BajaNomad

Furuno or Navionics?

BajaJeeper - 9-15-2011 at 02:41 PM

I am bringing a boat to the Baja that has an eight year old Furuno GP-1850DF chart plotter. I will be fishing the San Jose area and need a chip. I am told that the unit will accept a Furuno chip or a Navionics Classic. Both are still available. Is there any reason to believe that one would be a better choice than the other? I only need the BCS so any other geography included is not important.

Thanks.

Pescador - 9-15-2011 at 05:49 PM

Navionics is normally a better choice but you need to check to see which navigational charts each one is based on. When I use either one in the Santa Rosalia area, I am off almost 4 .5 miles because they both use 1955 charts for their base information.
When I go to La Bocana I am very accurate because they have newer charts or cartography that forms the base for the map information. I would assume that in the Cabo area they should have an updated cartographic base but I do not know that for sure.
Because the companies consider this information to be proprietary, they are very reluctant to give out this information, but when you question someone in the cartography department and explain your situation you may get some reliable information.
They guys at Garmin were the first to give me the information on the old Blue Charts and it did prove helpful. The new Navionics is based on actual GPS information so when it is done things may improve.

bajacalifornian - 9-15-2011 at 08:27 PM

Check for availability with bathometrics. Good as it gets.

latina - 9-16-2011 at 12:43 PM

I don't know if this would apply to buying the chip for your unit, but the Navionics navigation app I downloaded on my iphone last winter was dead-on in the bay of La Paz and surrounding areas, so maybe their chip is upgraded???

yellowklr - 9-16-2011 at 05:24 PM

the new Navionics is right on but it MUST be the newest one.....I figured all this out this year when fishing SR with Pescador.......
With the older chips it shows some of the towns 3mi out to sea
Like Jim said the Pacific is dead on even on the older charts