BajaNomad

duty at border

IdaSteve - 10-3-2011 at 10:31 AM

I have a cargo trailer with new and used items. New items include appliances, generater and solar panel. Does anyone know which border crossing is the best, I assume I have duty to pay. I have also heard that there is an exemption for fm3. Any info would be appreciated

[Edited on 10-3-2011 by IdaSteve]

[Edited on 10-3-2011 by IdaSteve]

DENNIS - 10-3-2011 at 11:10 AM

If you could be more specific about your load, it will help.

24baja - 10-3-2011 at 11:15 AM

We had better luck at the Otay crossing, more room to maneuver.

castaway$ - 10-3-2011 at 11:37 AM

Curious why you picked the fishing forum to ask your question Just sayin.

BajaBlanca - 10-3-2011 at 12:21 PM

It's his first post, that's why !!!! WELCOME TO BAJA NOMADS !!!

Now, if you have a lot of new stuff that you want to declare, it has to be Otay. If it is just normal - used - your own stuff - you will be fine in TJ

we only once had a problem in TJ and now I can't remember what we brought that had to be declared and we didn't know...to be turned around AT THE BORDER COMING SOUTH ...... depressing !!!

The truth is, we bring soooo much stuff, it is ridiculous. We only come via TJ and we drive on average at least 3 times a year over the past 5 years. You know those Mexican segunda trucks which are piled sky high ??? Well, we give them competition ...we look, like I said, ridiculous.

castaway$ - 10-3-2011 at 12:42 PM

Sorry don't pay any attention to how many posts somone has!!!
And yes welcome to Baja Nomad

Pescador - 10-3-2011 at 02:52 PM

The easiest crossing is obviously Tecate, but they are all doing pretty much the same thing at this point. The new Aduana people are really well trained College grads who have a pretty good idea of values of things. If you are going to declare things that are going to be brought in to Mexico then you need to make a list of the things you are bringing in, (it helps to have the list in both English and Spanish) and the approximate value of the item. The first $150 if what you are allowed and you will be taxed 16% of the rest of the items you declare.

An example would be:
1 Fan Abanico $5.00 US
1 Chair Silla $3.00

If you are importing things for a house in Mexico and you have a FM3 or FM2 then you need to have a very complete list, serial numbers, valuation, and normally you declare with a broker who will help you do a one time importation and declaration of your household goods.

David K - 10-3-2011 at 07:52 PM

Maybe he's bringing fish across, why else is he asking in this forum???