BajaNomad

Best way to cook your favorite fish....

EnsenadaDr - 10-20-2011 at 07:05 AM

I like mine on the barbeque, with lemon and garlic, but seriously, anyone have any ideas for something more creative, there is only so many ways to fry a fish..or cook it..so please give me some ideas, there are 365 days a year!!

Hook - 10-20-2011 at 09:18 AM

I've really become a fan of doing a modified slow poaching.

Butter and garlic in a pan, till garlic just turning brown; deglaze the pan with dry vermouth, white wine or marsala, add the fillets, some more fresh garlic, some water, lemon zest and Spike seasoning mix and reduce heat to low and SLOOOOWLY simmer it till just done. Turn only once. Using lemon juice in place of water makes the lemon flavor overwhelming. Maybe a 50/50 mix of juice to water might work?

Works best on a fish with some firmness like dorado, halibut, corvina or most rockfish. Halibut is plentiful around here right now, since it is bycatch from the shrimper. Kilos of fillets are 50 pesos/kilo.

Kalypso - 10-20-2011 at 09:27 AM

Pescado en Escabeche
Pescado Mojo de Ajo
Pescado al Chile Limón
Pescado Zarandeado (tho' this is better with a whole fish than filetes)
Pescado Veracruzan
Pescado w/Poblano Cream Sauce

[Edited on 10-20-2011 by Kalypso]

O.G. - 10-20-2011 at 09:29 AM

I like a slightly different poaching method:

I vacuum seal my filet with one of those machines.
Prior to sealing, I add a patty of butter; some Vermouth, garlic and Tarragon into the pouch with the fish. Then, drop the pouch into simmering water till cooked. When the pouch is opened, all the flavoring is still undiluted and can be drizzled over the filet.

DENNIS - 10-20-2011 at 10:21 AM

I like mine liquified and mixed with Vodka. Sometimes I'll put a little umbrella in the glass and play disco music during dinner.
Life is good. :lol:

DENNIS - 10-20-2011 at 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by O.G.
I like a slightly different poaching method:

I vacuum seal my filet with one of those machines.
Prior to sealing, I add a patty of butter; some Vermouth, garlic and Tarragon into the pouch with the fish. Then, drop the pouch into simmering water till cooked. When the pouch is opened, all the flavoring is still undiluted and can be drizzled over the filet.

That sounds good too, George. Now I have to go to Amazon and get one of those bag sealer machines.

Von - 10-20-2011 at 10:23 AM

Broiled with 6 chopped tomatos, 3 chopped up onions and 2 jalapenios, mmmmmmm on the beach.......

Cypress - 10-20-2011 at 10:54 AM

Deep fried, southern style.;)

DanO - 10-20-2011 at 11:01 AM

Lightly flour filets with seasoned flour, then saute in butter and olive oil. Remove fish, deglaze pan with white wine, add a handful of capers and a few squeezes of lemon juice, reduce slightly, pour over fish.

Best way to cook your favorite fish....

Cisco - 10-20-2011 at 11:09 AM

Fillet. Rinse and dry thoroughly.

Put in a baggie of corn meal and cover fillet.

Quickly fry in 525 degree oil. The heat of the oil is critical as the corn meal will seal the fish in without imparting any oil to the fish.

byoungquist - 10-20-2011 at 11:14 AM

Slather fillets with mayonaise, sprinkle with Lawrys and grill.

mulegejim - 10-20-2011 at 12:31 PM

They all sound pretty good to me. One of my favorites is from Patti Higginbotham's book "Somethin's Fishy in Baja" - I believe that is the correct title as the book has been out of print for awhile. Also works well with yellowtail.

TUNA FILET MIGNON

8 yellowfin tuna steaks, one inch thick
½ cup vegetable oil
¼ cup lemon juice
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
one clove garlic, minced
bacon slices

Trim out bone and all dark red meat. Wrap each steak with bacon and secure with a toothpick.

Combine oil, lemon juice, Worcestershire, and garlic. Marinate steaks in single layer for one hour – turn after about ½ hour.

Barbeque over high heat five minutes – turn and grill five minutes more or until fish flakes easily in center when pierced with a fork.

Note: I drizzle the remaining marinate over the steaks just before removing from barbeque – it will flame up and leave a nice finish.

[Edited on 10-20-2011 by mulegejim]

woody with a view - 10-20-2011 at 07:01 PM

i just seared the last of last summers YFT for my son and his future wife. they're visiting/house sitting from Texas and don't get much fish out there, unless you call catfish-fish....

crusted cracked red/black pepper
seared to perfection
sliced and placed around the plate
wasabi and soy sauce
drizzle a fresh orange over all of it
partake......

msawin - 10-20-2011 at 07:50 PM

mayonaise, sprinkle with Lawrys......

I have got to try that.. Really?

I will let you know of my attempt.

BajaDanD - 10-20-2011 at 10:03 PM

remove fish from vaccume seal bag rinse slice and eat

Gaucho - 10-20-2011 at 10:21 PM

Marinade fish in Newman's Own balsamic vinaigrette, sprinkle w/ Lawry’s then BBQ. Serve w/ the libation of your choice…Mmmmmmmm…

JESSE - 10-21-2011 at 01:36 AM

Nothing, nothing beats fish baked a la sal.

Marinero - 10-21-2011 at 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DanO
Lightly flour filets with seasoned flour, then saute in butter and olive oil. Remove fish, deglaze pan with white wine, add a handful of capers and a few squeezes of lemon juice, reduce slightly, pour over fish.

Book it, DanO

BornFisher - 10-21-2011 at 07:07 PM

Kinda like how this sweet lady does it-----

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3iDdPfUX5g

larryC - 10-22-2011 at 07:27 AM

One of my favorite fish experiences was a few years ago we had some freinds from Tijuana camp in our front yard here in Bahia. I took them out fishing and caught a bunch of fish. They cleaned them by gutting them and removing the gills, leaving the heads on. They scaled them with a wire brush, and put 3 or 4 slices through the skin on each side. Added salt and pepper and fried them in a large propane fired wok. It was really good. They kept this wok going 24/7 for a 4 day fiesta and feast. What fun, I can't wait for them to come back.
Larry

I love fish prepared in sooo many ways. This is a favorite when camping.

Pompano - 10-22-2011 at 09:28 AM

Here’s is a Cree Indian (American aboriginal) way of campfire-cooking fish that I copied from an earlier post of mine.

"Called "Ponassing"...cute name, huh? I know, it sounds kind of down-south Deliverance, but it is really a north Canadian tribal way of cooking and/or smoking fish or meat. It is very similar to 'al asador' in Baja and in Argentina. For fish, it is best to use an oily fish, like lake trout or salmon. Lots of suitable fish are found in Baja waters.

PONASSING

Basically we used this method to cook salmon or lake trout over a fire by splitting and opening the fish and holding it open on a wooden stake/s over the fire. Being a little woodsy..and wanting to 'go native'...we used cut green branch and the peeled bark to tie the fish slab - with skin on- to the Y-branch. Pretty simple cooking followed...prop the Y-fork over the hot coals, fish flesh side down, open some LaBatt's, and eat the lake trout or salmon in chunks with your fingers when it stopped dripping fat.

If you are someone who just has to keep busy, you can splash a little LaBatt's and a dash of salt/pepper onto the ponass. ;)

See the photo below.

We were taught this as kids on fishing/camping trips with our parents into the bush and wilds of Way Up North Canada. My childhood hero was a famous Cree guide named Kitchener Byrd. Most of the guides up there took European names from famous explorers…as did Kitch. Dad told me his real Cree name was Thunder in Pants.

Kitch was quite the woodsman and a real character..who would take a wee dram now and then. My good amigo for many years until he finally got nailed by lightning.

If Kitch were here, he would tell you...”Never stand up in a moving boat in a storm dancing a dervish & jabbing at the lightning with a knife while drinking.....or sober either.” Remember Old Kitch, aquaholic?" ;)

Sad p.s. Mi amigo, nomad aquaholic, has trolled out to sea. Bon voyage, old friend.

you must have a

capt. mike - 10-22-2011 at 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
I like mine liquified and mixed with Vodka. Sometimes I'll put a little umbrella in the glass and play disco music during dinner.
Life is good. :lol:

Bass-o-matic?

DENNIS - 10-22-2011 at 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike

You must have a Bass-o-matic?

Yes. How did you know, and where have you been, Mike? I've been wondering if all is well.