BajaNomad

The "Shack" is back in a new location - LA PAZ! Arguably the best burger in all of Baja. Come in and find out for

willyAirstream - 10-10-2011 at 07:35 PM

Sounds great Max, but they are missed here in Mulege!
btw, 12AM. Is it midnight or midday?

bajabass - 10-11-2011 at 06:19 AM

If the food is as good as Baja Burger was in La Mision, when Travis owned it, he should do well. I wandered into The Shack in Mulege this spring on a trip north. I was sure glad I found it, the chicken parmesan sandwich was awesome and huge!!! :biggrin: Give it a try Pacenos, Travis and Rosie are nice people to top it off.

mulegemichael - 10-11-2011 at 08:10 AM

that'll give us an excuse to drive south this winter...how do you spell etouphe?...travis makes the best shrimp e to phe..however it's spelled.

bajabass - 10-11-2011 at 08:20 AM

I hope it does not translate to tofu!!!:barf::o:lol:

[Edited on 10-11-2011 by bajabass]

MitchMan - 10-11-2011 at 09:29 AM

Man, the Shack sounds good. Goin' to give it a try in November. Makes good pizzas, etouffee, and burgers? Wow, where did he learn to cook?

yellowklr - 10-11-2011 at 02:49 PM

Yes best burger in Baja!!!!!
I may have to treat Jon to a couple of Cervezas and a burger!!!!!!!!

La Paz here I come:spingrin:

[Edited on 10-12-2011 by yellowklr]

bajabass - 10-11-2011 at 07:18 PM

OK! a Jesse vs Travis Burger Shootout!!!! :biggrin: I volunteer to be a judge.:yes:

MitchMan - 10-13-2011 at 01:59 PM

AKMAXX, you know your stuff. Love the Gumbo in New Orleans. I wonder if a good gumbo would sell in La Paz? Good Mexican cooks could do a great job on gumbo, I think.

bajabass - 10-15-2011 at 12:37 PM

Hey folks, the esposa said it was the best burger she has ever eaten, NOB or SOB!!! Bums me out, after the ground sirloin delights I have concocted in the past.:no: No kidding, the burgers are great. Big, great flavor, and several toppings to choose from. Try 'em, you'll like 'em!!:biggrin:

mulegemichael - 10-21-2011 at 08:03 PM

maxx...he's also having a prob with spellcheck...i DO love his food, however....and his kids..and wife..etc.

theshacklapaz - 10-21-2011 at 10:47 PM

Hey Mulegemichael I wish I had time for spell check! lol! No sleep tonight I have to keep the BBQ going all night to be ready for maņana! Thinks for mentioning Rosie and the kids. This is really a family biz! See ya soon and I will work on my spellin!

David K - 10-22-2011 at 09:13 AM

Welcome to Nomad!

Alan - 10-25-2011 at 09:08 PM

almaxx,
You had me all psyched and ready tonight so I jumped in my car right after reading your post. Pulled up at the Shack only to find it closed. Now that I re-read your post more carefully I noticed they are closed on Tues.

Oh well, Buffalitos on Madero satisfied my craving for now but looking forward to trying this place.

mulegemichael - 10-26-2011 at 08:10 PM

trust me, you'll never regret sampling one of travis' treats and a ton of rosie's hospitality....it don't get no betta.!!!

JESSE - 10-26-2011 at 10:10 PM

I am checking it out this week:D

Cypress - 10-27-2011 at 06:53 AM

There's a BBQ franchise in the US called "The Shack". :yes:

danaeb - 10-27-2011 at 07:56 AM

Had the 'House Burger' last week. Going back for the 'Bleu Cheese Bacon Burger' tonight. Yum, yum. Good (big) margaritas too.

theshacklapaz - 10-28-2011 at 07:54 AM

Hey everyone, thanks for visiting us. We sold out of everything, I mean everything lastnight! But restocked again today. Our $120 peso Bacon wrapped Filet Mignon is a huge sucess! Served with garlic and a slab of butter on top with garlic mash and asparagus wrapped in a band of seaweed with a Dijon cream sauce on top. Served daily until we run out! Don't forget about our "personal pig roast" up to six people, sit down have a cold one and enjoy your friends while we serve you a perfectly roasted (in our woodfired oven) a 10 to 12 lb suckling pig with mexican rice, chorrizo beans, Rosie's famous gaucamole, chips, accouple diffrent salsas and hand made corn tortillas buffet style. The cost is $1200 pesos (serves six) and must be ordered at least three days in advance. Can't wait to meet you or see you again! As always, Love, from The Rodgers' Family.

David K - 10-28-2011 at 08:03 AM

Awesome!:cool:

Travis and Rosie - Thank you!

danaeb - 10-28-2011 at 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by theshacklapaz
Hey everyone, thanks for visiting us. We sold out of everything, I mean everything lastnight! But restocked again today. Our $120 peso Bacon wrapped Filet Mignon is a huge sucess! Served with garlic and a slab of butter on top with garlic mash and asparagus wrapped in a band of seaweed with a Dijon cream sauce on top. Served daily until we run out! Don't forget about our "personal pig roast" up to six people, sit down have a cold one and enjoy your friends while we serve you a perfectly roasted (in our woodfired oven) a 10 to 12 lb suckling pig with mexican rice, chorrizo beans, Rosie's famous gaucamole, chips, accouple diffrent salsas and hand made corn tortillas buffet style. The cost is $1200 pesos (serves six) and must be ordered at least three days in advance. Can't wait to meet you or see you again! As always, Love, from The Rodgers' Family.

I was lucky to be at the Shack last night with my friends for filet mignon. WOW! It was right up there. WAY up there. You and Rosie were so gracious with our large party. Thanks again for a great meal. We'll all be back. We were still talking about it this morning.

welome to nomads.....

[Edited on 10-28-2011 by danaeb]

tripledigitken - 10-28-2011 at 03:44 PM

WOW!

Suckling Pig roasted in a wood-fired oven? I am drooling. You'll be the first meal in La Paz next trip down!!! Best of luck in your new operation.

Ken

danaeb - 10-29-2011 at 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by akmaxx
From The Shack's Facebook page:

"To our competion, the reason we have such a good crowd here is because we have reasonable priced food and drinks, a fun vibe and we put a little time and love into our food. Sending officials here to try and shut us down is futile! We have all our ducks in a row. Your time would be better spent working on making your place better than messing with us! Oh, and when you see the two guys standing out front with machine guns, thats only the body guards of the Deputy Mayor, he loves The Shack! Maybe you should stop in and complain to him that we are taking your biz! Love, The Shack"

jajajajajajaja:bounce::bounce:

Can you give us the facebook link? I'm hoping they'll have their daily specials there. I'M HOOKED!

theshacklapaz - 10-30-2011 at 06:57 AM

I'm pretty sure this is the link to The shacks Facebbook page and yes we post our specials. Thanks, Travis. http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The-Shack/113585165368810

Alan - 10-30-2011 at 10:10 AM

There are a ton of places called the Shack on Facebook and the link you provided didn't work. I've search all of the ways I could think of but no luck

rts551 - 10-30-2011 at 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Alan
There are a ton of places called the Shack on Facebook and the link you provided didn't work. I've search all of the ways I could think of but no luck

http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Shack/113585165368810

Alan - 10-30-2011 at 11:00 AM

It worked! Thanks

Alan - 10-30-2011 at 09:07 PM

Starting to wonder if I'll ever be able to try this place. Went by again tonight and a big sign said closed due to a water leak. I know, patience. Judging by everyone else's review I'm sure it will be worth the effort. Ended up going to Stella's for pizza which was okay but a bit over-priced.

oxxo - 10-31-2011 at 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Alan
Went by again tonight and a big sign said closed due to a water leak.

Yep, me too. Went there at noon on Sunday and it was closed. The dog was friendly though! Went to Rancho Viejo instead.

theshacklapaz - 10-31-2011 at 11:20 AM

Sorry folks for being closed yesterday. We had the float in one of our tolets break Saturdat night which in turn drained all the water out of our two pilas. Impossible to open when you have nowater, dishes, can't mop, can;t flush etc.... We got it fixed and our tanks are full! Open today at noon. Stop on by and have a cold one. BBQ Brisket on a bun and Fried Frog legs are the special today. see ya here!

JESSE - 10-31-2011 at 10:14 PM

Made a pit stop at the shack today:

theshacklapaz - 10-31-2011 at 10:47 PM

nice to meet you Jesse. Hope you you had a great time and meal. We will stop by your place our next day off. Sorry I didn't know who you were all the timeyou were here or I would of chatted you more. We'll talk more later. Have a great halloween! Happy halloween to all and to all a goodnight. The Shack.

Alan - 11-1-2011 at 12:02 PM

It was great to meet you and your wife yesterday. I wish you continued success. For every one else... Yes it was worth all of the repeated attempts. The burger was huge and cooked to perfection! I still can't believe that I ate it all (but I did)!

jakecard - 11-1-2011 at 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JESSE
Made a pit stop at the shack today:

Could you ask for higher praise?

Friggn' hilarious.

What a boon for the "Shack!"

Jake

vacaenbaja - 11-3-2011 at 01:13 PM

And so ends Jesse's quest for a decent burger in La Paz? IN AND OUT
LOOK OUT!!

theshacklapaz - 11-5-2011 at 10:43 AM

Thanks akmaxx for the great review. Correction: we do not have draft beer as of yet and we will be offering it for $10 pesos with or without food. Also, we now have our own group on yahoo where you can check out our special of the day as well as review and add suggestions join us at theshacklapaz@yahoogroups.com Thanks we look forward to meeting you.

acadist - 11-6-2011 at 08:01 AM

Sounds like an ad but a good one! Good luck, now another reason to go to La Paz.

Floatflyer - 11-6-2011 at 09:39 AM

This past Tuesday & Wednesday my wife and I were in La Paz having some work done on our car. After reading so much about The Shack on this forum we decided to give it a try for lunch on Wed. Took us a couple of laps to find it and walked in about 12:40pm. 2 guys were sitting down waiting for "to go" orders. After about 10 minutes a woman asked us what we wanted and we ordered some beers. Were told they were out so we ordered water and Topo Chico. About this time the owner arrived, with cold beer, yeah, and ice. Wife ordered a beer and we ordered our burgers. The "to go" guys got their food after a good wait and then we got ours. Both were excellent except that the lettuce was on the brown side. Owner said that Tues night, even though they were closed, the served food and ran out!!

He is very enthusiastic and friendly and seems to have a very strong evening following. The menu has some daily options that look very interesting. We would love to have dinner their next time we visit LP but we rarely spend the night so another lunch will be more likely. The owner said they had only been open 3 weeks and that he was in the process of getting some help. I would think that given a bit more time to get the wrinkles out and some more help, this place will be extremely busy and worthwhile to visit. Heck, it is worthwhile now!!

Finally, I don't know if the picture of The Shack I have tried to attach will work, very challenging.

Alan - 11-6-2011 at 10:23 AM

My wife and I decided to go back for dinner this time. Knowing that they have run out of food on ocassion and determined to try their bacon-wrapped filet, we decided to have an early (by La Paz standards) dinner and arrived about 7:00. The place was almost full. Travis and Rosie greeted us and we were seated right away. I ordered my filet, while my wife elected to go with their Shrimp Po-Boy special. Neither of us were disappointed. The filet was large, juicy and tender, cooked to perfection and seasoned just right with garlic mashed potatoes and grilled asparagus spears. The Shrimp Po-Boy was so large my wife had to eat it with a knife and fork. I highly recommend The Shack to all that visit La Paz. You won't be disappointed.

To Travis and Rosie, thank you for another great meal and an enjoyable evening. We wish you continued success and look forward to dining with you often.

willyAirstream - 11-7-2011 at 06:22 AM

Here is Floatflyers pic

theshacklapaz - 11-9-2011 at 07:41 AM

We are kicking it up a notch this week with a Cowboy cut pork chop stuffed with shrimp stuffing and gravy on a bed of dirty rice with garlic green beans. See ya soon! Starts Thursday! And, fingers crossed, we will haave our draft beer today!

vandenberg - 11-9-2011 at 09:48 AM

See you next wednesday on one of our trips from Loreto/Nopolo.
We'll be there around 4pm and maybe some La Paz Nomads would like to join us? Always nice to put faces to posters.:biggrin:

bajabass - 11-9-2011 at 09:50 AM

Good idea! I can always talk the wife into one of Travis's burgers.:yes:

Alan - 11-9-2011 at 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by vandenberg
See you next wednesday on one of our trips from Loreto/Nopolo.
We'll be there around 4pm and maybe some La Paz Nomads would like to join us? Always nice to put faces to posters.:biggrin:
Always look forward to meeting other Nomads. I'd love to join you if I may.

bajabass, Are you back in LP? Whjy didn't you leave the wind NOB?

bajabass - 11-9-2011 at 10:28 AM

I'm back, and the wind and rain chased me all the way down. It poured and blew all night up in La Mision on Friday. OK, a week from today, around 4, somebody warn Travis!!!:lol:

vandenberg - 11-9-2011 at 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajabass
I'm back, and the wind and rain chased me all the way down. It poured and blew all night up in La Mision on Friday. OK, a week from today, around 4, somebody warn Travis!!!:lol:

Bass, the reason I made it 4 pm, so, in case lots of Nomads show, it won't be crowded and there will be room for us.:P:P
Besides he shouldn't have run out of supplies by then.:P:P

Looking forward to meeting you and Dra.
Ed.

bajabass - 11-9-2011 at 12:15 PM

I'll check the wifes schedule, but as I said, she loves the Shack. Looking forward to it Ed!
Jon

lingililingili - 11-17-2011 at 06:17 AM

Thanks for the get together Ed, it was great to see you and Barb again and can now connect new faces to names! It's always fun to find out that some of those faces live very close by. The Pizza was pretty darned good too!

wessongroup - 11-17-2011 at 08:48 AM

"Good Mexican cooks could do a great job on gumbo, I think"

Take a look in the "cooking" area of most restaurants... and one finds... Mexican's cooking everything from Chinese to German food... in American eating establishments... and they are excellent at what they do...

Many of the wife's family were all cooks... or as they preferred "chef " ...

Must say ... have always eaten pretty good .. from the Mexican side of our family ... a long ways from the Southern cooking I grew up on ... catsup's was always on the table while growing up... in our house...

Well done was the only way meat was served ... and ya ate your gristle too .. before leaving the table... pockets and socks were checked...

Thanks for the memories ...

The wife is just starting in... Chorizo, potatoes and egg's.. with fresh corn or flour ... and of course some fresh peppers from the garden ... I like the jalapeno and serrano with my meals... have become addicted to peppers... even the habanero, in very small portions for added kick and flavor, very unique flavor the habanero ...

Thank God for the America's and what they did and do for food ... even art .... hell, even Van Gogh wouldn't have been able to paint one of his great works.. "The Potato Eaters"... if not for the America's .. guess it would have been entitled the "cabbage eaters"...

http://www.vangoghgallery.com/catalog/Painting/453/Potato-Ea...

[Edited on 11-17-2011 by wessongroup]

Cypress - 11-18-2011 at 02:13 PM

The Shacks are a dime a dozen down in the deep south of the USA. Gumbo? Oh yea!!:D

Alan - 11-18-2011 at 02:20 PM

Nice pics, great new friends!

Cypress - 11-18-2011 at 02:42 PM

Why aren't those people smiling?

theshacklapaz - 11-19-2011 at 09:36 AM

Good morning Shackers, we now have $10 peso Draft Modelo Negro! Today's Special is a 16+ oz. Ribeye served with garlic mash and a fresh salad for only $140 pesos! Try our new 1/4 lb. 100% all beef Nathan's chili dog with fries for $65 pesos or a Frito pie with a salad for $65 pesos. Buckets of beer are always $100 pesos for 6 and starting next Friday we will be having a Dart tourney with a wing special. Pool table on the way and don't forget to sign our wall when your here! This is turning out to be great season and we look forward to seeing you. The Shack is your backyard, just don't pee on our plants! Love.

theshacklapaz - 11-26-2011 at 11:09 PM

All you can eat Pig Roast at The Shack for $150 pesos starting Sunday and every Sunday through out the season! Come on by The Shack and enjoy Roasted whole pig, tater salad, beans , slaw and all the fixins every Sunday @5pm. Also join us on Saturday Dec.3rd for "Hang Ten party" The Mexican Weirdo's ( a Dick Dale coverband) 60's surf music. Band starts at 9 pm, $50 peso cover, drink specials. Wear your Hawaiian Shirts and dresses and put on your dancin shoes! It's going to be off the wall! See ya soon! Love The Rodgers' Family.