BajaNomad

Fishing Guides that take requests

vacaenbaja - 11-8-2011 at 09:05 PM

It seems to me that most of the pangeros that I fish with
have a preference for catching only a certain type of fish.
Lets say yellowtail. Most times they will do their best to find them. However after a few hours of fruitless persuit I will
suggest that perhaps we should fish for grouper, or trigger fish. ANYTHING that pulls. This is often times met with a
stuborn distain, like,"No not on my boat". "This is a yellowtail
boat." I used to see this same thing when I fished for Marlin.
If it was not a gamefish it is not wanted on the boat.
I will be fishing in BOLA this Thanksgiving week and was
wondering if there are any guides that can be recommended
that do not mind fishing for lets say white sea bass, groupers, bass or triggers, leaving the yellowtail to chance.

Alan - 11-8-2011 at 09:26 PM

Igor Galvin is the most customer oriented guide I have met. He can be contacted at Guillermos (he's his son). Also if there are any fish to be found in BoLA at anytime of the year he is usually your best bet to put you on them. Plus speaks excellent English

[Edited on 11-9-2011 by Alan]

Bugman - 11-9-2011 at 02:54 PM

Rafa Cuevas and Marcos Blanco will both fish for whatever you like without a complaint. Rafa is one of the best I have used for locating whatever is biting so you don't go home fishless. :D

Alan - 11-9-2011 at 03:55 PM

Ideally the person chartering the panga will at least listen to their panguero and make their selection from what is available at that time of year. Igor once told me of a charter that insisted on fishing for marlin. He tried numerous times (in excellent English) to explain that there were no marlin in BoLA at that time of year. They were adament "We're in Baja and we want to fish for marlin!". After trolling all day to no avail, Igor commiserated with them at the bad luck they were having. He finally asked if they would like to try just one more spot to see if they could at least get a chance to pull on something. They stubbornly agreed and he motored over and put them on a W/O YT bite. Thankfully they finally listened to him and left with grins from ear to ear. If they hadn't, they would have left telling everyone what a rotten guide Igor was.

vacaenbaja - 11-9-2011 at 08:57 PM

I have fished with Rafa and he is indeed a fine guide.
He does "fish to the beat of his own drum"and most
times will find the fish closer in rather than going far off
with the rest of the pack. Many a times I have seen Rafas
panga being followed Pied Piper fashion by numerous
other pangas. Rafa uses no GPS or Fish finder. Just his years of knowledge. The only problem is that Rafa is more often than not booked. As far as I know he does not give out his phone number if he has one.
I have also seen Igor in many a tournament go out far and wide to get the big fish. He has a very large panga that allows him this range. His knowledge of what's out there
is also superb.
We will see if whoever I go out with this time will be more open to fishing the reefs for bottom fish rather than the pelagics.

[Edited on 11-10-2011 by vacaenbaja]

Since when did the tail start wagging the dog?

Howard - 11-10-2011 at 03:32 PM

A fishing guide telling me what I can and not fish for? Unless it is illegal what I want to fish for, my money, my choice, plain and simple.

Cypress - 11-10-2011 at 04:16 PM

Reason? The resident bottom fish; snapper and grouper are fished-out. Plenty of triggerfish. The guides don't want to waste their time fishing for ghosts.:O

Alan - 11-10-2011 at 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Howard
A fishing guide telling me what I can and not fish for? Unless it is illegal what I want to fish for, my money, my choice, plain and simple.
Don't forget to blame the guide when you get skunked :lol: