BajaNomad

"This is not the Mexico I left 15 years ago"

Mengano - 11-13-2011 at 11:22 AM

Orange County family returns to a violence-plagued Mexico

Skeet/Loreto - 11-13-2011 at 11:56 AM

No. Things have changed all over, Mexico and the States.

The many years I spent in and around Loreto Baja Sur were very peacefull . Now , onmy last trip I had a Cautious Feeling , even in Mulege.

It will take the people of mexico to stop the Violance caused by all the Problems, It might even take some Direct action from the States to help them get rid of the Bad Ones.

Interesting the effect of the mexicano People leaving San Ana is having as they leave.

Skeet

wessongroup - 11-13-2011 at 12:15 PM

It is interesting what is going on in Santa Ana... losing some great places ... but, it is change and it is what it is...

An article from the LA Times on what's happening on 4th Street .... in Santa Ana ... an interesting "results" of what can happen in 2-3 generations of folks that get into the economy ....

http://tinyurl.com/7eoohoz

Remember Santa Ana when the Freeway ended at Main St and there wasn't a 405 .... :lol::lol: it used to be a real drive to Sand Diego and/or Baja...

bacquito - 11-13-2011 at 04:03 PM

Thanks for the article. I have relatives in Orange County.
I have been traveling Mexico for about 40 years but just as a tourist. I have seen conditions improve in areas such roads, commuications, shopping areas, cleaner bathrooms at Pemex stations (for the most part), but the violence is another matter-so sad.
The answer is not only with Mexico but also the USA. Legalize drugs?? More severe sentenceing?
I feel sorry for anybody that came here with the hopes of improving their lives even if they lacked papers only to be kicked out when they at last felt comfortable

Hook - 11-13-2011 at 04:39 PM

He still had relatives in the Acapulco area AND HE HAD NO IDEA WHAT ACAPULCO HAS BECOME IN THE LAST FEW YEARS????? :rolleyes:

I can understand relocating...........but Acapulco???

Bajahowodd - 11-13-2011 at 04:45 PM

Exactly! Acapulco, sad to say, has become a sewer of cartel activity. The article would perhaps be more relevant if the family's destination was somewhere other than a region that is boiling over with cartel activity.

bacquito - 11-13-2011 at 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
Exactly! Acapulco, sad to say, has become a sewer of cartel activity. The article would perhaps be more relevant if the family's destination was somewhere other than a region that is boiling over with cartel activity.

Family, illness (cancer)

Bajahowodd - 11-15-2011 at 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bacquito
Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd

Family, illness (cancer)

I have a special fondness for Acapulco as I went there over thirty years ago.

Back then, the major problem was the water quality in the bay, inasmuch as there was a huge population and a bay that had a relatively small outlet to the Pacific, but was the main outlet for sewerage from a huge population.

Bodies dumped on the Costera has a very negative effect on tourism.

Very sad.

djh - 11-15-2011 at 07:01 PM

I read this story both as a property owner in Baja Sur (Loreto), and as a 30 year school teacher and counselor..... and I'm saddened by the girls' situation and plight.

These are not simple cliche situations and the answers are equally difficult for this family...

D

Hook - 11-15-2011 at 07:06 PM

Isnt Acapulco where there has been a rash of teacher/ransom kidnappings in recent months?

djh - 11-15-2011 at 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
Isnt Acapulco where there has been a rash of teacher/ransom kidnappings in recent months?

Yes, Hook,

It is one of the places experiencing teacher kidnappings.....

Damned sorry state of affairs..... Do you ever wonder . . . . IF all of the local police, state police, federal police, and local, state, and federal politicians and bureaucrats were ethical and totally incorruptible . . . then could all of the crime in Mexico be adequately interdicted, prosecuted, and reduced???? I often wonder just how much of the fuel on the fire is from (or allowed simply by) corruption????

In the US we certainly have our share of corruption, but it is less apparent perhaps...?

Food for thought.

D

Mexitron - 11-15-2011 at 08:34 PM

What a sad story...