BajaNomad

New visa requirements

oxxo - 9-15-2011 at 07:59 AM

I have just applied to renew my FM-3 visa in San Lucas. I use a company called "Easy Papers." It is owned and operated by Luis Cervantes who is an immigration official by day and a visa processsor by night. Yes, I know I can do this myself at no cost (other than the cost of the visa) but I choose to pay him to do it for personal reasons.

Here is the latest scoop on visas. He said that this is all brand new and hasn't been published yet, but all the staff is going through "training" right now.
- the Fm-2, FM-3 visas are being eliminated
- the new visas will be listed as "visitor", "resident", and "permanent resident."
- You need to have a "visitor" visa for 5 years before you can apply for the "resident" visa. The cost of the visitor visa will be the same as an FM-3, 1400p per year.
- You need to have a "resident" visa for 4 year before you can apply for a "permanent resident" visa. The cost of the resident visa is the same as an FM-2, 2800p per year
- The new "permanent resident" visa will be free and it will be permanent, with no annual renewal.
- Once you have the "permanent resident" visa, you can apply for Mexican citizenship.
- There is talk (but not confirmed) that a "permanent resident" visa may exempt you from Mexican capital gain taxes when selling a property.

No more of the inmigrado, no inmigrado business.

**** there is an exception to the above: If you qualify for one of the three below, you can apply for "resident" visa immediately.
1. you own a property in Mexican with a valid Fideicomiso or deed
or
2. You are married to a Mexican citizen
or
3. You have legal Mexican children

Therefore, since I qualify for #1 above I am applying for "resident" status immediately even though I have had an FM-3 for only one year. It is a way to fast-track the path to citizenship and also eliminate the hassle of annual renewal of visas.

We did not discuss how this new system woulld affect tourist visas.

Please, I am only repeating what he told me. I don't know any more details than what I have stated above. I realize that things could change again in a couple of years (or a couple of days). But, I have applied for the new "resident" visa and should receive it in 3 to 4 weeks.

Russ - 9-15-2011 at 08:21 AM

As the new rules become more clear would someone please check or what those of us that already have inmigrado status will be required to do?

oladulce - 9-15-2011 at 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by oxxo
...I have applied for the new "resident" visa and should receive it in 3 to 4 weeks.

We submitted FM2 renewal paperwork in La Paz on Friday Sept 9. All application procedures were unchanged. The INM online application forms were unchanged and there were no other options presented on the gov. website that indicated they were instituting the new rules.

Do you think that by utilizing an agent, you had an inside track to choices we didn't know about or could this be a difference in the specific immigration offices' procedures? I realize you probably don't know all the details oxxo, but did you get the impression from your agent that he was able to fast track you somehow?

If so, maybe I can do something about it before we return to La Paz pick up our stuff next week.

oxxo - 9-15-2011 at 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by oladulce
Do you think that by utilizing an agent, you had an inside track to choices we didn't know about or could this be a difference in the specific immigration offices' procedures? I realize you probably don't know all the details oxxo, but did you get the impression from your agent that he was able to fast track you somehow?

Good questions, oladulce. I don't have the answers. Luis seemed to be saying this was the latest, hot off the wire information. I'm not sure he has all the answers. I am sure there will be mass confusion for awhile! In the meantime, I have applied for the new "resident" visa. We will see what develops. :?:

I have not posted his business telephone number or email address because it is not my purpose to promote his business on BN, but with a little googling I'm sure you can find it. BTW, he charged me 2000p to process my application plus the cost of the 2800p for the visa.

Lee - 9-15-2011 at 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by oxxo
- the Fm-2, FM-3 visas are being eliminated...

Therefore, since I qualify for #1 above I am applying for "resident" status immediately even though I have had an FM-3 for only one year.

Assuming this is true, is the assumption that someone holding a current FM-2 for 5 years, but hasn't applied for national status, would be starting over?

And is ''fast track'' in your case 4 years of resident status -- before being eligible for citizenship?

Four years doesn't sound fast to me.

ncampion - 9-15-2011 at 10:25 AM

This all sounds good. Hope all the details get worked out before I have to renew in April.

oxxo - 9-15-2011 at 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee
Assuming this is true, is the assumption that someone holding a current FM-2 for 5 years, but hasn't applied for national status, would be starting over?

Lee, I don't know if you would have to start all over - I doubt it. But if you qualify for one of the three exceptions, you can apply for the "Resident" visa immediately, like I did.

Quote:
And is ''fast track'' in your case 4 years of resident status -- before being eligible for citizenship?

Four years doesn't sound fast to me.

Well it would be fast track in my case because I would need 5 years of FM-3 and then 5 years of FM-2 before applying for citizenship. In my case it would be cut from 10 years to 4 years with a resident visa.

oladulce - 9-15-2011 at 11:06 AM

This might be what Lee was saying, but my question has been will we get any credit for our years with an FM2 towards the "Permanent Resident" status. Or or do we have to start all over as a "Temporary resident " for 4 years before applying as a "Permanent"? I thought we were on the path to Inmigrado with our FM2's and it will be disappointing if we have to start all over.

Since our paperwork is already in the office I imagine we're sol for this year. I'll ask some questions when we pick up our docs in La Paz next week to see if they know anything yet.

DianaT - 9-15-2011 at 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ncampion
This all sounds good. Hope all the details get worked out before I have to renew in April.

Ah, such positive thinking. :biggrin:

OXXO, thanks very much for all the information---it is a beginning for understanding what the changes will mean. At the end of June our immigration office told us they did not know what was going to happen, but it sounds like the training has started. Glad you shared what you have learned.

The current FM2 is more expensive than the FM3 and it sounds like that will be the case for "resident" status. Besides fast tracking to permanent, what are the other advantages of that status and is the paper work more involved?

Thanks.

oxxo - 9-15-2011 at 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by oladulcebut my question has been will we get any credit for our years with an FM2 towards the "Permanent Resident" status. Or or do we have to start all over as a "Temporary resident " for 4 years before applying as a "Permanent"?

I don't know, but I don't THINK they will make you start all over. It was explained to me that they are trying to make the system more simple and equatable.

oxxo - 9-15-2011 at 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DianaT
The current FM2 is more expensive than the FM3 and it sounds like that will be the case for "resident" status.

Currently the cost of the visitor visa is the same as an FM-3. The cost of the resident visa is the same as an FM-2. Cost of visas has not gone up.

Quote:
Besides fast tracking to permanent, what are the other advantages of that status and is the paper work more involved?

Evidently there may be additional advantages such as potential waiving of capital gain taxes, perhaps easier to get work permits, etc.......but those provisions are still being worked out (my guy simply doesn't know yet). Also I was told that you will now need a resident visa to get the senior discount card. I haven't had one in the past, but I am getting one included with my new resident visa. With the senior card, you get 50% off on your traffic fines! :lol: You will also get 50% off on your property taxes, plus discounts many other places, including prescriptions, etc.

The paperwork looks exactly the same to me as before. It is certainly not an onerous process. But as I said earlier I prefer to pay him to process everything.....it is nice to have friends in the right places.

bajajudy - 9-15-2011 at 01:37 PM

Jeez
They just went to the cards and ship canned the booklets. I havent even had my card a year.
Jim's renewal is in process and has been for a while. Maybe that is the hold-up. My father-in-laws FM3 is ready and they went in at the same time. Actually it has been ready for over a week.
Vamos a ver

CortezBlue - 9-15-2011 at 04:44 PM

Ok, so I called my lady in San Felipe and she had the following comments.

1. They are changing the rules because it has something to do with the cartel registering folks from central america to move freely within Mexico to transport durgs

2. She said there are a bunch of rumors and when she spoke to Immigration they told here that nothing was changing until Nov.1 and that they were not aware of the changes at that time.

BajaBlanca - 9-15-2011 at 09:54 PM

I find it just astounding how often the rules change....there is no way to keep up ! holy smokes.

BajaWarrior - 9-16-2011 at 04:28 AM

I renewed my FM3 this summer. I applied in July and picked up my new card in late August. My agent had photos of me which had been submitted but when I went to pick up my ready FM3 I was told I had to go to the "Copy Center" to get hard copy photos because the Digital photos were no longer accepted. That had changed only one day before arriving to pick up my document.

Oh well, down to Copy Center, get some pictures taken, told to come back in two hours? Ouch, talked her into an hour. Got some Tacos, drove around, got my photos, went to Immagration, they processed/laminated my card and I was outa there.

Yes, we will see what changes take place next year...

larryC - 9-16-2011 at 01:38 PM

I go to Ensenada on this Tues to pick up my FM2 renewal. I'll ask if they know anything about any changes. Actually most of this sounds the same as it has been for a while just different teminology. You have been able to start with an FM2 for a couple of years now if you have a fideocomiso.
Larry

oxxo - 9-17-2011 at 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by larryC Actually most of this sounds the same as it has been for a while just different teminology.

My understanding (as it was explained to me) is, yes and no. Yes, the new visitor visa is roughly comparable to a FM-3. The new resident visa is roughly comparable to a FM-2. But what is really new is the new permanent resident visa. This is a new permanent visa with no annual renewal requirement and no annual cost.

It will be intereting to see how this develops!

bajajudy - 9-17-2011 at 06:41 AM

"This is a new permanent visa with no annual renewal requirement and no annual cost. "

Actually by the current rules, after you have your FM2 for 5 years you are done...no more renewals, no more fees

SFandH - 9-17-2011 at 06:47 AM

I'm wondering if rules stating you can't leave the country for specified periods of times apply anywhere.

What's the best visa for part time residents? Are you a tourist or are you a resident?

[Edited on 9-17-2011 by SFandH]

oxxo - 9-17-2011 at 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajajudy
Actually by the current rules, after you have your FM2 for 5 years you are done...no more renewals, no more fees

gracias Judy, I didn't know that. I guess the period to permanent resident is reduced from 5 years to 4 years now. Quien sabe :?:

Quote:
Originally posted by SFandH
I'm wondering if rules stating you can't leave the country for specified periods of times apply anywhere.

What's the best visa for part time residents?

I think the answer to that question depends on how much time do you spend in Baja and how often do you go forth and back.

As an aside, I told my guy that when I fly in and out of Baja I always check out with immigration at the airport before leaving to get my visa stamped. But when I drive in and out of Baja (which is most of the time) I don't bother to check out with Mexican immigration at the border. He just laughed and said "you are like most people, and that is a big no-no." He said at this time, immigration does not have a good system to check on this. So, most of the time no problema. But he said in the future he predicts that there will be new rules that require that all vehicles will be stopped at the border to check for a valid visa before entry into Mexico. If you have a visa, other than a tourist visa, and you did not check out of Mexico properly, "YOU WILL BE IN BEEEEEK CACA SENIOR! But give me a call and I can knock $10 off your fine and a week off your prison time" :lol:

[Edited on 9-17-2011 by oxxo]

Update oxxo?

oladulce - 10-7-2011 at 12:18 PM

Did you get your new cards yet oxxo? Can we have an update? Any changes on your immigration status?

We picked ours up yesterday and no change in the card or the process in the La Paz office. Our cards say "Inmigrante Rentista, Refrendo 1" . It's our 2nd year with FM2's so we're on our 1st renewal.

Sorry we were in a hurry, and I didn't ask the agent at INM about the changes at this office.

BajaBlanca - 10-7-2011 at 08:30 PM

oladulce - you do NOT want to be a rentista since you are not renting ... better get that fixed, amiga !

new visa changes

prema2 - 11-11-2011 at 11:13 AM

I renew my FM3 on December 3rd and I do have a fidiocomiso. I am hoping someone here can respond and let me know if I can fast track to resident...and permanant status as its expensive to do every year.... Can someone let me know if and where they did a fast track as 0xx0 was referring to. I would love to hear from you

bajaguy - 11-11-2011 at 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by prema2
I renew my FM3 on December 3rd and I do have a fidiocomiso. I am hoping someone here can respond and let me know if I can fast track to resident...and permanant status as its expensive to do every year.... Can someone let me know if and where they did a fast track as 0xx0 was referring to. I would love to hear from you

You can switch from an FM-3 to an FM-2 anytime, no fast track, though. Takes 5 years on an FM-2 to get to the free stage.......I believe.

prema2 - 11-11-2011 at 02:42 PM

Thanks...that should give me a few more days fishing and save enough to buy bait and lures for my next panga trip

dtbushpilot - 11-11-2011 at 03:19 PM

Just finished our FM2 renewal in La Paz, same drill as before, same card. New rules haven't been implemented yet, My expediter and I talked at length about the upcoming changes, it's still a "wait and see" thing......dt

bajabound2005 - 11-13-2011 at 08:40 AM

and a new government coming into office next with the elections, so it may all change again before this is even implemented!

DENNIS - 11-13-2011 at 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by dtbushpilot
changes, it's still a "wait and see" thing......dt

Who would expect otherwise? It just comes with the territory, I guess.

prema2 - 12-4-2011 at 05:47 PM

my application for an fm2 was accepted with proof that I have a fidiocomiso so the truth is there in the post that you can jump from fm3 to fm2 if you can prove you have a trust set up with the mexican bank...thanks...that saved me having to do fm3 3 more times

Pescador - 12-5-2011 at 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by prema2
my application for an fm2 was accepted with proof that I have a fidiocomiso so the truth is there in the post that you can jump from fm3 to fm2 if you can prove you have a trust set up with the mexican bank...thanks...that saved me having to do fm3 3 more times

I do not have a fideo and was able to move from a 3 to a 2 with just a simple change in the application.

Cheep - 8-31-2012 at 02:48 PM

Dredging up an old thread...

Just completed my first FM2 renewal. No apparent change to the procedures or the documentation needed (CFE statement, most recent three months of bank statements, the letter requesting resident status, copies of passport and current FM2 card, completed application form from INM website, and yes...new photos). Fee was 3140 pesos...about the same as last year, I reckon.

Filled out the application online on 22 August. Went to the Cabo San Lucas INM office the next day. Gave 'em the stuff, paid the fee, went home. On 28 August the INM website where you can track the progress of your paperwork told me to presentarle myself back to the office. I went in today (31 August) and they gave me my new card. Pretty clean.

If you're going through this for the first time, this website was helpful to me in trying to understand both the renewal and initial application process:

http://jaltembajalapeno.com/foreign-residents/mexico-visas-%...

I will also put in a plug for the staff at the Cabo San Lucas INM office. Every single person that I dealt with (this year and last year) was extremely helpful, efficient, and good-spirited.

So in a nutshell, no new information, nothing has changed...which sometimes is good news all by itself.

Cheers.

-Cheep.

David K - 8-31-2012 at 03:14 PM

That's a sweet looking link, but I wish it was an official government link instead of a web site by another Mexico buff. Looks like he did a good job!

However...

His answer about taking an expired FMM back to INM when one returns to Mexico is not the best advice. Also, him not having the address where to mail them back to Mexico after you leave, but before they expire... well, that all has been posted here on Nomad.

Can those who have FM-3 or FM-2 cards verify the information provided?