BajaNomad

Japanese B1K Moto Team

Ken Cooke - 11-24-2011 at 09:43 AM

Yesterday, (on 11/23) I met this great group of Motocross racers in El Sauzal at the Pemex Station along Hwy 1. They had quite an elaborate setup with all of the team members riding in one of two support vehicles and with motorcycles in the back of their van. Too bad I didn't take photos, but their motorcoach was 1st class!

I showed them the damage to my tires and explained that my Wife and I had gone rock crawling in the Jeep. Their team did not win, but they appeared to have a good time running the Baja 1000.

[Edited on 11-24-2011 by Ken Cooke]

ncampion - 11-24-2011 at 10:07 AM

I remember years ago I was working a SCORE checkpoint for the 1000 where we had to stuff check stubs into the vehicle's stub container. The racers are required to come to a complete stop at the check. A Japanese rider on a tall XR650 comes riding up to the check, stops and can't touch the gournd and the bike falls over! We gave him his check stub, picked up his bike, got it re-started and sent him on his way. I guess he was about 5'3" or so and wondered how he was going to make it all the way! Some great times at the 1000.

David K - 11-24-2011 at 10:08 AM

Looking forward to your Pole Line Road trip report Ken... Happy Thanksgiving!

Ken Cooke - 11-24-2011 at 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K

Muchas Gracias, amigo. Voy a escribir un reportaje por el foro mas tarde...:yes:

Ken Cooke - 11-24-2011 at 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ncampion
I remember years ago I was working a SCORE checkpoint for the 1000 where we had to stuff check stubs into the vehicle's stub container. The racers are required to come to a complete stop at the check. A Japanese rider on a tall XR650 comes riding up to the check, stops and can't touch the gournd and the bike falls over! We gave him his check stub, picked up his bike, got it re-started and sent him on his way. I guess he was about 5'3" or so and wondered how he was going to make it all the way! Some great times at the 1000.

That must have been a funny incident.:yes: These motocross riders all stood about 6'0 ft. - eye to eye with me, and were very thin. They did not have a chance to tell me what happened on their ride, but I plan to email them once they return to Japan so they can give me an assessment of their run.

David K - 11-24-2011 at 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Cooke
Quote:
Originally posted by David K

Muchas Gracias, amigo. Voy a escribir un reportaje por el foro mas tarde...:yes:

Va ser mirando hacia adelante para leerlo!

:light:

Honda 450x vs. Suzuki 450x

Ken Cooke - 11-30-2011 at 07:13 PM

I think it was the Honda team. I'll message them so they can see the pictures I took in Baja. They laughed when they told me they didn't do very good. Real nice guys.