BajaNomad

Lobster season begins in the Pacific.

Woooosh - 9-16-2011 at 07:46 PM

Don't settle for frozen lobster at PN after today, insist on fresh locally caught saltwater red crayfish. LOL. enjoy.

http://www.ensenada.net/noticias/nota.php?id=21972

At 00:00 hours it starts September 16 in the Peninsula of Baja California spiny lobster catch "Palinurus interruptus" which is estimated during the season to capture a 300-1000 thousand 400 tons.
The Sub-Delegate of the National Commission of Aquaculture and Fisheries (CONAPESCA), José de Jesús Ramírez Gallo explained that when it corresponds to the region north of the peninsula is similar to estimate catch of 352 tonnes last season.

Likewise, the Secretary of State Fishing Carlos Fernandez Ruiz explained that this amount is expected to reach up to 400 tons.

For weeks the fishing cooperatives of the region began preparing for this activity that goes from September 16, 2011 until February 15, 2012.

This season has the relevant characteristic of Red Lobster recertification was delivered just a few weeks ago the Federation of Cooperative Societies of the Fishing Industry in Baja California (Fedecop).

[Edited on 9-17-2011 by Woooosh]

bajamigo - 9-16-2011 at 09:07 PM

I thought lobster season in Baja started on October 1st.

Woooosh - 9-16-2011 at 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajamigo
I thought lobster season in Baja started on October 1st.

The first month is double-secret lobster season.

woody with a view - 9-17-2011 at 05:44 AM

Quote:

300-1000 thousand 400 tons.

is that a lot?:light::lol::?:

vandenberg - 9-17-2011 at 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
Quote:

300-1000 thousand 400 tons.

is that a lot?:light::lol::?:

That's the secret.:biggrin::biggrin:

shari - 9-17-2011 at 10:00 AM

Asuncion is bustling with the fishermen making their traps...here the season starts 2 weeks later...so yeah, the 1st of october.

DENNIS - 9-17-2011 at 10:38 AM

C'mon....someone must have the regional start times as per the government.
Does it really have different times? Why would they do that?

oooops....sorry. I used the "Why" word in Mexico.

Ateo - 9-17-2011 at 01:26 PM

Speaking of Langosta, it's crazy how much Puerto Nuevo has changed over the past 3-4 years. Once a bustling tourist mecca, now a semi ghost town. I used to go to Chelas once a month and last time I went I was the only person in there. Parking meters were installed, and like everything in Mexico, never actually used and now in disrepair.

Cypress - 9-17-2011 at 01:39 PM

ateo, Disrepair. Thanks! That's a word to remember.:D

Woooosh - 9-17-2011 at 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ateo
Speaking of Langosta, it's crazy how much Puerto Nuevo has changed over the past 3-4 years. Once a bustling tourist mecca, now a semi ghost town. I used to go to Chelas once a month and last time I went I was the only person in there. Parking meters were installed, and like everything in Mexico, never actually used and now in disrepair.

The parking meters were deemed illegal before they were activated. We took a friend from Monterrey there a few weeks ago and had a good meal although we were pretty much alone in the place. It was on his list of "must see" places when he got here and he was not disappointed. We were sad for PN because we know it's real potential and it was so close to being there when everything went bad for Baja. Many less places competing for business- my two favorite shops for "s" were gone. We didn't get approached for drugs and if you eat first and carry a "doggie-bag" while walking around- then menu pimps leave you alone.

durrelllrobert - 9-17-2011 at 05:49 PM

Per Wikipedia:
In Mexico, spiny lobsters are an important commercial resource, representing the fifth most valuable fishery, worth US$18 million. Three species are exploited along the Pacific coast of the Baja California peninsula, but the catch of 744 t of the California spiny lobster makes up 95%–97% of the total, with only small quantities of Panulirus inflatus and Panulirus gracilis.[14] The fishing rights are held by 26 local co-operatives.[7]
The main legal restrictions on fishing for California spiny lobster in Mexico are a minimum landing size of 82.5 mm (3.25 in), the prohibition of catching berried females, and a closed season:[7] from February 16 to November 15, fishing for spiny lobsters is prohibited in a region which moves south along Mexico's Pacific coast during the season.[19]
CLOSED SEASONS FOR COMMERCIAL LOBSTER IN BAJA

[Edited on 9-18-2011 by durrelllrobert]

DENNIS - 9-17-2011 at 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by durrelllrobert
The main legal restrictions on fishing for California spiny lobster in Mexico are a minimum landing size of 82.5 mm (3.25 in),

3.25 inches....that can't be right. I prefer shrimp that are larger than that.

Diver - 9-17-2011 at 06:58 PM

That's the carapice length; from the ridge between the eyes/horns to the back (where the tail starts).
The tails are usually at least that long.

DENNIS - 9-17-2011 at 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Diver
That's the carapice length; from the ridge between the eyes/horns to the back (where the tail starts).
The tails are usually at least that long.

I think I knew that. :lol: Just can't remember. CRS