dorado Shoot Out only to have them show up later in the week.

Mark Rayor
www.thejenwren.com
www.vistaseasport.com
markrayor.blogspot.com

Pescador - 7-26-2011 at 12:48 PM

I know that everyone likes a picture with the marlin, but the chances of survival are much better if you leave them in the water and do not drag them up the side of the boat where they lose slime, get infected, and oftentimes suffer internal injuries. It is especially important for a charter to set the stage for proper release.

luv2fish - 7-26-2011 at 09:44 PM

Pescador, refreshing to hear your coments on the release of these beautiful fish. B.T.W whats going on with the comercialization of the Dorado ??

Pescador - 7-27-2011 at 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by luv2fish
Pescador, refreshing to hear your coments on the release of these beautiful fish. B.T.W whats going on with the comercialization of the Dorado ??

Pam Bolles from Loreto and Robin Wade from Western Outdoor News have been to the most recent meetings, but it is my understanding that the response to opening up the commercial harvest of Dorado came so fast and so hard that they are backing off a little. Of course, that can be scary too since it might mean that things have gone to the "back room".

I probably needed to tone down my response a little bit, but I was a little stretched out from looking at the pictures. I see a lot of captains who should know better claiming that they did a catch and release because that is the "cool" thing to do, but they drag the fish around till it is almost gone, have bleeding and other signs of trauma, or drag the fish up on the deck for a picture and then think that they have done the right thing when they claim a release. I have gone down with a snorkel and watched some of these fish and they slowly sink out of sight. I catch a lot of billfish but never, never lift them out of the water even though a lot of people want their picture taken with their fish. These fish are already stressed due to hot water, the length of the fight, and maybe a hook in the wrong place, and it is sad to see that they get further damage for a "Hero Picture".

tripledigitken - 7-27-2011 at 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pescador
Quote:
Originally posted by luv2fish

Pam Bolles from Loreto and Robin Wade from Western Outdoor News have been to the most recent meetings, but it is my understanding that the response to opening up the commercial harvest of Dorado came so fast and so hard that they are backing off a little. Of course, that can be scary too since it might mean that things have gone to the "back room".

I probably needed to tone down my response a little bit, but I was a little stretched out from looking at the pictures. I see a lot of captains who should know better claiming that they did a catch and release because that is the "cool" thing to do, but they drag the fish around till it is almost gone, have bleeding and other signs of trauma, or drag the fish up on the deck for a picture and then think that they have done the right thing when they claim a release. I have gone down with a snorkel and watched some of these fish and they slowly sink out of sight. I catch a lot of billfish but never, never lift them out of the water even though a lot of people want their picture taken with their fish. These fish are already stressed due to hot water, the length of the fight, and maybe a hook in the wrong place, and it is sad to see that they get further damage for a "Hero Picture".

Pescador,

I always read your posts regarding fishing with great interest. Would you describe your technique for releasing/reviving bill fish.

Ken

BajaGringo - 7-27-2011 at 11:31 AM

I am going to show my ignorance here - what is that hanging off the fish down near the tail???

choyero - 7-27-2011 at 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaGringo
I am going to show my ignorance here - what is that hanging off the fish down near the tail???

It looks like a Lamprey of some sort.

mtgoat666 - 7-27-2011 at 12:07 PM

Quote:
These fish are already stressed due to hot water, the length of the fight, and maybe a hook in the wrong place, and it is sad to see that they get further damage for a "Hero Picture".

It's not a "Hero Picture." It's an "Abu Ghraib picture."

So many people want to be Lynndie England,... so sad

Pescador - 7-27-2011 at 01:53 PM

Quote:

That is a remora which is a parasite type fish that swims around attached or very close to the parent fish and when they eat something there are always little scaps in the water that they feed on. We think that when you see a billfish repeatedly jumping it is to knock them little suckers loose.

Pescador - 7-27-2011 at 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken

Pescador,

I always read your posts regarding fishing with great interest. Would you describe your technique for releasing/reviving bill fish.

Ken

Okay, I know from experience when the fish is showing signs of weakness and getting tired. I put on a pair of gloves to protect against the rasp of the bill and try to grab the bill fairly close to the mouth. The first time or two that I touch the bill, you have to be careful as they will slash at you and can cause some serious injury. When I grab hold of the bill, I either flip the hook out with the other hand or use an ARC Dehooker (can google this). If someone wants a picture, then we get them as close to the head of the fish as possible and get them and the fish in the frame. If the fish is showing strength then he swims away easily, but some fish are really shot in 85 degree water and need a little more. I put the boat in gear and swim the fish with the fin up in the air. I have spent as long as 55 minutes on revival before, but most fish are going to swim away on their own as long as they are a little "green". The trick seems to be to know when they are too tired to swat you, but strong enough to swim when they are let go.
I really like the ARC dehooker and think that is the best invention I have ever used for release. It allows you to keep your hands at a safe distance. When I get a blue marlin anywhere over 300 lbs, they can really hurt you so the ARC dehooker lets you keep a respectable distance and get a release much faster than if you had to wear the fish down to exhaustion.
When there are a lot of fish and we are using live bait, I now have gone to the Mustad Fine wire circle hook (39952BL, I think) in a 9/0 or so size and I will cut right next to the hook as this hook has been tested to rust out within a very short time.

I apoligize to Mark Rayor as I did not want to come across in a negative way about this, but I am very glad we are having the discussion. I have raised hell on Bloodydecks about the same issue and hopefully we can effect some change about how these fish are handled.

BajaGringo - 7-27-2011 at 02:07 PM

Quote:
Quote:

That is a remora which is a parasite type fish that swims around attached or very close to the parent fish and when they eat something there are always little scaps in the water that they feed on. We think that when you see a billfish repeatedly jumping it is to knock them little suckers loose.

Thanks Pescador...

Skipjack Joe - 7-27-2011 at 02:07 PM

Usually when a striped marlin or sailfish looks dark like that it's overstressed and having difficulty. A fresh fish has rich blue colors and the bars are clearly visible.

Those fish were fought for too long prior to lifting into the boat. But it's a learning experience. Most new anglers want to get the most out of the experience and let them run longer than it's good for the fish.

The lady angler looks fine.

I'm not laying blame for anything we haven't done ourselves. We caught a skipjack this summer and by the time we got done photographing there was no reviving it. It just sank to the bottom.