BajaNomad

Asuncion Fishing Report

shari - 11-19-2011 at 09:04 AM

It has been the perfect fishing week here...very very calm seas and winds with air temps in the low 80's and good visibility too for spearing fish...Juan got some halibut in San Roque and visiting spearos got YT.

The tin boat fleet here this week were like kids in a candy store catching limits of nice size yellowtail in several different areas...fish range from 10-38 lbs and they are eating sardines.

There are still halibut to be caught from shore as well as yellowfin croaker and corvina on rising tides.

Udo - 11-19-2011 at 09:05 AM

Nice HAUL, Shari!

acadist - 11-19-2011 at 09:07 AM

Ready to visit! May have to take the boys out on one your boats when we get down.

shari - 11-19-2011 at 09:09 AM

look forward to your visit...both of you! The yellowtail just keep getting bigger...november is the bomb month for YT fishing here! kinda getting tired of sashimi these days...it was nice to have the halibut yesterday Juan got and the lobster guys gave us a bunch of crab too....yum yum

shari - 11-19-2011 at 10:40 AM

got the nomad thang goin on here this week....last night Boe4fun pulled in and downed a ballena in short order with Bajadogs...dtbushpilot has been spotted on the beach with Cacahuate...hauling in halibut....twogringos are also back in town for a bit and had fun at spa day...not to mention a few lurkers hangin in the shadows that smell strangely like yellowtail.

bajadogs is one awesome dude!

scary lookin spa chicks!

surfdoc - 11-19-2011 at 10:41 AM

Damn Shari I'm not feelin the love.... my poor little panga was on the beach also...:(

Boys are back out today.. overcast so not "as" WFO as yesterday... but they're gettin limits of quality Tail again!

Lauriboats - 11-19-2011 at 10:44 AM

Those are some happy campers.

shari - 11-19-2011 at 10:57 AM

awwww Stanibuns...here ya are lover boy..didnt put ya in with the tin boaters cause YOU have a PANGA!!!!

tiotomasbcs - 11-19-2011 at 12:48 PM

The Beat goes on! November has been mild and warm except for, thankfully, the Rain event. Looks like Indian Summer in BA and no surf in the forecast?! Go gettum Doc. Why wasn't your picture posted with you on Spa day, ha, ha!:o:biggrin: Tio

[Edited on 11-19-2011 by tiotomasbcs]

Cypress - 11-19-2011 at 01:29 PM

shari, Thanks. Your fishing reports are always good. :yes:

woody with a view - 11-19-2011 at 06:00 PM

that Paul dude is usually a fish whisperer, 'specially with that facial hair! look out below!:light:

Pacifico - 11-19-2011 at 08:51 PM

I need to get back down there!!!

shari - 11-20-2011 at 07:37 AM

yeah you do Pacifico! YT are going off right now and within sight of Campo Sirena too!!! the tin boat brigade are lovin that and not a kayak fisherman to be seen. Yesterday they loaded up limits again in short order....guess that's where Juan is this morning!

bajadogs - 11-20-2011 at 03:08 PM

It was awesome meeting everyone. Especially you and Juan. Asuncion is even prettier than I imagined and I can't wait to go back. I had a real nice ride back north a bit and will hang here for a week. Thanks again for everything Shari!

BajaBlanca - 11-20-2011 at 03:49 PM

those are some nice fish !!! really nice !!

I did the facial with your amigos Shari and I thought Les would faint when he looked at me LOL !!! I hope I look 10 years younger, I sure could use the help ...

woody with a view - 11-20-2011 at 04:42 PM

no Blanca, you don't need nuthing. you are stunning, just like all of the Nomadic womens.......

here's our buddy Pablito

woody with a view - 11-20-2011 at 06:19 PM

calling the tuna up from the deep!:lol:

rsz_1100_5421.jpg - 23kB

bajafam - 11-20-2011 at 08:48 PM

December can't get here soon enough!! We miss you and all of our friends and family there and the swimming and the fishing and the fun and the spa days and wine Wednesday and the food and Matilda and the beach and the beer and the SUNSET PARTIES! sigh. see you soon!!

Ateo - 11-20-2011 at 09:04 PM

Much better than the fishing report here in San Diego!

shari - 11-21-2011 at 09:18 AM

so on Juan's day off after a week of abalone evaluation for the coop, Juan and Juan Carlos slipped out to Los Chorros to get in on some of those 30lb plus fish....woo hooo..Juan Carlos has been working vigilancia this season so he was happy to get some YT fishing in!

Mulegena - 11-21-2011 at 09:39 AM

Wow, that's some fishing goin' on!

Its been fun to see the guys around their campfire at night.
Seems they had another great time in Asuncion.

...and its good to see the photo of Juan Carlos having a day off and doing well.
Glad he's feeling better and has been assigned to vigilancia this season-- good guy!

bigboy - 11-21-2011 at 01:06 PM

What make of boat and what is the length of surfdoc's boat. Looks like an interesting ride.

BajaRat - 11-21-2011 at 01:49 PM

Surfdocs boat is somthing special. He's done quite a bit of custom upgrades to that ol tender.
Glad to see you are all havin so much fun. Keep up the good work for all of us missin out. Now whats this about Juan havin crabs:O

bajabass - 11-21-2011 at 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bigboy
What make of boat and what is the length of surfdoc's boat. Looks like an interesting ride.

Imagine a really big guy, even though he seems to be slimming down, in a mini-panga!! :o Just kidding Stan, you've turned that into a very nice little skiff!!!

shari - 11-21-2011 at 07:39 PM

the cool think is he can launch & retreive it easily by himself!

Today was a very strange weather day...we got 2 rain squals then it got windy in the afternoon...but that didnt stop Juan & Juan Carlos from loading up on nice size yellowtail again today

getting kinda bored with yellowtail these days so this is what we're havin for dinner tonight...these critters get in the lobster traps and the coop doesnt sell them so we get to eat em!

mulegemichael - 11-21-2011 at 08:18 PM

yummy, yummy.....shari, we're bringing a wonderful crabcake mix with us so hang on to some of those guys....see ya tomorrow!

shari - 11-21-2011 at 08:36 PM

I'm way ahead of ya...they're already in your fridge darling!

acadist - 11-21-2011 at 08:40 PM

Wasn't really planning on getting a panga....but the fishing looks awesome! If I decide to is there someone that would take us, kids and all?

woody with a view - 11-22-2011 at 06:42 AM

ask for the Juan and Juan Carlos combo..... pretty much unbeatable!

shari - 11-22-2011 at 08:14 AM

acadist...you betcha...only problem is kids need a fishing license too...but they sure would love hangin with the sealions at the island...it's close and super exciting for all....Juan & Juan Carlos are fishing yellowtail for the coop when there arent any clients here! good thing for keeping an eye on where the fish are.

Udo - 11-22-2011 at 08:18 AM

Shari,
How does December 27, 28 look for the rock room for us?

shari - 11-22-2011 at 08:33 AM

it will be a madhouse cause sirenita's wedding is on the 29th!!!!

shari - 11-22-2011 at 12:58 PM

Juan & Juan Carlos got 220 KILOS of yellowtail in 2 hours this morning...woo hooo...they just keep getting bigger.

acadist - 11-22-2011 at 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
acadist...you betcha...only problem is kids need a fishing license too...but they sure would love hangin with the sealions at the island...it's close and super exciting for all....Juan & Juan Carlos are fishing yellowtail for the coop when there arent any clients here! good thing for keeping an eye on where the fish are.

No worries! Can I get them day licences from you? I already have mine.

shari - 11-23-2011 at 10:54 AM

sure can...see ya soon...hope the bite holds on for ya.
And now for today's ad nauseum fishing pic from this morning...mulegemichael and his lovely bride Roz arrived yesterday..partied last night at Nan&;D's place singing along around the piano....then this morning had their limits after less than 2 hours of fishing with Juan..... and as usual Roz brought in the biggest fish!

Nan&D - 11-23-2011 at 11:37 AM

One more from the tinboat brigade. D and B out for and hour and a half this morning.

IMG_3120.JPG - 41kB

mulegemichael - 11-23-2011 at 12:27 PM

ya know, we all roll our eyes after awhile from all shari's fish stories but we had a real reality check this morning fishing with her hubby juan....our limit of yellowtail in just about an hour to 40#...busting the surface for as far as we could see; acres and acres and ACRES of yellowtail feeding on sardines!....if yer anywhere in the area and love to have your arms pulled out of the sockets you need to get here now!...what an experience!

woody with a view - 11-23-2011 at 02:39 PM

good for all you lucky long-armed folks! wish we were closer....

baitcast - 11-23-2011 at 04:40 PM

:biggrin: Been in on a few of those pile-ups over the years,the best of times,something you might try when they are really going is a little top water,pitch a jig out there blue/white is always good,start cranking the minute it hits "fast"rod at 10 o-o'clock:lol:be prepared to have the rod snatched out of your hands!!!!
They must be really hot for this to work but it sounds about right now!!!
Rob

[Edited on 11-23-2011 by baitcast]

acadist - 11-23-2011 at 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mulegemichael
ya know, we all roll our eyes after awhile from all shari's fish stories but we had a real reality check this morning fishing with her hubby juan....our limit of yellowtail in just about an hour to 40#...busting the surface for as far as we could see; acres and acres and ACRES of yellowtail feeding on sardines!....if yer anywhere in the area and love to have your arms pulled out of the sockets you need to get here now!...what an experience!

Just a few more days.................:tumble:

woody with a view - 11-23-2011 at 08:02 PM

stretch some fish lips for the less fortunate among us.....:light:

mulegemichael - 11-23-2011 at 09:19 PM

we be stretchin' them again manana!

acadist - 11-24-2011 at 03:54 AM

Monday or Tuesday..............

shari - 11-24-2011 at 08:58 AM

here's another one to roll your eyes at Michael :rolleyes:

and just so Stanibuns doesnt feel left out....

mulegemichael - 11-24-2011 at 09:18 AM

i emailed all my mulegenion amigos and told them they're making a mistake if they don't get their burros over here right now...think a lot of them are thinking "turkey and football" right now tho.

BajaGringo - 11-24-2011 at 10:01 AM

Cristina and I are really looking forward to spend a few days down there after New Year's.

Can hardly wait!

shari - 11-24-2011 at 07:28 PM

there are some biga$$ yellowtail with your name on them ron! sure look forward to your visit.

jakecard - 11-24-2011 at 07:44 PM

Fishing retard here.

What accounts for the increase in size of yellowtail caught off Asuncion now as compared to two months ago, or even a month ago?

Jake

Hook - 11-24-2011 at 07:50 PM

No stereoid testing. The Yellowtail Workers Union has blocked it so far.

mulegemichael - 11-24-2011 at 09:50 PM

as dk would say, global warming!!

Roberto - 11-24-2011 at 10:21 PM

Quote:
Juan & Juan Carlos got 220 KILOS of yellowtail in 2 hours this morning...woo hooo...they just keep getting bigger.

Just how big? 220 Kg is 485 lbs? Penomenal? How many fish for many people?

[Edited on 11-25-2011 by Roberto]

baitcast - 11-25-2011 at 11:30 AM

I've been frothing at the mouth since reading M-Michael,s account of "Acres,Acres,and Acres of big yellows busting bait and to make things worse woke up last nite only to start thinking about those damn fish again,What to do?? could just jump in the car and make it down do my thing:lol:

When I get home just plead insanity,what do you think?
Rob

shari - 11-25-2011 at 11:36 AM

you probably know the old mexican saying that goes something like...it's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission...:tumble:

juan just got in with more 35 pounders...I'll wont post the picture cause people will just roll their eyes:o

Cypress - 11-25-2011 at 12:35 PM

shari, Come on! Let us see 'em.;D

shari - 11-25-2011 at 12:38 PM

nope

Cypress - 11-25-2011 at 12:43 PM

Nope? OK! :biggrin:

mulegemichael - 11-25-2011 at 02:20 PM

ok shari...PURTY PLEEZE!!!!

shari - 11-25-2011 at 07:47 PM

not a chance...I aint givin you no more eye rolling material!

acadist - 11-26-2011 at 07:14 AM

I will just have to see for myself lol

Quote:
not a chance...I aint givin you no more eye rolling material!

shari - 11-26-2011 at 07:34 AM

by the way, that 220 kilos they got...20 fish...was for the fishing cooperativa here that supports the entire village. Juan is a long standing member of the coop and is his primary occupation. We could never survive on the meagre tourism income.

BajaGringo - 11-26-2011 at 08:21 AM

Quote:
by the way, that 220 kilos they got...20 fish...was for the fishing cooperativa here that supports the entire village. Juan is a long standing member of the coop and is his primary occupation. We could never survive on the meagre tourism income.

Thanks for sharing that Shari - many here have no clue and drum up ideas of somehow you guys are living off the tourism or even getting rich from it. Commercial fishing is the lifeblood of the Baja coastline communities and why we are glad to see the federal government taking a bigger role in helping to regulate it. We all benefit...

shari - 11-26-2011 at 08:41 AM

yes...most people's perceptions are nowhere near the reality. Juan had exactly one charter in the last couple weeks. Thank goodness, he still has a day job with the coop and gets to fish for yellowtail to feed the masses. Tourism is down down down.

Skipjack Joe - 11-26-2011 at 08:59 AM

Quote:

Juan had exactly one charter in the last couple weeks.

Wow, that does surprise me. We'll have to do something about that. Hope the yellowtail hang out until Christmas.

baitcast - 11-26-2011 at 09:54 AM

Igor if you mean to make a trip PLZ take a bunch of pics.
Rob

jakecard - 11-26-2011 at 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by jakecard
Fishing retard here.

What accounts for the increase in size of yellowtail caught off Asuncion now as compared to two months ago, or even a month ago?

Jake

:?: Anyone?

Jake

baitcast - 11-26-2011 at 11:18 AM

Any number of factors can cause this,but the main ones are water temp,location,bait availability and timning.

Just thought of one more,migration patterns.
Rob

[Edited on 11-26-2011 by baitcast]

woody with a view - 11-26-2011 at 11:28 AM

i have a small window before the next job starts and cuts off ALL baja time until late summer.... looking at days b4 Xmas and right after new year.... keep the brutes in close Shari!

wessongroup - 11-26-2011 at 11:42 AM

Best of luck to all.... on all ..... even Juan on the "rock pile" ... :):)

BajaRat - 11-26-2011 at 04:12 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Fishing retard here.

Jake

:?: Anyone?

Jake

Kinda the same reason that size increases after thanksgiving dinner:lol:

mulegemichael - 11-26-2011 at 07:47 PM

bajarat is right....these fish are putting on weight even as we speak...all they are doing right now is EATING, bulking up for the spring spawn...it's the same with absolutely any fish...it is incredible just how fast they can gain weight...and there was SO MUCH bait when we were there it's not like these guys have to really look hard to find it.