BajaNomad

Fly Fishing Guides/Outfitters Ensenada?

edevart - 9-27-2011 at 03:03 PM

Hi All,

Are there any fishing guides/outfitters in the Ensenada area that specialize, or at least can guide, an angler looking to target some salt species via his fly rod? Any info is appreciated. Thanks.

DENNIS - 9-27-2011 at 03:13 PM

Ivan Villarino runs a meat fishing business although he may be able to steer you in the right direction.
Here's his info:

http://www.vonnysfleet.com/

mtgoat666 - 9-28-2011 at 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by edevart
Hi All,

Are there any fishing guides/outfitters in the Ensenada area that specialize, or at least can guide, an angler looking to target some salt species via his fly rod? Any info is appreciated. Thanks.

ensenada? don't think so.

some other possibilities... there are some in san diego. also some in east cape.

Pompano - 9-28-2011 at 05:58 AM

I'd contact all the good ones, as I'm guessing that most professional & experienced outfitters in Ensenada would take your money....as long as you are the only fisherman that day.

As you know, most saltwater flyfishing is too time-consuming for the other customer/anglers on your charter. Our average strike-to-release on even medium-size dodos is at least 30 minutes.

Cardon Man - 9-28-2011 at 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano
Our average strike-to-release on even medium-size dodos is at least 30 minutes.

On the fly?...why so long? light leader...light rod...unexperienced angler?

Pompano - 9-28-2011 at 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cardon Man
Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano
Our average strike-to-release on even medium-size dodos is at least 30 minutes.

On the fly?...why so long? light leader...light rod...unexperienced angler?

Hola Cardon Man..

Just back and read your question to me...and will try to answer about my style of fishing these days...it's changed somewhat over the years.

First, I‘m not governed by any clocks. I made it that way. Especially when fishing.

Second, I’m definitely not interested anymore in ‘trophy’ fishing, or who can bring the biggest and most to the boat the fastest...as if we were in a tournament. I'm not knocking any that do...it's just not for me.

Third, I like to even things up with the fish as much as possible. Most times with a flyrod, this means a light rod (I sometimes use my steelhead outfit) using an ultra-lite tippet/fly and light leader w/flyline. (I'd rather lose a tippet and fly ($10 or so) than the whole works, which gets spendy plus is a real pain in the burro when it’s your only rig in the boat that day.)

Fourth, On many of my days spent fishing…I catch fish. On a few of my days fishing…I do not catch fish. I enjoy all days fishing equally.

Especially those balmy days on the SOC….or wading the familiar shallows of Christmas Island for those great bones.
The Fraser is mighty fine, too, but I lost my taste for salmon after a few years of commercial fishing Bristol Bay.

Unexperienced? Yeah, I’m still a little green, I suspect. Got to put in some more time at it, for sure. Now my father, who was my favorite fishing buddy, was very ‘experienced’… a regular veteran… and racked up 75 fishing years before I hung his bamboo on my game-room wall.

Me?..well, still got a long ways to go…only up to 55 years at present. :rolleyes: ...cuz I squandered the first 12 years chasing women!

Tight lines. Cardon Man...and all anglers!

Cardon Man - 9-28-2011 at 02:22 PM

Hola Pompano...
I gottcha. For me...I like 30lb leader to the fly. You can put serious pressure on 30lb. Land 'em quick and send the fish on their way.
Seems like the most common error I see fly guys make in blue water is high sticking during the fight, trout style. Can't put much pressure on a fish that way with a fly rod.
Best fishes...