BajaNomad

Awesome beach caught BSB

baitcast - 11-10-2011 at 05:34 PM

From the sand no less,meet Steve who already has a 40" striper to his credit both caught from the beach in San Diego,Its obvious Steve has paid his dues:lol:
Rob

woody with a view - 11-10-2011 at 07:58 PM

Steve had better have another pic of him pushing that beast back out to sea.... aren't they protected?

BajaBlanca - 11-10-2011 at 08:41 PM

from what I understand, once they come up, they will die anyways since their lungs cannot handle the pressure ..... so, at least take the photo !!

Ateo - 11-10-2011 at 08:48 PM

If in Mex, I thought they we're legal. Black Sea Bass? Caught one off of La Jolla. 125 lbs. Had to let go. I have pictures.

Ateo - 11-10-2011 at 08:51 PM

I'm no fisherman, so I may be wrong.....looked like a Black Sea Bass....

Ateo - 11-10-2011 at 08:53 PM

I fought that fish for an hour only to see it laying on the surface of the ocean, dead, but we tapped it with a bat, and it went back down to the depths. How old is that fish? 20 years? I'll post my photo once i upload to Photobucket and do all the crap to post here.:spingrin:

Mengano - 11-10-2011 at 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca
from what I understand, once they come up, they will die anyways since their lungs cannot handle the pressure...

Fish lungs? :rolleyes:

tripledigitken - 11-10-2011 at 08:59 PM

If caught from shore it was most likely caught in shallow water.

Ken

rts551 - 11-10-2011 at 09:01 PM

Blanca

That's only if they are very deep.

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca
from what I understand, once they come up, they will die anyways since their lungs cannot handle the pressure ..... so, at least take the photo !!

dean miller - 11-10-2011 at 09:41 PM

It is a small Giant sea bass aka Black sea bass.
It is not too old 15 -20 years

Protected in California waters since 1972.

Steve can be facing a huge fine for catching it.

sdm

movinguy - 11-10-2011 at 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dean miller

sdm

Correct - Mero = OK in MX, not so in CA . . . :o

TonyC - 11-10-2011 at 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dean miller

sdm

only if he kept it....not for catching it.

baitcast - 11-11-2011 at 07:19 AM

Steve's fish was hooked and caught from the beach,and yes they are protected and it was released moments later,they didn't even take time to measure the fish,its swimming free and happy today no harm done:rolleyes:

And no its belly didn't blow up,you all can relax now:lol:
Rob

baitcast - 11-11-2011 at 07:35 AM

Since the ban has taken place in Calif. this is not to uncommon its the size that is,these big boys will move into the surf at nite,most all that are caught is at nite.

And no their bellies won't bust when hooked in shallow water,its against the law to KEEP the fish,we have no choice what takes the bait do we:lol:
Rob

I thought I was very clear,caught from the beach,caught from the sand,released on the spot:rolleyes:

[Edited on 11-11-2011 by baitcast]

Pescador - 11-11-2011 at 07:54 AM

They only have problems when they are caught in over 60 feet of water and because they come up so fast, they get Barometric Trauma, which is where the gasses in their body can not escape fast enough and when the water pressure is reduced the gasses blow up. A Mero caught in the shallows does not have this problem and is already adjusted to the depth and pressure. It is not illegal to catch them in California, it is only illegal to keep them and they have to be returned. There have been several developments in equipment that will work to return a fish to the depths, but the most promising with the best results is a large weight and a small non-barbed hook which will return the fish to depth and when shaken or the fish gets stronger and shakes and comes loose from the weight. Survival rates are very high with this method.

bacquito - 11-11-2011 at 02:25 PM

Wow, what if this fish were cought in Mexico. Could it be kept and eaten?

Cypress - 11-11-2011 at 02:42 PM

Would have a hard time releasing that fish. But, one of these days. Maybe? You, never know, you might be able to keep one. Sorta like the lottery system on big game animals? Why not?

bacquito, If that fish were caught in Mexico? I smell fish frying.:D

David K - 11-11-2011 at 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
Would have a hard time releasing that fish. But, one of these days. Maybe? You, never know, you might be able to keep one. Sorta like the lottery system on big game animals? Why not?

bacquito, If that fish were caught in Mexico? I smell fish frying.:D

Photo from Bedman in 2001.

420 lb. black sea bass... It was cut up and cooked at Cielito Lindo for the next big fiesta there (I saw it on their floor in 2001)!