BajaNomad

Los Barriles, San Francisquito and Asuncion...

Pacifico - 10-28-2011 at 11:57 AM

I just returned from a great 3 weeks in Baja. The first week I went to Los Barrilles on the East Cape and stayed at a friend's house. We fished a couple of days, however it was really slow. 80 plus miles of trolling and not even a jig strike! This was during the slow time that occurred around the start of October. We saw some fish caught, but not a lot. That's fishing! So, we did a lot of quad riding to the beach and up some of the arroyos:

I came home from Los Barrilles and was home about 14 hours - just long enough for my wife and I to pack and head back to Baja for 2 more weeks...we were heading to San Francisquito and Asuncion.

We stayed at Jardines Baja on the way down and as usual had a great room and an excellent meal! By the way, it does appear that The Old Mill is officially closed. I heard that it was only for the winter and I also heard that it is for good - so, who knows?

We arrived at San Francisquito and relaxed and fished for many days. Lots of small yellowtail around and barracuda. The big guys hadn't arrived yet... hopefully soon!

We then headed over to Bahia Asuncion for a couple of nights. I had never been there and had always wanted to check it out. We took the short cut through Ejido Guillermo Prieto (?) and came out just north of Vizcaino. Upon arriving in Asuncion, we headed out to Juan and Shari's place. We met both of them and Shari hooked us up with a nice little casita! We fished the next day with their crew and caught several yellowtail. We started up at San Pablo and worked our way back south from there. We had a great time!

Upon arriving back at the beach, Shari whipped up some sashimi and we all had cold beers....it was great! Shari and Juan are such great hosts and I highly recommend them! Such great people - totally laid back and cool! We will definitely be back!!!

We met lots of great people and enjoyed a great dinner with Nomads "Nan and D" - Super nice people as well.

From there we worked our way back home, again staying at Jardines and hooking up with other friends from San Francisquito. We had another great meal and it was the perfect night to end the trip on!

Now, I just gotta get back to work for a bit and then I'm heading back for some big yellows and the 1000!

David K - 10-28-2011 at 12:07 PM

Great reading!

How was the San Francisquito-Guillermo Prieto road? Did you check out Mision Santa Gertrudis along the way (and a few miles east)?

Pacifico - 10-28-2011 at 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Great reading!

How was the San Francisquito-Guillermo Prieto road? Did you check out Mision Santa Gertrudis along the way (and a few miles east)?

The road was good with the exception of one rocky section which I think can be by-passed. There is a section that goes up a rocky hill and then follows a ridge, then comes back down. I think there is "the low road" which is sandy that goes around it. My wife was a bit freaked out about it! It was rutted out pretty bad! (But fun!!!)

We did not visit the mission - maybe next time.....

Udo - 10-28-2011 at 01:14 PM

Did you arrive via El Arco or Bahia De Los Angeles?

Curt63 - 10-28-2011 at 01:26 PM

Great pics. Nice report!

Good Times!

capt. mike - 10-28-2011 at 02:40 PM

this is the most extreme example of baja fever i have ever read about.....
you go ALL the way to the east cape, come home for 14 hours, then go more than 1/2 way down again??

hat's off to you.
i can't imagine wanting to do that ever and i like baja generally.:o;D

Cypress - 10-28-2011 at 02:55 PM

Pacifico, Thanks for the report.:spingrin:

Bajaboy - 10-28-2011 at 07:39 PM

Thanks for the report. We're headed down to Playa San Rafael in three weeks for some beach camping and then over to Bahia Asuncion for Thanksgiving....I can't wait! Thanks for sharing.

zac

BajaBlanca - 10-28-2011 at 08:29 PM

amazing trip ... holy moley, you were cranking !! glad your adventure was all good.

Pacifico - 10-28-2011 at 08:38 PM

Udo - We went in through BOLA. The road was rougher than usual on the north part. El Arco route is much nicer right now according to friends....

Capt. Mike - Yes, I've got the fever bad!!!

Zac - Sounds fun....I love your town of Asuncion! Very cool....

Blanca - We wanted to come down your way, but it will have to wait for another trip!