BajaNomad

North Dakota vehicle registration ?????

cj5orion - 9-19-2011 at 12:51 PM

"heard thru the grapevine"
anybody in the US oooooor Baja can register your vehicle in
North Dakota ? (and its very inexpensive !)

Useful for keepin the US registration on a vehicle that spends MOST of its time in Baja !

I googled the North Dakota DMV but didnt find anything ?

Anybody done this ? Ya got a http for it ?

DaleG - 9-19-2011 at 01:28 PM

Yep! My RV is titled and registered in the state of SOUTH DAKOTA. SD is the mecca for full time RVers. Cheap fees, hassle free transfers. You dont even have to go there to do it. All by mail.
SHHHHHHH its one big way SD makes revenue and states like California HATE IT.

good luck.

http://www.state.sd.us/drr2/motorvehicle/

SkyMedBarbara - 9-19-2011 at 01:32 PM

I belive is it South Dakota you are referring to not North Dakota. Lots of us in Loreto have our vehicals registerd there. No problems (no smog) and lots less expensive. e-mail diane.johnson@claycountysd.org. and she will tell you what you need to send via regular mail to her. or phone 605-677-7123 (Cathy Powell)

SFandH - 9-19-2011 at 01:36 PM

What do the baja residents who have SD plates do for insurance when you drive the vehicle back to the states?

DaleG - 9-19-2011 at 01:37 PM

Yes, Diane Johnson is who I dealt with too. Very helpful lady. I joked with her that because of her every RV in Chapala was sportin SD plates.

As soon as I retire Im going to get a SD D/L too and register my car and bike there too.
Now beware, California WILL come down hard if they find out you are driving through their state (and have employment or housing there for more that 10 days). Those thieves in Sacramento get real nasty when they are being ripped off. :P

DENNIS - 9-19-2011 at 01:49 PM

Here ya go. If you can't get to where you want to go, give a shout:

http://www.claycountysd.org/

Treasurer's Office

211 W. MAIN ST. SUITE 201
VERMILLION, SD 57069
PHONE: 605-677-7123
FAX: 605-677-7104
EMAIL: treasurer@claycountysd.org

CATHERINE POWELL, TREASURER

bill erhardt - 9-19-2011 at 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SFandH
What do the baja residents who have SD plates do for insurance when you drive the vehicle back to the states?

Progressive Insurance. And I'm sure other companies, as well. You can buy online on a monthly basis and cancel when not in the U.S.

DENNIS - 9-19-2011 at 01:50 PM

Quote:

Here in Ensenada, we can buy US insurance by the day. 100 Ps per day.

DaleG - 9-19-2011 at 01:52 PM

I see them selling it right in border line. Grab a burrito and a policy at the same time. :biggrin:

DENNIS - 9-19-2011 at 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DaleG
I see them selling it right in border line. Grab a burrito and a policy at the same time. :biggrin:

That's for Mex plated cars only.

SFandH - 9-19-2011 at 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:

Here in Ensenada, we can buy US insurance by the day. 100 Ps per day.

And that applies to cars with US plates?

DENNIS - 9-19-2011 at 02:49 PM

Quote:
And that applies to cars with US plates?

I believe it's only for cars with US plates.

That 100 Ps is for the first day only...for making up the policy etc. Succeeding days are less.

[Edited on 9-19-2011 by DENNIS]

MitchMan - 9-19-2011 at 03:47 PM

If you have a home in California and you have a California drivers license and you have a SD licensed vehicle in Baja, there is a problem should try to drive your SD lcensed vehicle on California streets. I believe the law in California is if you have a California Drivers license and a California home whose address appears on your California drivers license, then you are breaking California law driving that vehicle on California streets even if you have insurance covering that vehicle for your driving on California streets.

Please someone correct me if I am wrong as this is a problem for me and probably others.

Cisco - 9-19-2011 at 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by cj5orion

Useful for keepin the US registration on a vehicle that spends MOST of its time in Baja !

Dougherty & Associates

Try these folk's for insurance.
3704 S Westport Ave
Sioux Falls, SD 57106
605-361-6318

Good info here:
http://www.mydakotaaddress.com/

And here is one paragraph of a rather lengthy article:

"The issue is one that’s emotionally, and politically charged. Some point the finger at pressure put on popular fulltime domicile states by neighbors jealous of the revenues made. Others say that the increasing noose of US Homeland Security regulations are at the base of the controversy. Regardless of the cause, it must give something for those fellows up on Mount Rushmore to discuss when the subject of freedom is raised".

RufusTheDoofus - 9-19-2011 at 05:34 PM

Maine has a policy similar to SD on trailers. You don't have to be a resident of Maine to register your trailer here.

cj5orion - 9-19-2011 at 06:12 PM

everybody is talkin about a rv or trailer.....what about a truck,standard pickup truck ????

Udo - 9-19-2011 at 06:30 PM

Hey...
Check out http://www.americas-mailbox.com

READ all the pages and follow their instructions to the letter. I recommend printing all the pages and reading at your leisure.
I have several vehicles registered there including a 45' RV. This saves me about $3,000 in registration fees in Kahlifornia.

Quote:

Cisco - 9-19-2011 at 06:37 PM

Quote:
everybody is talkin about a rv or trailer.....what about a truck,standard pickup truck ????

Should not be a problem.

Know it works on an E-250

Paulina - 9-19-2011 at 06:46 PM

I have a question; when making the call, do you state the truth, that your vehicles live in Baja, or do you just scooch around that fact?

P>*)))>{

DENNIS - 9-19-2011 at 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paulina
I have a question; when making the call, do you state the truth, that your vehicles live in Baja, or do you just scooch around that fact?

P>*)))>{

They don't care where the vehicle is although you need a stateside address to receive your new plates and title.
You only have to make an initial phone call to establish how much to send them by check. Different vehicles will have a different price.
It's a real trip....the lady you are calling answers the phone....in English.

Mulegena - 9-19-2011 at 07:19 PM

Ok, here's a question for ya'.
I've searched CA DMV online and can't find answers, and I'm sure reluctant to ask them.

Here's the situation:
I'm presently in California and am looking for a used pickup to bring back down to Baja.
We'll probably never bring it back north across the border.
The car I'm interested in is registered in California with $750. back due in registration fees.

We're gonna handle ownership in one of two ways:
a) put it in ANAPROMEX (or whatever its called) to be legal in Baja;
or
b) register it in SD so it'll be legal in Baja and the US

My questions are these:
1) Can I drive it in California before I do a or b above?
2) If I register it in SD will those unpaid CA tag fees bite me?
3) Are there other issues I'm overlooking?

DENNIS - 9-19-2011 at 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mulegena

Never say never.

Quote:

The car I'm interested in is registered in California with $750. back due in registration fees.

Just make sure you get the clear title.

Quote:

I'm pretty sure Anapromex is out of business.

Quote:

That's what you do.

Quote:

Not with expired tags.

Quote:

No.

Quote:

You owe me a cold beer.

It's South Dakota, not North Dakota..as stated here and in several other threads.

Pompano - 9-19-2011 at 07:44 PM

If you want all the pertinent information on registration in SD go here:

http://www.americas-mailbox.com/

You will literally save thousands on new cars, motorhomes, boats, trailers, etc.

Minute factoid: North Dakota does not require titles for boats or boat trailers....no registration except with ND Game & Fish. You must request a license plate for your boat trailer...called a utility plate.

It's nice living there...for soo many reasons.

[Edited on 9-20-2011 by Pompano]

Mulegena - 9-19-2011 at 07:55 PM

Quote:
Quote:

You owe me a cold beer.

I think I see a phone call with South Dakota in my future... and a couple beers with Dennis when I head south. Give you a spin in my pickup!

Just so I know, is there another Baja car registration agency besides Anapromex-- I keep thinking Anaprox, but nnnoh.
We've got another car already there.

CortezBlue - 9-19-2011 at 08:56 PM

Quote:

www.claycountysd.org

DENNIS - 9-19-2011 at 09:05 PM

Quote:
Just so I know, is there another Baja car registration agency besides Anapromex-- I keep thinking Anaprox, but nnnoh.
We've got another car already there.

You mean other than the state? I think I recall something similar to Anapromex with another name down south, but if it was working with the same principals, I'd bet they're shut down too.
It may have been the same agency only with another name.

Anapromex was meant to assist the disinfranchised with transportation without being charged the heavy import fees, but it was taken advantage of. People were registering their Mercedes and BMWs with Anapromex and it cost them around 500 Pesos .....one time. No yearly renewell required.
I think the head of the agency may still be in jail.

Anyone from Baja Sur know the answer to this, please?

Mulegena - 9-19-2011 at 10:09 PM

Quote:
Quote:
...is there another Baja car registration agency besides Anapromex--

... I think I recall something similar to Anapromex with another name down south, but if it was working with the same principals, I'd bet they're shut down too.

Anapromex was meant to assist the disinfranchised with transportation without being charged the heavy import fees, but it was taken advantage of. People were registering their Mercedes and BMWs with Anapromex and it cost them around 500 Pesos .....one time. No yearly renewell required.

Mulegena - 9-19-2011 at 11:19 PM

americas-mailbox.com:
Their minimum service is $99/year. which includes a SD mailing address.

http://www.state.sd.us/drr2/motorvehicle/title/titling_motor...
The South Dakota DMV forms: there is no place that states they will register vehicles for non-SD state residents.

I'm confused. Must we have a SD address in order to register vehicles there?
Quote:
Originally posted by Udo
Hey...

READ all the pages and follow their instructions to the letter. I recommend printing all the pages and reading at your leisure.
I have several vehicles registered there including a 45' RV. This saves me about $3,000 in registration fees in Kahlifornia.

Cisco - 9-19-2011 at 11:35 PM

Quote:
americas-mailbox.com:
Their minimum service is $99/year. which includes a SD mailing address.

http://www.state.sd.us/drr2/motorvehicle/title/titling_motor...
The South Dakota DMV forms: there is no place that states they will register vehicles for non-SD state residents.

I'm confused. Must we have a SD address in order to register vehicles there?
Quote:
Originally posted by Udo
Hey...

No. Only if you want their driver's license.

Just call SD DMV and they will tell you what you need to get their plates. Check with your insurance company for rates if NOB. Probably won't change as the vehicle is being used in the same area as before, not in SD.

DaleG - 9-20-2011 at 07:25 AM

Quote:
Ok, here's a question for ya'.
I've searched CA DMV online and can't find answers, and I'm sure reluctant to ask them.

Here's the situation:
I'm presently in California and am looking for a used pickup to bring back down to Baja.

We're gonna handle ownership in one of two ways:
or

My questions are these:

DaleG - 9-20-2011 at 07:35 AM

California is SO crazy about capturing revenue that the CHP even has a "rat" hotline so you can turn in your neighbor for having out of state plates.
I purchased an $2000 RV and started the process to register it in California. When I found out it would be over $300 PLUS SMOG, I said no thanks.
Mailed it off to SD and got my title and reg in 10 days ($65/yr) WITH my California address on it. No S***! So...fast fwd 6mos. I get a letter from Cal DMV wanting to know when im gonna finish the reg process!!!! I checked the box that said the vehicle is now registered in a diff state and I hope thats the last I hear of them.
However....as noted earlier, when I eventually bring it back into CA from Baja I run the risk of getting pulled over. Reg wont match drivers license, etc.
To which I will tell them Im just now bringing it back to California, it hasnt been on CA roads AND I am taking it to DMV in less than 10 days. I hope they buy it. Kalifornia....taxed to death.

MitchMan - 9-20-2011 at 07:49 AM

Mulegena,
If you have a California drivers license and your license has a California address on it (indicating that you are a resident of California), and you register your vehicle in South Dakota, you are not allowed to drive that vehicle on California streets after you obtain the said South Dakota registration, whether or not you are covered by an insurance policy covering your driving on California streets or not.

You can, however, get a special permit from the California DMV that will allow you to drive on California streets for one day so long as you are driving out of the state by the end of that day.

It is possible to register a vehicle in California, take the vehicle and leave it in Baja permanently and renew said California registration annually and avoid having to get and pay for vehicle insurance covering you on California steets and to avoid the smog check. But, you have to show proof of insurance with a MEXICAN vehicle policy that specifically is written for a RESIDENT of Mexico and specifically indicates in writing on the policy itself that said policy is a Mexican 'Resident' policy.

Now, in your current situation, that stipulation has ramifications: you probably have to actually be a provable legal Mexican resident and all that entails, and, whether you can get such a policy without actually, legally being a Mexican resident remains to be seen.

[Edited on 9-20-2011 by MitchMan]

MitchMan - 9-20-2011 at 08:02 AM

Dale G,
When I got my truck last year (I am a licensed Calif driver and a resident of Calif) and bought it in Tacoma WA, I got SD registration for it and took it to Baja. I did some research on the matter and followed the research up with a couple of calls to the CHP offices in Orange County, CA and Los Angeles. The OC CHP said that if I were stopped while driving the SD registered truck on Calif streets (even if I were driving the truck out of the state), that the policeman would have my truck impounded. The LA CHP office said, "Just tell the policeman that you are on your way out of the state, and you will be fine". Go figure. Keep in mind that Calif law as reflected on the Calif DMV website specifically indicates that it is illegal for me to drive my truck on Calif streets, with the specifics of my situation as described above.

PS: You and I are taxed to death, not the Warren Buffets of America.

DaleG - 9-20-2011 at 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MitchMan
Dale G,
When I got my truck last year (I am a licensed Calif driver and a resident of Calif) and bought it in Tacoma WA, I got SD registration for it and took it to Baja. I did some research on the matter and followed the research up with a couple of calls to the CHP offices in Orange County, CA and Los Angeles. The OC CHP said that if I were stopped while driving the SD registered truck on Calif streets (even if I were driving the truck out of the state), that the policeman would have my truck impounded. The LA CHP office said, "Just tell the policeman that you are on your way out of the state, and you will be fine". Go figure. Keep in mind that Calif law as reflected on the Calif DMV website specifically indicates that it is illegal for me to drive my truck on Calif streets, with the specifics of my situation as described above.

PS: You and I are taxed to death, not the Warren Buffets of America.

DaleG - 9-20-2011 at 08:08 AM

MitchMan,
I hear ya. How screwed up does a state have to be to pull that hen house crap?
I used to love Kalifornia but I cant wait to retire and say good riddance forever and start living the Baja dream full time and forever.

vandenberg - 9-20-2011 at 08:15 AM

I have my vehicles registered in SD.
Only venture into Ca. for utmost reasons.
However, if I do get stopped for any reason, I plan to show my Mexican drivers lic. and keep my Ca one pocketed. Just hope CHP will not call into the DMV office with my name.:biggrin::biggrin:

DaleG - 9-20-2011 at 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by vandenberg
I have my vehicles registered in SD.
Only venture into Ca. for utmost reasons.
However, if I do get stopped for any reason, I plan to show my Mexican drivers lic. and keep my Ca one pocketed. Just hope CHP will not call into the DMV office with my name.:biggrin::biggrin:

DaleG - 9-20-2011 at 08:24 AM

Van,
That takes a six pack of huevos...my sombrero is off to you !! :lol:

oladulce - 9-20-2011 at 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paulina

P>*)))>{

Some links to South Dakota's vehicle policies for non-residents. http://www.state.sd.us/drr2/motorvehicle/nonresident.htm

SD reviewed and clarified their own vehicle registration policies regarding non-residents last year. Non-residents are allowed to register vehicles in SD. Their concern is that people will think they have to give fake SD addresses to register cars there which will get the state in trouble with the feds. Use a "real" US address when you register you cars in SD and they don't care where it is.

DaleG - 9-20-2011 at 08:49 AM

Fact is, SD doesnt have many people to generate revenue via taxation. One of the remedies was to make it "Meca for RV'ers"
Their policy extends to all vehicles much to the chagrin of states like CA, AZ, OR etc. People are driving high dollar 'vettes etc in AZ, $250,000 Rvs in Ca and Or. Its Californias fault they are in a
budget nightmare...not mine!! :fire:

[Edited on 9-20-2011 by DaleG]

DENNIS - 9-20-2011 at 08:58 AM

Quote:
Just hope CHP will not call into the DMV office with my name.:biggrin::biggrin:

They stopped recognizing us by name long ago. Now we're no more than a number and a dollar sign.

oladulce - 9-20-2011 at 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cisco
Try these folk's for insurance.
Dougherty & Associates
3704 S Westport Ave
Sioux Falls, SD 57106
605-361-6318

I've gotten our car insurance from Dougherty since we moved to Mexico and switched to South Dakota for our US domicile. With their Good Sam and GM discounts, I haven't found anything cheaper for an annual US policy on our '08 Silverado.

But as we make fewer and fewer trips to the US, it's hard to make that payment for annual US insurance when the truck is sitting in Mexico (with full coverage "Mexico resident " Mexican insurance simultaneously). This year I might not renew the US insurance and will try the online companies and buy insurance on a monthly basis , stopping and starting it in preparation of a trip to the US.

Progressive was mentioned, and a friend just did this with Geico. Any details or drawbacks to consider when using this method, such as cancellation policies etc? Any favorite companies for online start-and-stop US insurance?

Dennis has been saying for years that it's easy to get short term US insurance in Ensenada and I never considered it because I pictured driving around towing a trailer trying to find parking in town. Maybe that's something I can do online and I should start listening to him.;)

durrelllrobert - 9-20-2011 at 09:19 AM

Quote:

I'm sure that what they sell at the border is for MEXICAN PLATED CARS ONLY:?:

durrelllrobert - 9-20-2011 at 09:37 AM

"2) If I register it in SD will those unpaid CA tag fees bite me?"

durrelllrobert - 9-20-2011 at 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by oladulce

But as we make fewer and fewer trips to the US, it's hard to make that payment for annual US insurance when the truck is sitting in Mexico (with full coverage "Mexico resident " Mexican insurance simultaneously). This year I might not renew the US insurance and will try the online companies and buy insurance on a monthly basis , stopping and starting it in preparation of a trip to the US.

Progressive was mentioned, and a friend just did this with Geico. Any details or drawbacks to consider when using this method, such as cancellation policies etc? Any favorite companies for online start-and-stop US insurance?

When car is in MX it is insured by MX insurance. You only need US insurance when it's there and this limits the US insurance companies liability to those times. Since my vehicles are only up there less than 5,000 miles/year. My LOW ANNUAL PREMIUM is based on this mileage.
PS: GIECO automatically sends a SD insurance card every year when car is registered there, no mater where your mailing address is.

[Edited on 9-20-2011 by durrelllrobert]

Bajajorge - 9-20-2011 at 09:52 AM

I always make a joke when in San Felipe. Saying South Dakota must be unpopulated, everybody is here.:lol:;D

DaleG - 9-20-2011 at 10:04 AM

Maybe all of South Dakota's population is in prison making license plates. :o

Mulegena - 9-20-2011 at 10:13 AM

Ah, so if I buy a pickup in California I DO have to transfer the California Pink Slip into my name BEFORE I can transfer the registration and title to South Dakota? Therefore, any unpaid California fees from the previous owner would be squarely mine to clear with California; "those unpaid CA tag fees..." WOULD "bite me...".
Quote:
Originally posted by durrelllrobert
"2) If I register it in SD will those unpaid CA tag fees bite me?"

Thanks to Olddulce for clarifying about not needing a fake SD address (and the added expense of acquiring one).

DENNIS - 9-20-2011 at 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajajorge
I always make a joke when in San Felipe. Saying South Dakota must be unpopulated, everybody is here.:lol:;D

There's a million of 'em out here as well, Jorge, and I'm one of 'em.

Where is South Dakota, anyway?? :lol:

DaleG - 9-20-2011 at 10:19 AM

Next summer Im going to ride to Sturgis SD and while I'm there get a SD drivers license. Those are cheap too. Only prob is you must return to SD every 5 years I think to re-new.

durrelllrobert - 9-20-2011 at 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajajorge

The 2010 population of Clay County SD (where everyone gets their plates) was 13,864. In 2010 the Clay County alpha-numeric plates started with a double digit followed by the letter "G" in the third position, then followed by a variable letter and another double digit. This resulted in 2,600,000 combinations and they ran out of these plates in early 2011 had had to change the "G" to an "H" and start all over again. I assume that everyone in Clay County has 18.75 cars.:tumble::tumble::tumble:

oladulce - 9-20-2011 at 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by durrelllrobert

You only need US insurance when it's there and this limits the US insurance companies liability to those times. Since my vehicles are only up there less than 5,000 miles/year. My LOW ANNUAL PREMIUM is based on this mileage.
PS: GIECO automatically sends a SD insurance card every year when car is registered there, no mater where your mailing address is.

I'll look at the mileage parameters closer this year but at renewal time each year I run quotes from Geico and Progressive for annual policies with the same coverage as my Dougherty policy and I haven't found anything cheaper. We drive less than a 2000 US miles per year now and the start-and-stop method is making more sense as long as there aren't any big drawbacks.

I've never looked at the cost of buying insurance by the month from the online companies and will have to compare our current approx $500 annual fee to multiple monthly policies depending on how many trips NOB we're anticipating.

And some of us are "from" Sioux Falls, Minnehaha county and have actually visited the fine city- once.

[Edited on 9-20-2011 by oladulce]

vandenberg - 9-20-2011 at 10:48 AM

Quote:

Just south of North Dakota.:biggrin::biggrin:

vandenberg - 9-20-2011 at 10:52 AM

Just had a brainstorm. Looked at my SD registration and noticed it had my Ca. address on it.
So, just called SD office and requested the address be changed to my current Loreto address. And, lo and behold, no problem.
There's no way to get stopped in Ca. and the CHP not asking for your registration. So, another obstacle removed.:biggrin::biggrin:

Pompano - 9-20-2011 at 10:57 AM

Quote:
Quote:

Just south of North Dakota.:biggrin::biggrin:

It's where you listen to Paul Harvey every day at noon.

DaleG - 9-20-2011 at 11:12 AM

Quote:
Just had a brainstorm. Looked at my SD registration and noticed it had my Ca. address on it.
So, just called SD office and requested the address be changed to my current Loreto address. And, lo and behold, no problem.
There's no way to get stopped in Ca. and the CHP not asking for your registration. So, another obstacle removed.:biggrin::biggrin:

Will you have to send in the old reg or will they just mail you a "modified" one? How much for the change?

vandenberg - 9-20-2011 at 11:27 AM

Quote:
Quote:

Will you have to send in the old reg or will they just mail you a "modified" one? How much for the change?

Both my vehicles are due next month. No cost to us.
Suggest to wait for the registration to come due and then make the change. If that takes too long, call them.

Pescador - 9-21-2011 at 08:49 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
...is there another Baja car registration agency besides Anapromex--

... I think I recall something similar to Anapromex with another name down south, but if it was working with the same principals, I'd bet they're shut down too.

Anapromex is still alive and well in Santa Rosalia where you would register. My preference would be ONAPAFFA which is on the Malecon in Santa Rosalia right next to the little Chinese Restaurant and below the public bathrooms. As long as you have a current title and all the other information you can register your car there and it serves the purpose of allowing you to drive while you are working on your importation.

[Edited on 9-21-2011 by Pescador]