BajaNomad

A day at Secret Beach

shari - 11-1-2011 at 08:01 PM

Juan & I took a much deserved day off today to go to the beach. While waiting for the tide to come in, we watched the 5 resident toninos (dolphin family) stroll up the beach, then surf the whole way back, then do it again and again and again...guess they were waiting for the tide to rise too so they could get breakfast.

Juan's secret...never fail fishing beach...failed to produce boca dulce which is perplexing, but we had a wonderful day anyway relaxing in the sand and waves. The water was glorious as usual this time of year and I did some beachcombing and dancing, smiling all the while.

On our way home, we did a little pithaya hunting and were pleased to find so many nice fruit considering how dry it has been.

We ran into an old friend near the road and had a little visit with Nieve who was looking a bit thin but seemed happy to see us.

[Edited on 11-2-2011 by shari]

dtbushpilot - 11-1-2011 at 09:05 PM

Nice Shari, thanks. Looking forward to coming up your way soon.....dt

bajamedic - 11-1-2011 at 10:43 PM

Sheri, I think the problem with catching fish is the hook goes in the water not on the pole (see photo #2). JH:lol:

BajaDanD - 11-1-2011 at 11:00 PM

thats a scary looking fruit. What do they taste like

Neal Johns - 11-1-2011 at 11:57 PM

They taste great!

shari - 11-2-2011 at 06:56 AM

Pithaya fruit is my very favorite thing about the desert and is so much fun to hunt for them...kinda like an easter egg hunt. Getting them off the cactus however is best left to Juan...you have to patiently scratch off all the spines with a pocketknife, then cut the fruit off and put it in the bucket.

DanD...we can take your family out pithaya hunting when you get here...it's awesome....but ya need to wear something other than flipflops out there...hiking boots are best.

Here is the inside of the fruit...one I ate...some fruits are half eaten by birds and these are the sweetest ones and you can eat the other half. they taste kinda like a cross between a strawberry and kiwi.

David K - 11-2-2011 at 09:02 AM

The Pithaya could rate up with some of the world's finest fruits! I first had some with Antonio 'BajaCactus' being sold out of trucks who drove up from La Paz area to San Quintin to sell them... that was back in Nov. 2004:

mcfez - 11-3-2011 at 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
Pithaya fruit is my very favorite thing about the desert and is so much fun to hunt for them...kinda like an easter egg hunt. Getting them off the cactus however is best left to Juan...you have to patiently scratch off all the spines with a pocketknife, then cut the fruit off and put it in the bucket.

DanD...we can take your family out pithaya hunting when you get here...it's awesome....but ya need to wear something other than flipflops out there...hiking boots are best.

Here is the inside of the fruit...one I ate...some fruits are half eaten by birds and these are the sweetest ones and you can eat the other half. they taste kinda like a cross between a strawberry and kiwi.

I agree...the fruit is fantastic. I am growing fruit here in N. Ca on our farm......for wine making in the future. Here....something for you for being a swell BN

6 lbs ripe red pitaya fruit
2 lb sugar
6 pts water
1 crushed Campden tablet
1-1/2 tsp acid blend
1 tsp pectic enzyme
1 tsp yeast nutrient
1 pkt wine yeast

Put water on to boil. Meanwhile, carefully trim the greenery from the fruit, wash the fruit well, and chop it coarsely. Put chopped fruit, sugar and yeast nutrient into primary. When water boils, pour into primary and stir until sugar dissolves. Cover with a sanitized cloth and set aside to cool. When at room temperature, add crushed Campden tablet and stir. Recover primary and set aside for 12 hours. Add pectic enzyme, stir, recover primary, and set aside another 12 hours. Add activated yeast. Stir daily for 7 days. Strain through nylon straining bag and squeeze juice out of red pitaya pulp. Transfer liquid to secondary, top up if required and fit airlock. Rack, top up and refit airlock every 30 days until wine clears and no new sediments form during a 30-day period. Stabilize, sweeten to taste, wait 10 days, and rack into bottles. Like most wines, it should improve with age.

Your photos are fantastic!

BigOly - 11-3-2011 at 05:57 PM

I just don't get it. So often when I post high quality photos on this site they fuzz out. Now that I know I have more time I'll just have to keep trying. The docs are turning me loose so watch out sierra, I'll be back to LB soon.

woody with a view - 11-3-2011 at 06:09 PM

it's because Shari and DK host there fotos somewhere besides Nomad's server. the size and quality is not limited to 50kb.

Skipjack Joe - 11-3-2011 at 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BigOly

I just don't get it. So often when I post high quality photos on this site they fuzz out.

It can't be the website. You're losing quality during the reduction to 50KB somehow. During compression. Are you using photoshop for reduction? Are you doing a final sharpening after you have it at the proper image size?

If you copy the file you displayed on nomads and view it locally on your browser it should look the same. After all that's what the browser is doing when you are reading this website.

shari - 11-3-2011 at 06:37 PM

I think these photos are around 250 kb and I load them up to Photobucket and just copy the image link into the post...thanks for liking the photos

BajaRat - 11-3-2011 at 08:50 PM

Margarita Time!!!!

BajaGringo - 11-3-2011 at 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaRat
Margarita Time!!!!

I'm not having much luck with solid food tonight so that would be the next best thing...

;)

David K - 11-4-2011 at 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
it's because Shari and DK host there fotos somewhere besides Nomad's server. the size and quality is not limited to 50kb.

www.photobucket.com and when you load the photos from your PC to Photobucket, PLEASE do so at 800 pixels or less (per Baja Nomad request)... 640 works best for most. >>>
====================================================

BajaNomad

Super Administrator
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

posted on 10-25-2011 at 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by byoungquist
Excuse me; but, how do you post pic on this Forum?

If you're attaching an image, the file size needs to be under 50 kB. You can also reference a photo from a third-party site (such as a photo-hosting site like photobucket, etc) by using the button.

While there is no file-size limitation, please keep these photos to no more than 800 pixels in width (currently).

Avatars must also be hosted at a third-party source, and are referenced by their URL address.

Thanks.

====================================================

Quote:
Originally posted by Timo1
Who keeps the screen expanded.....Kinda ruins the thread.

As Emerald Dawn stated... a photo posted here that is over 800 pixels wide will stretch the screen and require sidways scrolling.

I know Roger is trying, but when you upload from your PC files to Photobucket... remember to click 'Customize your upload options' (link in blue at bottom of pop up you get when you click 'upload now')

Then pick 640 x 480 (I recommend) for a large, but not full frame image here. I only use 800 x 600 for maps or satellite imgaes usually for max. detail viewing.

Click SAVE... then upload your photos to Photobucket... Use the 'IMG' code and paste that link right here with your text/ captions... You can post several photos but I think no more than a dozen per post is wise.

Here is the same image at different sizes, up to 800:

160 pixels wide

320 pixels

640 pixels

800 pixels

The standard Photobucket upload size is over 1000 pixels wide, that is why you need to pre-select a smaller size before uploading photos that you want to share here or on other forums that don't automatically resize images.

[Edited on 11-4-2011 by David K]