BajaNomad

Nomad Hunter Gathers roam the desert in Asuncion (and fishing report)

shari - 11-7-2011 at 11:43 AM

It has been a real Nomadic weekend and neat to see old Nomads hookin up with new ones...we sure heard alot of incredible tales of old baja! and shared some new ones with Baja Bernie, Bigboy, DanD and their families.

we enjoyed BS'ing, c-cktail hour and pullin each other out of the sand....big boy Larry to the rescue!

I bet lots of you know this truck's daddy!

they came to fish but we have had a 4 day blow here over the weekend so instead of hunting world record fish, Jaime, Bernie, Larry, Cristine, Nan & D, Juan and I took to the desert to hunt for world record pithayas! Found one as big as an orange but forgot the official measuring tape...so we ate it!
Here is Nancy showing Cristine how to cut the spines off the cactus fruit.

the birds got to this one before we did!

Oh yeah and I think I forgot to mention the 22 lb DORADO that Surfdoc caught before the weather turned to crap...only 5 miles out...woooo hooooo

hopefully we will return to our regular fishing program tomorrow!

[Edited on 11-9-2011 by shari]

DianaT - 11-7-2011 at 11:54 AM

We hope it will be quite a while before that road is a real road, but meantime, lots of people are pulled out of there----very, very soft.

Mexitron - 11-7-2011 at 01:36 PM

Awesome, and nice to see Baja Bernie back in the hinterland. I think I've got pics of that same Elephant Tree....

Sallysouth - 11-7-2011 at 03:13 PM

So thats where Bigboy and wifey are!!! I went by their house and nobody home!!Nice Dodo surfdoc!!

Paulina - 11-7-2011 at 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mexitron
Awesome, and nice to see Baja Bernie back in the hinterland.

Hear, Hear! If Bernie is still there, please give him our best.

Paulina>*))))>{

GC - 11-7-2011 at 08:24 PM

Too bad about the weather. Larry was really looking forward to some great Calico fishing.

Bajaboy - 11-7-2011 at 08:53 PM

Thought of you cats down in BA while shopping at Pancho Villas here in San Diego yesterday. The cactus pears are on sale for 80 cents a pound. See you in a few weeks.

Zac

shari - 11-8-2011 at 07:29 AM

CG...Larry and DanD got out this morning finally...the weather smartened up...swell is going down and only a few knots of wind...hope Capt. Juan can get them onto some nice calico!

BajaBernie is sipping Java under the palms in San Ignacio today!

shari - 11-8-2011 at 07:13 PM

the boys spent a great day on the water finally and managed to bag some 20 lb yellowtail, white fish, calico and big bonita....air temps were up in the 80's again...summer's back!!!

and here are the happy fishermen and their families chowing down on fresh sashimi and fresh crab after a hard day on the water.

Paulina - 11-8-2011 at 09:25 PM

Shari,

Did Dan bring Hank along? If so, I hope you have some photos of him to post!

P>*)))>{

shari - 11-9-2011 at 07:09 AM

Paulina....I regret to say that Hank is wowing the angels in doggie heaven now...we all miss him but Dan & Barbara are now doting on a new grandaughter Bella.
this is what happens when you have a fishin grandpa.....

mulegemichael - 11-9-2011 at 07:52 AM

still no tuna, huh?...has the water temp stopped rising?...falling?...steady???...see ya in a couple of weeks...m and r.

shari - 11-9-2011 at 09:22 AM

the water temps are up and down but in the low 70's...dorado are pretty close now...6-8 miles out...no tuna yet...look forward to seeing you...any chance of scoring some of those fantastic organic veggies again this year?

bigboy - 11-11-2011 at 08:46 AM

We had a wonderful time with Shari and Juan. Our desert trip looking for pithaya fruit was a special treat! Meeting Baja Bernie and his wife Jaime topped off the trip. What an interesting man with more stories about Baja than anyone I have ever met.

I wanted to fish a couple of times during the trip but a big blow only allowed me to fish one day. Yellowtail fishing was good but the calico fishing was slow because of the water temperature drop from the wind. Next time there I'll target the calicos for a catch and release day of fishing.

boe4fun - 11-12-2011 at 05:31 PM

Save some fish for me! Been bustin butt in La Paz for the past two weeks. Delivered 22 legs and 6 different bracing systems. Every else flew out or road out (on their motorcycles) this morning. I gotta clean up and organize for the next clinic. Hope to leave Wed. AM. See you all real soon.

woody with a view - 11-12-2011 at 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
Paulina....I regret to say that Hank is wowing the angels in doggie heaven now...we all miss him but Dan & Barbara are now doting on a new grandaughter Bella.
this is what happens when you have a fishin grandpa.....

yep! what a great foto for the kiddie to look back on when she is older. that's a cooool gramps! sorry we missed all ya' all's....

BajaDanD - 11-12-2011 at 09:03 PM

Paulina. Thanks for asking about Hank He passed away a few months ago ate something he shouldn't have. one of the best dogs I ever owned. Ill write a trip report in a day or so.
Shari wanted me to hold Bella upside down by her foot, "Next time"

shari - 11-12-2011 at 09:59 PM

Dan...that's not true...I suggested you hold her by both feet:spingrin:

Paulina - 11-13-2011 at 12:27 AM

Dan,
We are so sorry to hear about Hank. Our boy Carter has been into eating paper towels lately.
It's because of Hank that we have such a wonderful Boerboel in our
Family and we can't thank you enough.
Loved the photo of your granddaughter and looking forward to your report.

P>*)))>{