BajaNomad

"New" wind site for boating

Hook - 11-15-2011 at 02:38 PM

Well, new to me. Maybe many have already been using it.

File this under the never-ending quest to find something more accurate than Buoy.

For me, sonrisanet.org has been the most accurate. I'll begin to compare this new site to sonrisa, Buoy, Sailflow.

BTW, it has SSTs, too.

http://windalert.com/Search.aspx#search

Pompano - 11-15-2011 at 02:46 PM

Hook, ..for me..nothing beats looking at the stars the night before or during pre-dawn.

Old legends are....well...legendary.

But thanks, always good to double check with these internet sites, too. Buoy is so-so, as has always been the case. I'll bookmark your new one.

p.s. I'll test it on the Pacific side in a couple weeks when ploughing out of Mag Bay for Thetis Banks.

[Edited on 11-15-2011 by Pompano]

Hook - 11-15-2011 at 06:55 PM

I'll bet that method is effective, Roger. I'll bet it's been used by Seris and Yaquis and Vagabundos del Mar, to great advantage.

But sometimes I'd like to know 2-4 days in advance, what's coming up.

Over here is San Carlos, we occasionally have full social calendars and it helps to know when the wind is blowing; to know which ones to decline and which ones to accept.

Pescador - 11-16-2011 at 06:25 AM

Hook, I hear occasional reports that Bouyweather just misses the mark on predictions, but for our area from San Marcos to Tortuga, they are usually spot on. I have heard guys from Mulege who figure the reports are not real accurate, but they usually fish Santa Inez Cove to Concepcion point and that is a whole different area with different wind patterns. On the open water, which is what you should have from Punta Doble to Punta San Antonio and out to San Pedro Island, I would think it would be more accurate.

I generally look at Bouyweather, Weather Underground, and the San Diego reports to try to get a more accurate picture, but most of the time if they have high wind reports suggested for our area, I can usually set the clock by when they will show up.

mulegemichael - 11-16-2011 at 07:46 AM

lots of resources out there but www.iwindsurf.com is as accurate as it gets, in my book...forecasts by the hour and right on.