BajaNomad

A Baja Cactus Experience

Bajahowodd - 10-27-2011 at 10:19 AM

I'm gassing up at the Pemex across the street from Caracoles in Guerrero Negro in advance of our trip up to Ensenada. A nice young woman pumping the gas asked me if I wanted the windshield cleaned. Of course.

When the hose clicked-off, the pump read exactly 290 pesos. The woman removed the nozzle without attempting to top it off. I suspect that she felt that any possible tip might be jeopardized if she ran the meter up.

No biggie to me, as I had plenty of gas to make it to El Rosario. I gave her an additional 10 pesos over and above the ten she would keep from the 300 I paid on the 290 charge.

Off we go.

Arrival at the Baja Cactus Pemex was at 2PM. As I pulled in, I noted the pump jockeys were taking readings from the pumps. Apparently a shift change.

The station continued to fill with customers who could not buy gas, as the attendants were all just standing around the office.

Figuring I could make good use of the down time, I headed for the Men's room. As I approached, one of the uniformed attendants grabbed a mop and gave the floor a quick swipe just ahead of my arrival to this mostly al fresco bano.

I stood at the urinal and all of a sudden heard someone say, "Mira!". Looking to my right, there stood the guy with the mop holding up a styrofoam cup with the word "Propinas" emblazoned on it.

Looking around, I noticed the restroom was devoid of both toilet paper and paper towels.

Thus, I responded to him, "No papel; no propina".

Back out by my car, still no one pumping gas. As the wait approached 15 minutes, I regretted not asking the girl in Guerrero Negro to top off my tank, as if I'd had just a tad more showing on the gauge, I would have kept traveling on the the Los Pinos Pemex.

Finally, after about 15 minutes the signal was "go". An attendant approached me. I requested a fill-up with Magna, whereupon, instead of grabbing the hose, he spun around and went back to the cashier, reached in and grabbed a container of gasoline additive, came back and offered to sell it to me. All this before the nozzle was inserted.

Pompano - 10-27-2011 at 11:18 AM

Sounds like a typical nice day's drive on the Baja road. Congrats..it's always a great adventure, isn't it?

Skipjack Joe - 10-27-2011 at 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
A nice young woman pumping the gas asked me if I wanted the windshield cleaned. Of course.

I once had a car wash I won't soon forget.

CHLcarwash.jpg - 23kB

mtgoat666 - 10-27-2011 at 11:36 AM

Quote:
Looking around, I noticed the restroom was devoid of both toilet paper and paper towels.

someone said that if you show your baja nomad membership card they give you a key to the executive washroom at the motel. next time, just flash your gold card!

Bajahowodd - 10-27-2011 at 12:06 PM

Something like that! But why should one need to walk down to the hotel lobby just so they can wash their hands after a wiz? And don't you think it just a tad cheeky to pick up the tip cup and shove it in my face?

BajaBlanca - 10-27-2011 at 12:08 PM

:lol:

rts551 - 10-27-2011 at 12:18 PM

Had similar experiences here. Gas attendants at the diesel pump asking for their propina. One uttered Pin... Gringo under his breath when he didn't think it was enough. I get the impression it is expected now by these attendants.

tripledigitken - 10-27-2011 at 12:25 PM

It seems that the owner needs to tune-up the employees. With the new Los Pinos station south of San Quintin, the necessity for many to make that fill up in El Rosario doesn't exist anymore.

A Potty Kit

bajaguy - 10-27-2011 at 12:33 PM

Ah, ain't it fun.......we always travel in the the US and Baja with a self designed "potty kit" that contains toilet paper, seat covers, spray disinfectant, hand wipes, waterless hand cleaner and hand sanitizer........luck favors the prepared!!!!

bajabass - 10-27-2011 at 12:37 PM

Hey, at least the pumps are honest, right??? I felt like I was being ignored there once, again, a shift change was going on. I've dealt with worse at other Pemexs. Oh well, stretch the legs, long drive till I stop again usually. No hijack, but poor service, sin propina!

Bajahowodd - 10-27-2011 at 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken
It seems that the owner needs to tune-up the employees. With the new Los Pinos station south of San Quintin, the necessity for many to make that fill up in El Rosario doesn't exist anymore.

Exactly! I've been using the Los Pinos station since it opened. Just wasn't sure I had enough to go the additional 40 or so miles.

rts551 - 10-27-2011 at 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken

And the Marketing Manager for Los Pinos is a NOMAD!

Pompano - 10-27-2011 at 01:22 PM

I never use ANY Pemex bathrooms anywhere. I don't even open those doors....period.

Here's is a slightly different experience I had at Baja Cactus Pemex.

Plus....This is one of the reasons I always stop to fill or top-off whatever I'm driving at this Pemex in El Rosario.

This happened in 2009 on my way south in 'Road Warrior', my thirsty motorhome. I climbed down out of the coach and reached in my pocket for my reading glasses...and then asked for a 'Yay-No', por favor.

The shortest of these two attendants stepped behind me and picked up something I had dropped when pulling out my glasses...and showed it to me...Wow! A $100 bill. Careless of me, tsk tsk.

That C-note return buys a lot of good will from me..and a nice reward of 500 pesos to the attendant for being so honest. Bravo!

I came back north a couple months later in my diesel Dodge..and met the same nice-mannered attendant again. He remembered me and we had some photo-fun with a different 100-dollar bill. Fun times!

But not another 500 peso reward..not this time, anyway. :rolleyes:

Guess how many Pemex stations that would happen at?

Guess how many more times I will be topping off at Baja Cactus Pemex?

tiotomasbcs - 10-27-2011 at 02:04 PM

No service, no propina! By the way, any reports on service and litros "completos" at Los Pinos. Their business history is not too shiny. Tio

mtgoat666 - 10-27-2011 at 02:08 PM

Quote:

Quote:
And don't you think it just a tad cheeky to pick up the tip cup and shove it in my face?

i find it a bit disconcerting that wealthy, successful people (relative to el rosario standards) are commenting on the behavior of the very lowest servant, the bathroom attendant. this is normally a job given to the disadvantaged, and your snippy comments about bathroom attendant asking you for a couple pesos is displaying a shocking lack of empathy. the guy is probably dirt poor, living in poverty,... can't you find find someone else to complain about? crikey! get some humanity, dude

rts551 - 10-27-2011 at 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tiotomasbcs
No service, no propina! By the way, any reports on service and litros "completos" at Los Pinos. Their business history is not too shiny. Tio

When I fill our fuel jugs with premium they are right on the mark.

Unlike the Vizcaino station where somehow they can squeeze 23 litres into my 5 gallon (19 ltr) jugs.

MMc - 10-27-2011 at 02:55 PM

Hah, Got to love the friend of the working man.

Why are we so quick to jump to ideas based on our own predigest, using unverified facts.
Someone post their experiences as they lived it and we all know more about it then they do?
What is in the hart of the protagonist? No problem, I can answer.
:P:P:P:P

[Edited on 10-27-2011 by MMc]

David K - 10-27-2011 at 05:30 PM

Quote:
Arrival at the Baja Cactus Pemex was at 2PM. As I pulled in, I noted the pump jockeys were taking readings from the pumps. Apparently a shift change.

The station continued to fill with customers who could not buy gas, as the attendants were all just standing around the office.

Figuring I could make good use of the down time, I headed for the Men's room. As I approached, one of the uniformed attendants grabbed a mop and gave the floor a quick swipe just ahead of my arrival to this mostly al fresco bano.

I stood at the urinal and all of a sudden heard someone say, "Mira!". Looking to my right, there stood the guy with the mop holding up a styrofoam cup with the word "Propinas" emblazoned on it.

Back out by my car, still no one pumping gas. As the wait approached 15 minutes, I regretted not asking the girl in Guerrero Negro to top off my tank, as if I'd had just a tad more showing on the gauge, I would have kept traveling on the the Los Pinos Pemex.

Finally, after about 15 minutes the signal was "go". An attendant approached me. I requested a fill-up with Magna, whereupon, instead of grabbing the hose, he spun around and went back to the cashier, reached in and grabbed a container of gasoline additive, came back and offered to sell it to me. All this before the nozzle was inserted.

What day was this Howodd? I will talk to Antonio and see what is going on, or hopefully get him to respond directly.

sanquintinsince73 - 10-27-2011 at 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Quote:

Quote:
And don't you think it just a tad cheeky to pick up the tip cup and shove it in my face?

i find it a bit disconcerting that wealthy, successful people (relative to el rosario standards) are commenting on the behavior of the very lowest servant, the bathroom attendant. this is normally a job given to the disadvantaged, and your snippy comments about bathroom attendant asking you for a couple pesos is displaying a shocking lack of empathy. the guy is probably dirt poor, living in poverty,... can't you find find someone else to complain about? crikey! get some humanity, dude

From what I've been told, these people live off of the "propina" that is given to them. They have no salary.

David K - 10-27-2011 at 05:55 PM

If the attendees have Pemex uniforms and Baja Cactus patches on their hats, they are paid... and Antonio pays a higher wage than the law dictates or typical in El Rosario.

norte - 10-27-2011 at 06:02 PM

Do you have a hat and patch . You might as well have.

Pompano - 10-27-2011 at 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sanquintinsince73

From what I've been told, these people live off of the "propina" that is given to them. They have no salary.

I don't know about ALL of the Pemex stations in Baja..but I do know a few along my normal routes..and they are all paid employees.

"Having said that".....:rolleyes:...

Tips are always appreciated.

sanquintinsince73 - 10-27-2011 at 11:16 PM

I found this under Mexico Labor Laws. I will have the wife fully translate it for me in the a.m. but from what I gather, many Pemex employees not only do not have a salary, but they have to pay to work at the gas station. While I was living SOB my wife would always give the guy 2-3 dollars or more when we fueled. She explained to me that alot of these fellas live off of their "propinas".

Del total de empleados, 9 mil no perciben salario de ningún tipo y tienen que sobrevivir con propinas. Es decir, 90 por ciento de los mismos se mantiene de lo que les dan los automovilistas.

Estos trabajadores no ejercen ningún derecho, y "la actuación de la Junta de Conciliación y Arbitraje es decepcionante", señala el sindicato.

El Stracc indicó que para ocultar que no se paga salario a los trabajadores, las empresas los obligan a firmar papeles en blanco, los cuales luego son maquillados y presentados como recibos de salario y prestaciones ante autoridades laborales.

"Lo verdaderamente absurdo es que los trabajadores tengan que pagar por trabajar, porque para laborar cada uno de ellos tiene la obligación de cubrir una cantidad que oscila entre 30 y cien pesos diarios, de lo contrario se les niega el derecho a laborar; a esta cuota se le denomina derecho de piso y el monto de lo recabado puede caer en manos de la gerencia o, incluso, del mismo patrón."

Pompano - 10-27-2011 at 11:39 PM

Quote:
I found this under Mexico Labor Laws. I will have the wife fully translate it for me in the a.m. but from what I gather, many Pemex employees not only do not have a salary, but they have to pay to work at the gas station. While I was living SOB my wife would always give the guy 2-3 dollars or more when we fueled. She explained to me that alot of these fellas live off of their "propinas".

Del total de empleados, 9 mil no perciben salario de ningún tipo y tienen que sobrevivir con propinas. Es decir, 90 por ciento de los mismos se mantiene de lo que les dan los automovilistas.

Estos trabajadores no ejercen ningún derecho, y "la actuación de la Junta de Conciliación y Arbitraje es decepcionante", señala el sindicato.

El Stracc indicó que para ocultar que no se paga salario a los trabajadores, las empresas los obligan a firmar papeles en blanco, los cuales luego son maquillados y presentados como recibos de salario y prestaciones ante autoridades laborales.

"Lo verdaderamente absurdo es que los trabajadores tengan que pagar por trabajar, porque para laborar cada uno de ellos tiene la obligación de cubrir una cantidad que oscila entre 30 y cien pesos diarios, de lo contrario se les niega el derecho a laborar; a esta cuota se le denomina derecho de piso y el monto de lo recabado puede caer en manos de la gerencia o, incluso, del mismo patrón."

'

sanquintinsince73, it's like I said in my almost 40 years of traveling my part of the Baja Road from Tecate to Mulege...

..most Pemex attendants are paid employees of the various Pemex franchisers. I don't know of any who work for anything less than the minumun wage paid for such a job......BUT... I WILL ASK ON THIS UPCOMING TRIP and report back here.

David K - 10-28-2011 at 08:12 AM

The one place that is/ was true 'sanquintinsince73', is grocery stores (bag boys). At Baja Cactus (if not all Pemex stations), if the attendees are wearing a Pemex uniform, they are paid employees.

David K - 10-28-2011 at 10:09 AM

Still waiting for Howodd on the date this happened.

Remember Baja Cactus Pemex and Motel have security cameras... Antonio can see when you got gas and who did un-authorized activity.

Dave - 10-28-2011 at 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by norte
Do you have a hat and patch . You might as well have.

Even if he didn't I'd still let him wash my windows.

I'd give him a nice propina, too.

David K - 10-28-2011 at 12:11 PM

I am a good widow washer Dave! :light::lol:

Pompano - 10-28-2011 at 12:40 PM

I ask you....would YOU tip this window washer guy?...if so, how much?

p.s. The other day I was driving to the pet store to buy a penquin and thought it seemed a little brisk, then glanced at the outside temp....Brrrr....18 degrees!

Yup.....It's SOoo cold up here that....

.....Yesterday I had to chisel my dog off a lamp-post. :O

Window washer guy?

Dave - 10-28-2011 at 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano
I ask you....would YOU tip this window washer guy?

WHAT window washer guy?

All I see is an ice scraper, green coffee cup and a moustache.

Pompano - 10-28-2011 at 02:43 PM

Dave....I just noticed something we have in common..and it's quite unique.
We have

Pompano - 10-28-2011 at 02:46 PM

the exact same number of posts...weird. :wow:

bufeo - 10-28-2011 at 03:03 PM

Ahhh, but Pomp you've reached the mark in less time.

Allen R.

Bajahowodd - 10-28-2011 at 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
If the attendees have Pemex uniforms and Baja Cactus patches on their hats, they are paid... and Antonio pays a higher wage than the law dictates or typical in El Rosario.

It was on October 23. And I didn't mention that the "attendant" did not offer to clean my bug covered windshield.

As far as the uniforms are concerned, (and yes, the guy with the mop was wearing a Pemex uniform), As I posted on another thread about hotel maids in Los Cabos, it just may be that these pump jockeys are working on 28 day contracts, and are not, as such counted as employees. However, as for another comment here, the Mexican government has a prescribed minimum wage rule, depending upon the job. I cannot fathom that anyone would be working only for tips, especially when wearing a Pemex uniform.

Bajahowodd - 10-28-2011 at 04:16 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Please note my previous post. This guy was not a bathroom attendant. When he saw me heading the the john, he ran over to grab a mop.

I always tip Pemex attendants, and often quite generously, when they clean the windows. Most are very pleasant, and enhance the Baja experience. But some guy running to beat me to the john with a mop is over the top to me, especially when the bathroom had no toilet paper or towels.

Same with the guy who felt it was more important to try and sell me gas additive than to offer to clean my dirty windshield.

rts551 - 10-28-2011 at 04:32 PM

I can't remember the last time that anyone wanted to wash my window at the Cactus. Maybe its just the diesel pumps.

Everywhere else its seems to be common place.

Barry A. - 10-28-2011 at 04:41 PM

Those PEMEX "window washers" drive me a little nuts------I tip them to NOT wash my windows, as they often scratch the heck out of them with their dirty cleaning equipment.

As for the attendent trying to "sell you an additive"----that does my heart good----Capitalism in action-----their learning. :yes:

And as far as the bano was concerned-----the attendent hustling over to mop it, and all, -----wow, I am impressed that he took that much interest making sure it was clean, and just for you. :smug:

Isn't it funny how we all react differently to situations. :lol:

Barry

norte - 10-28-2011 at 06:01 PM

Barry

Maybe I am missing something here, but I thought a while back you said you 't don't/can't go to Baja any more.

Barry A. - 10-28-2011 at 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by norte
Barry

Maybe I am missing something here, but I thought a while back you said you 't don't/can't go to Baja any more.

That's correct, norte, I have not been in Baja for about 5 years. Does that make me inelgible to comment on my 50+ years of experience in Mexico, and Baja in particular??? I am sorry if I am mis-leading anybody, tho.

Barry

deportes - 10-28-2011 at 06:57 PM

How much is diesel selling for?

Bajaboy - 10-28-2011 at 07:33 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Please note my previous post. This guy was not a bathroom attendant. When he saw me heading the the john, he ran over to grab a mop.

I always tip Pemex attendants, and often quite generously, when they clean the windows. Most are very pleasant, and enhance the Baja experience. But some guy running to beat me to the john with a mop is over the top to me, especially when the bathroom had no toilet paper or towels.

Same with the guy who felt it was more important to try and sell me gas additive than to offer to clean my dirty windshield.

Let me guess....it was the surely guy with the moustache? He was hanging around the bathroom the last few times I rolled through ER Pemex as well. He knows me and I know him but he is still not friendly but always wants a tip.

And for what it's worth, I did not get an offer to wash my windshields the past few times as well. No worries....I guess.

mulegemichael - 10-29-2011 at 08:02 AM

i've commented about this before but....there has not been one time that we've stopped at the rosario station where there has been any paper products in the bano...and my bride won't even get out of the car to go inside....pretty dire conditions...antonio has always promised to improve the conditions and it's never happened..so don't hold your breath..unless you go inside.

David K - 10-29-2011 at 08:20 AM

Is paper in any other bathrooms in Mexico? Baja Angel always takes some in with her at EVERY bathroom in Mexico (incl. restaurants), because USUALLY there is no paper.

This is no excuse for Baja Cactus, lord knows his motel is 5 star and has plenty of paper and other 'free' amenities not typically found in motels or hotels in Baja!

Again, Antonio invites you to use the lobby bathroom at Baja Cactus Motel (the door on the left of the front desk), if the ones at the gas station are not in order.

rts551 - 10-29-2011 at 08:23 AM

Quote:
Is paper in any other bathrooms in Mexico? Baja Angel always takes some in with her at EVERY bathroom in Mexico (incl. restaurants), because USUALLY there is no paper.

This is no excuse for Baja Cactus, lord knows his motel is 5 star and has plenty of paper and other 'free' amenities not typically found in motels or hotels in Baja!

Again, Antonio invites you to use the lobby bathroom at Baja Cactus Motel (the door on the left of the front desk), if the ones at the gas station are not in order.

David. Stop. Have you ever been in a 5 star motel. geeze.

Take handi wipes with you.

David K - 10-29-2011 at 08:26 AM

It is a figure of speech and a way to express the quality of his motel compared to all others... geeze:rolleyes:

mtgoat666 - 10-29-2011 at 08:30 AM

Quote:

you can judge a business by it's bathrooms.

shari - 10-29-2011 at 09:04 AM

I had a lovely pee yesterday in the new gas station in GN across from Los Caracoles Hotel...the bathroom was spotless...really...with lots of nice toilet paper, doors that locked, nice mirrors, soap dispensers AND even brown recycled paper towels to dry your hands...WOW WOW WOW...what a pleasant 5 star pee...and Juan adds that they have very pretty gas pump girls too...and dont forget the bank machine and great store...it's getting to be my favorite gas station around here.

BajaGringo - 10-29-2011 at 09:07 AM

A 5 star pee....

:lol::lol::lol:

Ateo - 10-29-2011 at 09:09 AM

They could clean the bathroom up if they really wanted to. Simple. Come on.....

DianaT - 10-29-2011 at 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
I had a lovely pee yesterday in the new gas station in GN across from Los Caracoles Hotel...the bathroom was spotless...really...with lots of nice toilet paper......

Suggest you still carry your own TP as a back up---a couple of times they have been out of TP. :yes::yes:

Barry A. - 10-29-2011 at 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ateo

You have GOT to be kidding????? Have you EVER tried to keep a public bathroom clean in Mexico??? It is a process that would be a full time job. I know because I did it for about a year, in the States-------very frustrating job, believe me. (Jack-in-Box in Imperial Beach)

Barry

Lee - 10-29-2011 at 09:34 AM

Quote:

I agree with David.

Who's rating has validity -- Conde Nast? Tripadvisor gives Cactus 4 out of 5 stars. David is off by 1. http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g499399-d516112-Revi...

Oh, and by the way, Antonio's Pemex's bano is not a reflection of his business there or at the hotel.

This is one of the more ridiculous threads (oh, did I say in my opinion?) of a nomad with attitude claiming NO paper in the bano left him feeling angered -- when it's apparent that the attendant asking for propina was most like viewed as aggressive panhandling.

Instead of asking for paper, punishment was metted out: no paper no propina? Talk about petty.

Reads like a cranky tourist to me. Get a life folks! Bring your own paper!

rts551 - 10-29-2011 at 09:50 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_%28classification%29#Hotel...

David K - 10-29-2011 at 09:54 AM

I said Motel... Baja Cactus is NOT a hotel. Of all the motels in Baja (and pretty much everywhere in the U.S. too), Baja Cactus is easily 5 star in quality, comfort, amenities, services, hot pressurized water, friendly staff... etc.

rts551 - 10-29-2011 at 10:00 AM

Quote:
I said Motel... Baja Cactus is NOT a hotel. Of all the motels in Baja (and pretty much everywhere in the U.S. too), Baja Cactus is easily 5 star in quality, comfort, amenities, services, hot pressurized water, friendly staff... etc.

all the motels. boy you have been to quiet a few, haven't you. I will just continue to keep my options (and mind) open on the subject. While I still stay at Cactus, there are other options that offer more amenities in the San Quintin area.

ELINVESTIG8R - 10-29-2011 at 01:46 PM

For those of you heading north or south please stay at the Baja Cactus Motel in El Rosario for a night of rest. I stayed there for four days and was not disappointed. They have very nice rooms for 250 Pesos and up. I stayed in the 250 Peso a night room and was very happy with my room. Everyone was friendly and helpful. Also, top off at Antonio's Pemex station where you get what you pay for and the attendants are very nice too.

surfer jim - 10-29-2011 at 04:40 PM

I guess someone should ask all those who find it so bad......why do you continue stoping there? Just go to somewhere "better".:o

David K - 10-29-2011 at 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rts551
Quote:

all the motels. boy you have been to quiet a few, haven't you. I will just continue to keep my options (and mind) open on the subject. While I still stay at Cactus, there are other options that offer more amenities in the San Quintin area.

Yah, I have easily stayed in hundreds across the USA while I was employed by an irrigation manufacturer as their Tech Rep. The only thing better than Baja Cactus that I have found in other motels is a hot tub and jacuzzi jets in the bath tub.

rts551 - 10-29-2011 at 07:02 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by rts551
Quote:

Yah, I have easily stayed in hundreds across the USA while I was employed by an irrigation manufacturer as their Tech Rep. The only thing better than Baja Cactus that I have found in other motels is a hot tub and jacuzzi jets in the bath tub.

Guess You should not have picked Motel 6. There are better just up the road in Jardines or Santa Maria (IMO). Quieter, better restaurant, same or better bed, nice bathrooms, coffee and water in the rooms, secure parking etc. Personally, I stay away from tubs in Hotels anyway.

J.P. - 10-29-2011 at 07:05 PM

In the past I have stayed in the Baja Catus before the started building the new part back then it was a bargin if my menory is working I think it was around 26dls.
Since moving to Punta Banda is isnt nessary to stay there headed either way.and in the last 10 years they have developed nicer places along the way. I always top of my gas at the Pemex there It's simply not comfortable making that 200+ mile trip to G.N without a full tank I could not tell you about the banyo there there is too muck desert to worry about it.
The thing that really peees me off is someone so stupid that thev keep harping about the place like its the only one in Baja :mad::mad:

Ateo - 10-29-2011 at 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
Quote:

You have GOT to be kidding????? Have you EVER tried to keep a public bathroom clean in Mexico??? It is a process that would be a full time job. I know because I did it for about a year, in the States-------very frustrating job, believe me. (Jack-in-Box in Imperial Beach)

Barry

I understand how hard it can be, but it IS done at some other Pemex's. I do gas station compliance in the states, and some stations are consistently clean while others are not. The difference is usually ownership. If they make it a priority and care, stuff gets clean. I know- there are crazy people who will literally chit on the wall just for fun - I've seen it, but that's not the norm.

I'd guess the station in El Rosario has a very high thruput (gallons sold each month), bringing in a decent amount of cash. A little more effort would please some of his customers. Me, I take chits on the side of the road.

OT: he should build a convenience store on site. The US model of gas and c store is the only thing keeping owners in business NOB. Very few make money off the gas. They make it on skittles, taki's, and cigarettes.

Ateo - 10-29-2011 at 07:20 PM

Oh, and don't take my replies as being anything more than suggestion/observations. I don't give a crap about Baja bathrooms. I'm not complaining and I dont expect clean restrooms in Mexico. It'd be nice, but I come to Baja just to take craps in the desert.

sanquintinsince73 - 10-29-2011 at 07:35 PM

Quote:
Oh, and don't take my replies as being anything more than suggestion/observations. I don't give a crap about Baja bathrooms. I'm not complaining and I dont expect clean restrooms in Mexico. It'd be nice, but I come to Baja just to take craps in the desert.

Here you go, desert crapper....

http://youtu.be/naikFCHPtlY

mtgoat666 - 10-30-2011 at 12:40 PM

Quote:
I do gas station compliance in the states, and some stations are consistently clean while others are not. The difference is usually ownership.

yes, some owners have pride and some don't - and in some cases competition makes caring or uncaring owners act. as it is, i keep hearing great things about the motel and appalling things about the gas station rest rooms,... makes me wonder about cleanliness of nonpublic areas at motel.

i am thinking that in this case, only pemex in town, so the owner does not need to compete and he can bank extra $10/day by leaving bathrooms filthy.
if there were 2 pemexes in town selling gas at same price, the owner probably would have competition and would probably maintain banos.

Cypress - 10-30-2011 at 12:53 PM

The further south you go in the USA, the nastier the restrooms, hotel rooms, and the roadsides.:no:

Ateo - 10-30-2011 at 12:56 PM

Quote:
Quote:
I do gas station compliance in the states, and some stations are consistently clean while others are not. The difference is usually ownership.

yes, some owners have pride and some don't - and in some cases competition makes caring or uncaring owners act. as it is, i keep hearing great things about the motel and appalling things about the gas station rest rooms,... makes me wonder about cleanliness of nonpublic areas at motel.

i am thinking that in this case, only pemex in town, so the owner does not need to compete and he can bank extra $10/day by leaving bathrooms filthy.
if there were 2 pemexes in town selling gas at same price, the owner probably would have competition and would probably maintain banos. [/quote

Exactly!

Barry A. - 10-30-2011 at 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
The further south you go in the USA, the nastier the restrooms, hotel rooms, and the roadsides.:no:

Oh----My-----Gawd-------------the truth!!!!! (you are so racist, so zenophobic, so--so--so, something typical of a righty!!!) :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Barry

Cypress - 10-30-2011 at 01:34 PM

Yep, That's me.:light:

Ateo - 10-30-2011 at 01:56 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Here you go, desert crapper....

http://youtu.be/naikFCHPtlY

Funny! I'll watch for Donkeys.

sanquintinsince73 - 10-30-2011 at 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress

Key West???

Ateo - 2-26-2012 at 10:31 AM

On Topic/Off Topic: When I went by Baja Cactus Gas Station last week, the banos appeared to be in the process of a remodel. Just an FYI...........

David K - 2-26-2012 at 10:46 AM

Quote:
On Topic/Off Topic: When I went by Baja Cactus Gas Station last week, the banos appeared to be in the process of a remodel. Just an FYI...........

Getting the permission from Pemex has taken years... Antonio owns the business, but in a socialist monoply (Pemex) the government controls how you operate your business and what you can and cannot do.

The AM/PM type store with a fast food (tacos) inside has been planned since 2004... If people return to Mexico to vacation again, then it may become a reality. Nobody has $$$ like they did before ... well, you know!

Islandbuilder - 2-26-2012 at 11:50 AM

We stopped in there on both our south and northbound legs, and both times the attendant made a show of zeroing the pumps, making sure I had seen it. I patted him on the back and thanked him.

The only available restrooms were next door in the hotel.

I should have asked this before we went, but is it standard to tip attendants? I did have a guy, with no uniform on, clean my windows in GN, he did a good job, and I gave him a tip. I assumed that he was working on "spec", unlike the uniformed attendants.

Ken Cooke - 2-26-2012 at 11:53 AM

I give the equivalent of $2 or $3 at each fillup since the wages earned are so low for these service attendants.

wessongroup - 2-26-2012 at 12:09 PM

Would always tip the guys... with a "Lincoln" .. they make about 100 peso's a day on salary ... it's been over a year since down ... maybe they make more now...

I think I would be begging too ...

RnR - 2-26-2012 at 12:51 PM

Quote:

Sounds like they are being remodeled on Baja time...

They were working on the bathrooms, placing concrete for new floors, when we passed through in the first week of November! They had two outhouses set up on the uphill side of the wall of the Pemex compound.

maybe ready by the next trip...., next year ....., next decade..? Or, just keep using the outhouses! :biggrin:

Sounds like Off Topics here

mcfez - 2-29-2012 at 10:49 AM

Everyone is talking about crapola :lol:

Udo - 2-29-2012 at 10:54 AM

My usual tip is 10 pesos for fill-up and front window. A little more if back window is cleaned.
BTW...The restrooms were still worked on in December/January.

BAJA CACTUS PEMEX, EL ROSARIO

David K - 2-29-2012 at 10:58 AM

Bajahowodd - 2-29-2012 at 05:35 PM

"Oh, and by the way, Antonio's Pemex's bano is not a reflection of his business there or at the hotel." - Lee

Really? 'Splain that, please.

My experience down and up the peninsula, is that by and ;arge, the newer station, where the franchisees are making more money from their convenience stores are almost always clean and well stocked.

That said, it wasn't all that long ago when public restrooms in Mexico, including those at the airports, did not even have toilet seats.

But, in today's world, I really have to wonder why someone running a business that includes a very popular hotel/ Motel next door is unable to invest in a few bucks a day to have toilet paper????

David K - 2-29-2012 at 05:45 PM

I agree, Antonio's high standards are not showing in his Pemex restrooms...

But in all honesty, do you or your lady ever go into a Mexican public bathroom expecting it to have paper? I am always surprised to see some if I do! If you need it, then bring it with you.

The motel next door would appear to be run by someone different than the Pemex, as it is pretty close to perfection in Baja.

Barry A. - 2-29-2012 at 05:45 PM

Toilet paper is relatively expensive, and people steal it from public restrooms often. That's why I always carry my own, especially in Mexico.

Barry

Diver - 2-29-2012 at 05:47 PM

Quote:
But, in today's world, I really have to wonder why someone running a business that includes a very popular hotel/ Motel next door is unable to invest in a few bucks a day to have toilet paper????

And to complete the remodel and cleaning.

I'm wondering if he has a problem finding a few capable and trustworthy managers in all of El Rosario ?
I'm fairly certain that Antonio would like to make this situation better.

woody with a view - 2-29-2012 at 05:50 PM

plus, if it was free everyone would roll off 25-30 sheets at a time instead of the usual 5-6 sheets they roll off their roll.

woody with a view - 2-29-2012 at 06:38 PM

nyme sang?

surfer jim - 3-3-2012 at 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
plus, if it was free everyone would roll off 25-30 sheets at a time instead of the usual 5-6 sheets they roll off their roll.

TMI....TMI ...:lol:

Marc - 3-7-2012 at 09:25 PM

Being a Nomand gets you nowhere at Baja Cactus

UnoMas - 3-7-2012 at 11:14 PM

Did you use the password followed by the secret hand shake....Oh and show them your membership card?

[Edited on 3-9-2012 by UnoMas]