BajaNomad

Nautilus Plaza Caracoles Guerrero Negro

Bajahowodd - 10-27-2011 at 11:58 AM

We've eaten breakfast here for several years and were always quite pleased with our meals.

The owner is the fellow who also owns the Caracoles Hotel. Inasmuch as I never could figure out whether the owner wanted a restaurant in a convenience store, or vice versa. Either way, the ambiance is a little like being at a truck stop in the midwest.

That said, I checked out their dinner menu for the first time recently. I know there are many who feel that Malarrimo is the go-to dinner restaurant in Guerrero Negro. And Malarrimo had been that for us also.

But, on a recent visit we were greatly disappointed. Despite the menu stating that entrees came with soup or salad, we were told there was no salad, and if you don't like pea soup....

Then, the entrees also come with rice and vegetables. Except that somehow translated to a scoop of rice with small flecks of carrot in it.

A companion told me that they were served the worst chicken tacos ever.

Not sure if Lion's Paw scallops are out of season, but they were more than happy to serve regular sized scallops when Lion's Paw were ordered, and at the Lion's Paw price on the menu.

Final insult was they no longer accept credit cards at the restaurant.

All that said, is how I came to finally check out the dinner menu at Nautilus. An amazing surprise.

I dare say that their menu is the most diverse in the area. A number of soups and salads offered. My tortilla soup was wonderful, a rich broth loaded with avocado. A companion ordered what was listed as Salad de chef, which was romaine, avocado, cheese, and honest to God, for you bacon lovers, contained 6 strips of bacon.

You can get some of the old Mexican standby, such as steak and/or chicken fajitas.

Fish, shrimp and other seafood (Lion' Paw in season) are on the menu.

They have a large number of Italian dishes, including a house lasagna, spinach cannelloni, and shrimp fettuccine.

And, they have a selection of pizzas with various toppings in personal and medium sizes. A companion ordered the Hawaiian. It was really good. And a great crust with loads of cheese.

c-cktails, beer and wine are available, too.

Prices are very reasonable, and they accept credit cards.

I frankly do not recall everything on the menu, but I can say with out hesitation, that we will be going back to Nautilus for dinner again.

DianaT - 10-27-2011 at 12:04 PM

Try Don Gus sometime---we like it better than most places.

rts551 - 10-27-2011 at 12:24 PM

At the plaza I got violently sick after breakfast one time. The eggs had tasted funny which should have been a clue to quit immediately. Lasted for a couple of days. This one bad experience is enough to cause me to never go back. Lot of other good places to go so I spread my business around.

BFS - 10-28-2011 at 10:59 AM

I had dinner here sunday night and it was very poor quality. Warmish beer and some of the food was frozen. I could not finish it and was starving after the 480 mile drive.

Bajahowodd - 10-28-2011 at 04:30 PM

Go figure.

BajaBlanca - 10-28-2011 at 08:43 PM

boy...Les just went to malarrimo 2 weeks ago and had the filet mignon. it was perfect and he brought one back for me that was perfect too.

since we never ever order any other menu item, we cannot attest as to the quality of anything else, but if you don't mind eating meat in seafood baja - order the filet mignon and be ever so pleased.

I kid you not, their filet mignon is mouth-watering and melts in your mouth.

Very surprising that they would not accept a credit card ????? when they run such a busy hotel ???? odd. indeed.

Same 'ol problem in Guerrero Negro...

CasaManzana - 10-29-2011 at 08:02 AM

Good-Bad-Good-Bad.....same restaurant. You just never know in that town so last time we tried the restaurant at the Cowboy Motel. This one set a new low just when ya thought that had already happened. And the Italian/pizza place at the far end of town is never open. And the "just so-so" Chinese place is now closed for ever. And the pollo asada place never has any chicken yet the doors are open...geesh! Just another 45 minutes is San Vicente. I think we will push on next time just for the food problem alone and try one of these.
http://www.ericrench.com/MEXICO/VICENTE/DINING
And San Vicente has a great motel
Stay tuned- new at 11

And I just ran across this-

CasaManzana - 10-29-2011 at 08:10 AM

...just after my post that may be of some help to us all-
http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=35299#

rts551 - 10-29-2011 at 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by CasaManzana
Good-Bad-Good-Bad.....same restaurant. You just never know in that town so last time we tried the restaurant at the Cowboy Motel. This one set a new low just when ya thought that had already happened. And the Italian/pizza place at the far end of town is never open. And the "just so-so" Chinese place is now closed for ever. And the pollo asada place never has any chicken yet the doors are open...geesh! Just another 45 minutes is San Vicente. I think we will push on next time just for the food problem alone and try one of these.
http://www.ericrench.com/MEXICO/VICENTE/DINING
And San Vicente has a great motel
Stay tuned- new at 11

San Vicente is a lot further than 45 minutes. Could you be talking about Vizcaino?

David K - 10-29-2011 at 08:24 AM

The link is to San Vicente, as well... That is a good 300+ miles from Guerrero Negro (5-6 hours), unless one was using Warp Drive!

[Edited on 10-29-2011 by David K]

daveyjoans - 10-29-2011 at 08:58 AM

two weeks ago we stayed at Mallerimos two nights. First night at their restaurant I ordered the Mano de Leons and they were excellent, with capers sprinkled on top and usual soup, rice and vegies. I like their soups. Second night we went to Las Cazuelas and I ordered mano de leon ajo de mojo and it was very delicious. Hubbies food was good too, happy campers r us!

David K - 10-29-2011 at 09:55 AM

MALARRIMO

http://www.malarrimo.com

shari - 10-29-2011 at 10:06 AM

while Don Gus is a bit pricey...it has been consistant..always...high class place with excellent food, service and decor...worth the extra pesos.

My second choice is Las Cazuelas...and Cowboy Tacos has the best tacos in town hands down.

Bajahowodd - 10-29-2011 at 05:05 PM

To expand on a comment I made earlier, If the tourism business is slow, it's probably smart to go where he locals go. In GN, given that the Asadero Cowboy is often packed with locals, one can be fairly assured that the food they are consuming is fresh.

Having eaten there years ago, way before Chavelo built his hotel, there's no arguing that the food is very tasty. But just don't look for veggies or salad there. It is what it is.

Don Gus, or any of the other places, one just has to remember that in an era of less tourism, the freshness of the food, or the availability of the food can be questioned.

And, the bottom line is that each of us has their own level of taste. A restaurant that totally pleases one of us, may seem like a dump to another. Different strokes.

Jack Swords - 10-29-2011 at 05:17 PM

Having eaten at Don Gus for the past 14 years, we have never been disappointed. Frequently we meet the owner lady eating there and she seems to regularly oversee the restaurant.

daveyjoans - 10-29-2011 at 05:52 PM

Don Gus served delicious food when we ate there last year and the year before that. It is always a reward to have a fine dinner after days/weeks on the beach and a long drive.
:lol:

sanquintinsince73 - 10-29-2011 at 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by daveyjoans
two weeks ago we stayed at Mallerimos two nights. First night at their restaurant I ordered the Mano de Leons and they were excellent, with capers sprinkled on top and usual soup, rice and vegies. I like their soups. Second night we went to Las Cazuelas and I ordered mano de leon ajo de mojo and it was very delicious. Hubbies food was good too, happy campers r us!

What is "Mano de Leons"?

David K - 10-29-2011 at 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sanquintinsince73
Quote:

What is "Mano de Leons"?

http://www.santamonicaseafood.com/product-catalog/mano-de-le...

Paula - 10-29-2011 at 07:46 PM

We've never had a bad meal at Malarrimo. Sometimes it is wonderful, sometimes just good enough. We think about trying other restaurants in GN, but that picture of the young girls walking in the dunes calls out to me, and when we enter the restaurant, I feel like I'm almost home. We only stop there going south, and it is a very sentimental stop, only once a year. I look at other places, but can't bring myself to eat any place else in GN.

daveyjoans - 10-29-2011 at 07:57 PM

mano de leon are the large sea scallops...size of a lions paw

sanquintinsince73 - 10-29-2011 at 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:
Originally posted by sanquintinsince73
Quote:

What is "Mano de Leons"?

http://www.santamonicaseafood.com/product-catalog/mano-de-le...

Ohh, ok. I love those raw sashimi style with lime juice, salt, and hot sauce. I've also had them as Cayo de acha en aguachile.