BajaNomad

What to use to rust-proof my beach truck

joel - 8-10-2011 at 08:39 AM

What's the best paint-on product available in Baja to rust "proof" the underside of my beach car?

[Edited on 8-12-2011 by joel]

willyAirstream - 8-10-2011 at 08:57 AM

Por 15 products

http://www.por15.com/

Woooosh - 8-10-2011 at 09:26 AM

Rust Bullet is my weapon of choice against rust. "Rust Bullet Beats POR 15 and Other Market Leaders In Independent Laboratory Testing".

http://www.rustbullet.com/

[Edited on 8-10-2011 by Woooosh]

BooJumMan - 8-10-2011 at 06:26 PM

I use Rust Bullet as well. Same pretty much as POR 15

joel - 8-11-2011 at 07:46 AM

Can either of these be bought in baja?

J.P. - 8-11-2011 at 10:30 AM

I have ben painting my iron fence with rustoleium for several years. The last two times I was not satisfyed with the paint It just dont hold up the way it used too

Barry A. - 8-11-2011 at 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by J.P.
I have ben painting my iron fence with rustoleium for several years. The last two times I was not satisfyed with the paint It just dont hold up the way it used too

-------because the greenies have forced the removal of the really effective anti-rust compounds in the paint, according to what the Paint Companies tell me. I go over to Reno to buy my paints now------Nevada is much more realistic about what they have legislated out of paints. Just try to buy a decent oil-based preservative for your log or natural wood house in CA------can no longer be done---------have to go to Nevada to get it (same brand---different formulation). Very frustrating. Oh you can get it in CA, but all the "good stuff" has been removed and the paint simply does not work very well anymore.

My son and I just went thru this, and we know---------

Barry

Woooosh - 8-11-2011 at 04:59 PM

I've always bought RustBullet at their on-line store or on Ebay and just had it shipped. I have never seen it at Home Depot. Buy the smallest possible can for the job (I buy four quart cans instead of a one gallon can) because once you open it you need to use it all.

mtgoat666 - 8-11-2011 at 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
Quote:
Originally posted by J.P.

-------because the greenies have forced the removal of the really effective anti-rust compounds in the paint, according to what the Paint Companies tell me. I go over to Reno to buy my paints now------Nevada is much more realistic about what they have legislated out of paints. Just try to buy a decent oil-based preservative for your log or natural wood house in CA------can no longer be done---------have to go to Nevada to get it (same brand---different formulation). Very frustrating. Oh you can get it in CA, but all the "good stuff" has been removed and the paint simply does not work very well anymore.

My son and I just went thru this, and we know---------

Barry

why buy your toxins in NV? this is a mexico board, you should buy your oil-based paints and stains in baja!

Barry A. - 8-11-2011 at 10:20 PM

Goat------I would but Reno is closer to me (I am in Redding, CA)

Barry

Rust

C-Urchin - 8-11-2011 at 10:41 PM

In Canada, where rust is a problem becuase of salt on the roads in winter we use regular motor oil.

Get a guy to spray it under the body of the car and it will last at least 2 years with each application. Sometimes "Low-Tech" is the best. I am confident that the locals know about it...Always ask the locals.

landyacht318 - 8-12-2011 at 07:41 AM

Check out this persons solution:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=show...