BajaNomad

caught in the act

BajaBlanca - 11-8-2011 at 10:03 PM

so were were toodlling on our way to santa rosalia todfay when all of a sudden Les gently but assuredly steps on the brakes right before "cuesta del diablo" and says COPS...

they pull us over. they are federal cops. they have clocked Les as going 122 kilometers on a 80 kilometer part of the road...

the officer asks for dirver's license. check.
he asks for car papers. check.
he tells us that we have to have a license plate in front - our car's model does not allow for one, so he says to put on on the dash......plus of course, we have been caught speeding red-handed

he asks if les has ever gotten a federal ticket before, and he answers NO

cop goes over to his car and chats with his partner

we all know that Les is NOT going to pay the bribe and Blanca is nervous - right ???!!!

well, the officer comes back and says - this is a warning to drive more slowly and have a nice day.

to say that we were both aghast is putting it lightly !!

NO TICKET !!

NO BRIBE !!!

Whoa!!

fixtrauma - 11-8-2011 at 10:15 PM

redhilltown - 11-9-2011 at 01:08 AM

That is it. The final sign of the Apocalypse!!!!!!!!!!!

Russ - 11-9-2011 at 06:44 AM

Hey, How come you didn't come and p/u your dog food as long as you were out this way?:lol:

ncampion - 11-9-2011 at 07:37 AM

Had the same thing happen just South of Guerrero Negro a couple of months ago, with radar no less!!!!! Pointed to my speedometer and said, "55 maxima". I even slowed down - for a while..

mulegemichael - 11-9-2011 at 07:56 AM

i've been stopped for speeding by the federal cops three different times around the east cape area and have always been warned; no ticket, no mordita....i think they are a different breed of cat.

Alan - 11-9-2011 at 08:56 AM

I have always heard from many of my mexican friends and neighbors that the Federal Police are actually the ones that you can trust. They are well-trained and professional. Certainly not someone you want to offer a bribe to.

BajaBlanca - 11-9-2011 at 09:21 AM

These federal cops were really professional and very kind. Russ, everything took twice as long as it was supposed to yesterday.....but we will head over soon to see you and pay a quick visit to Roger who brought us TP ...... and dropped it off at the Campo Fisher restaurant ...

bajalou - 11-9-2011 at 10:04 AM

I've been stopped 3 times by the feds, twice for tail light out and once for speeding and all three times was told to "get it fixed as soon as you can" or "Slow down"

bacquito - 11-10-2011 at 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Alan
I have always heard from many of my mexican friends and neighbors that the Federal Police are actually the ones that you can trust. They are well-trained and professional. Certainly not someone you want to offer a bribe to.

I have also heard that Federal Police are well paid in comparison to local, state police.

bacquito - 11-10-2011 at 09:36 AM

My car is registered in Arizona and they don't require a front license plate. I have been stopped before in Mexico and ask about the lack of a front plate and I explained that Az. does not require it. With that explanation they let me go-no problem.

mcfez - 11-10-2011 at 01:52 PM

...........and who said BaJa was all bad?

deportes - 11-10-2011 at 02:18 PM

Viva Baja! Viva Mexico!

redhilltown - 11-22-2011 at 01:06 AM

whew! glad to hear. when I saw this subject heading I thought it might have something to do with the seinfeld "the contest" epsisode!!!!! :spingrin:

Marc - 11-22-2011 at 07:21 AM

A very clever PR campaign.:yes::yes::yes:

Pompano - 11-22-2011 at 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca
so were were toodlling on our way to santa rosalia todfay when all of a sudden Les gently but assuredly steps on the brakes right before "cuesta del diablo" and says COPS...

they pull us over. they are federal cops. they have clocked Les as going 122 kilometers on a 80 kilometer part of the road...

Blanca, quite a coincidence! I was about 15 minutes behind you guys on Nov 8th. I had just dropped off the TP at the cafe and got back on the road...and I saw the federal police cars (2 of them) ...1 on which had pulled a vehicle over just before El Diablo grade. Had to have been you.

That was me in the motorhome that beeped as I passed by. Glad you ducked a ticket or any mordida conflict. ;D

bajabass - 11-22-2011 at 12:58 PM

I was nailed going 120kmh+, north, just out of Insurgentes in February this year. Nice, English speaking Federale tells me to slow down, he doesn't want to help scrape me off the rocks on the side of the road. I say "lo siento", and we talk fishing for twenty minutes!! Got his cell number and e-mail written down on my registration now. :biggrin: