BajaNomad

Mag Bay Report, Nov. 12 - Wahoo Aplenty Outside on the Ridge, Snook and More Inside - It Must be Fall in Lopez Mateos

bill erhardt - 11-12-2011 at 04:58 PM

I fished for wahoo yesterday and the day before outside Mag Bay, launching in Puerto Lopez Mateos. The SST has cooled a few degrees over the past week to around 70, but the hoos apparently don't have anyplace better to be. The surface conditions were good Thursday, with just a little bump, and just about perfect yesterday. There was a nice full moon to illuminate the boca at 4:00 a.m. and allow easy arrival at the high spot by sun-up.

There were no long range boats on site either day, and I shared the fishing spot with only two other boats each day, all from Loreto. Thursday, it was an all Bluewater armada with Bob Meyers and Gene Story on Bob's BW 2150 What a Boat Bob, and Jim King with sidekicks Avery and Dick on Angel Fire. Yesterday I fished with Mike/Rosy Sheffer and Barry Wilkerson on the Sheffers' Tabasco, and Bill Klaser on Reel Duck Too with PLM captain Ruben Duran at the helm. The only boat of the four not considerate enough to catch a fish close by so I could get an action photo was What a Boat Bob. That was not for want of action, however. With Captain Ernesto Duran, son of Ruben, providing guidance, Bob and Gene caught five fat hoos and went home happy.
The wahoo were patrolling in schools, and all boats had as many double hook-ups as single. I caught 14 fish over the two days and got an opportunity to practice C&R wahoo for the first time this year. Reel Duck Too had 11 hoos yesterday and Tabasco 10. Angel Fire got 3 hoos Thursday and a 6' mako shark that couldn't resist a Yo-Zuri Bonita.

Thursday and Friday Ruben fished inside the estero with a trio of fishermen from Los Barriles who make an annual fall pilgrimage to Lopez Mateos. They caught easy limits of pargo, corvina, etc., and seven nice snook. I traded a wahoo for one of the snook. A 50# wahoo for a 20# snook may not sound like a very good deal, but there is usually a glut of wahoo at my house and I seldom get snook, so I was happy with it.

For full report with more pics, see report on BloodyDecks:
http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/baja-mexico-fishing-reports...

WARNING: If you don't like to see pictures of fish dead or in distress, stop right here.

Sunrise yesterday at the high spot.

bn1.jpg - 44kB

bill erhardt - 11-12-2011 at 05:01 PM

The full moon setting in the west at daybreak.

bn2.jpg - 48kB

bill erhardt - 11-12-2011 at 05:07 PM

Jim King, and crew, aboard Angel Fire (my old Soledad) with a wahoo at the boat.

bn4.jpg - 45kB

bill erhardt - 11-12-2011 at 05:09 PM

Mike Sheffer strains to keep a big hoo's head up while Barry Wilkerson removes a hook and Rosy gives advice.

bn5.jpg - 46kB

bill erhardt - 11-12-2011 at 05:11 PM

Lopez Mateos captain, Ruben Duran, brings a fish aboard Reel Duck Too.

bn6.jpg - 41kB

bill erhardt - 11-12-2011 at 05:13 PM

A double on the deck on Soledad.

bn7.jpg - 38kB

bill erhardt - 11-12-2011 at 05:16 PM

One does not want to get too close to these. That door, by the way, is 14" wide.

bn8.jpg - 43kB

bill erhardt - 11-12-2011 at 05:17 PM

A wahoo on the deck showing off a BigBiteOffshore WahooBite.

bn9.jpg - 38kB

bill erhardt - 11-12-2011 at 05:19 PM

Wahoo at the boat.

bn10.jpg - 41kB

bajajudy - 11-12-2011 at 05:22 PM

Bill
Sweet
I'd trade a 50wahoo for a 20snook any day.....

bill erhardt - 11-12-2011 at 05:25 PM

Ruben Duran with snook and other fish caught in the estero Wednesday.

bn3.jpg - 44kB

BornFisher - 11-12-2011 at 05:43 PM

Bill- you guys have that program down! Congrats!
How would you compare Snook to WSB as far as eating?

bill erhardt - 11-12-2011 at 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BornFisher
Bill- you guys have that program down! Congrats!
How would you compare Snook to WSB as far as eating?

I have never eaten any white sea bass, and haven't yet tasted the snook I brought home last night. The snook I've eaten before, however, was real good. As good as cabrilla or wahoo, which are two of my favorites. Ruben has also been catching a lot of pargo in the estero, which many think are the tastiest of all fish.

Pompano - 11-12-2011 at 06:21 PM

Carumba, Bill what great 2-day excitement with those hoos. Gorgeous photos of ACTION PLUS, as usual with your camera eye. You know how to keep a fisherman looking forward to his trip.

I'm chomping at the bit up here in Mulege. Just got back a couple days ago, and already anxious to leave for Mag Bay!

Got some boat stuff to do first, though..then 2-3 boats from our area are heading thataway. Will camp somewhere close to the ramp and run area. Who knows..?..I might stay forever in Wahoo Heaven. And I know about those Mag bay snook...great on ultralights, plus I can't wait for that dinner treat.

Alan - 11-12-2011 at 06:25 PM

I think I'm starting to hate you Bill! What can I say, Congrats on another great trip for you. You are the man!

BornFisher - 11-12-2011 at 09:22 PM

Bill-- WSB are a lazy, fat, dumb, eating machine. They go for the easier meal, thus fresh dead squid is as good as live. Dead squid is pure white and just hanging there. Point is, they (WSB) are fat pigs." Bacon of the Sea" I call them. And like bacon, they have a wonderful fat content, much like Halibut.
I`ve only had Wahoo a few times but remember it the same-- just exceptional.
And that Mako--- another favorite. Again congrats on another great fishing session (I like how you do it solo), keep the reports coming!

bill erhardt - 11-13-2011 at 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajajudy
Bill
Sweet
I'd trade a 50wahoo for a 20snook any day.....

Judy.....You are well situated to indulge your preference. Many real nice snook are caught within a mile or so of your house. No 4:00 a.m. launches and bone jarring rides out to the high spot. Just a short walk down to the shore where the robalo come to you.....

capt. mike - 11-13-2011 at 08:41 AM

jealous......wahoo is the best fish i ever tasted.

Bill - do you know the status of the old San Carlos landing strip at mag bay area? many say it is closed or unuseable.

bill erhardt - 11-13-2011 at 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike
jealous......wahoo is the best fish i ever tasted.

Bill - do you know the status of the old San Carlos landing strip at mag bay area? many say it is closed or unuseable.

Mike.....I don't know the answer to that, but Steve Warren of Mag Bay Tours probably would. He operates out of San Carlos. Steve's mx. cell number is (613) 105-6031.