BajaNomad

The San Felipe Shrimp Festival

Gypsy Jan - 11-15-2011 at 03:10 PM

Report with pictures:

http://menuinprogress.com/

DENNIS - 11-15-2011 at 03:23 PM

Thanks, Jan. Those pictures make me hungary.
Speaking of shrimp, I saw jumbos [I know....doesn't mean much without a count, but they were pretty good size] yesterday at WalMart....340 P's per kilo. Is that high? Seems high to me.

Woooosh - 11-15-2011 at 03:50 PM

That's $11.45 a pound!

340/13.5/2.2=11.447

[Edited on 11-15-2011 by Woooosh]

Hi Dennis

Gypsy Jan - 11-15-2011 at 03:51 PM

Short answer - to me it seems like a high price for small shrimp, but the laws of supply and demand always apply.

Our firewood guy came by on Saturday. He had not sold any wood for six weeks.

We didn't have much cash on hand, but he sold his pickup load to us for $1,100 pesos.

This is seasoned wood, quarter chopped and, believe me, it burns like butter.

J.P. - 11-15-2011 at 03:59 PM

Last Tuesday I bought 4 kilo. of jumbo in San Felipe for 760pesos =190 pesos per kilo or roughly 14.34 a kilo or7.17 a lb.:cool::cool:

DENNIS - 11-15-2011 at 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gypsy Jan
Short answer - to me it seems like a high price for small shrimp, but the laws of supply and demand always apply.

Our firewood guy came by on Saturday. He had not sold any wood for six weeks.

We didn't have much cash on hand, but he sold his pickup load to us for $1,100 pesos.

This is seasoned wood, quarter chopped and, believe me, it burns like butter.

How many spare tires under the load of wood? I've seen as many as two before. Ya gotta ask. It's always good for a laugh.

Anyway....these shrimp weren't small. I'll go back and get a kilo and figure out the count. That's the only way to know what's up.
I don't really care anyway. I just bought a deep-fryer and I'm gonna cook and eat shrimp til my belly blows up.

DENNIS - 11-15-2011 at 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by J.P.
Last Tuesday I bought 4 kilo. of jumbo in San Felipe for 760pesos =190 pesos per kilo or roughly 14.34 a kilo or7.17 a lb.:cool::cool:

Hey John....didja ever think to weigh those critters after they thawed? Seems like those kilos have a lot of water in them.

Anyway....your price sounds good.

No Spare Tire Padding

Gypsy Jan - 11-15-2011 at 04:42 PM

They stacked up an eight-foot high, double three-foot,wide, double stack against our wall and made a smaller stack inside the garage for dry and more easy access.

[Edited on 11-15-2011 by Gypsy Jan]

Hook - 11-15-2011 at 05:09 PM

We're paying about 120/kilo for the grande azuls over here, this year. Last year was more expensive. The year before was cheaper.

For the first time I bought cooked, crab claws that have the shell removed right down to the pincers. So, basically, you have this little handle to hold onto while you eat the large muscle portion, directly adjacent. Heavenly, right out of the claw! Taste like it's boiled in a mild salt solution. Not overcooked at all. 105/kilo.

Bought some outrageous lenguado fillets at a fish camp about 30 miles (by water) north of here. 50 pesos/kilo. Some of them were about a half inch thick, which is good size for the Sea.

[Edited on 11-16-2011 by Hook]

J.P. - 11-15-2011 at 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Originally posted by J.P.

Hey John....didja ever think to weigh those critters after they thawed? Seems like those kilos have a lot of water in them.

Anyway....your price sounds good.

Dennis those critters were alive and kicking when we took them off the boat I stood there and watched as they were headed and then we weighed them. I am from the Gulf Coast and Frozen Shrimp or Fish are considered not fit to eat.

Who cares about the price?

Pompano - 11-15-2011 at 07:20 PM

It's about the condition, freshness, firmness, roundness, .....

Decent shrimp being weighed by Santispac vendor last year. Clean operation. Which reminds me... I have an opening for a housekeepe....opps...Hola Carmen! ...just kidding around..

[Edited on 11-16-2011 by Pompano]

J.P. - 11-15-2011 at 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano
It's about the condition, freshness, firmness, roundness, .....

We are still talkinggggggggggg abouttttttt shrimppp arent we:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Decent shrimp being weighed by Santispac vendor last year. Clean operation. Which reminds me... I have an opening for a housekeepe....opps...Hi Hay!

Pompano - 11-15-2011 at 08:45 PM

Easy now, J.P...mind your blood pressure!