BajaNomad

Baja Maps on YOUR walls?

David K - 11-25-2011 at 04:15 PM

One thing people with 'Baja Fever' seem to have in common is one or more Baja maps on their walls!

When you step into my house, there is no confusion as to what is big in my life!

My living room:

In addition, I have the satellite posters from SatPrints.com for San Felipe and Bahia de los Angeles.

My dining room:

My hall:

My garage:

My office:

Roads traveled with Elizabeth (2005+)...

The Jesuit El Camino Real:

On AAA and Almanac folding maps:

On 2003 Baja Almanac maps:

Up Close...

Solid blue is parts you can see from space or on the ground and dashed blue is the approx. route, but cannot pick out from space images.

So, you see I am pretty deep into Baja and old California history, on the peninsula. It is my 'drug'... Baja addiction!

TecateRay - 11-25-2011 at 04:36 PM

Mine is relegated to the garage, along with lots of Baja race photos & posters.;D

David K - 11-25-2011 at 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TecateRay
Mine is relegated to the garage, along with lots of Baja race photos & posters.;D

I had more maps and space image posters, but removed them in order to not seem too insane! Baja Angel does not mind... We also have two Hugo Lopez (El Rosario's artist) paintings and Choral Pepper's painting on display.

Not on My Walls

Gypsy Jan - 11-25-2011 at 05:05 PM

Sadly, only the Guija Roja guide to Tijuana in my glove compartment.

woody with a view - 11-25-2011 at 05:20 PM

Quote:

but removed them in order to not seem too insane

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:good luck with that!:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

i got the large mcmahon map.

bajaguy - 11-25-2011 at 05:21 PM

Saves on paint :lol:

Oddjob - 11-25-2011 at 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TecateRay

Won't your wife let you put them in the house? Who wears the pants in your family?

rubencastillo - 11-25-2011 at 07:08 PM

Lucky you David, I can do just about anything in are house,,,,but hang my map's or off road map's on the walls..to nice to put them in the garage..:)

dizzyspots - 11-25-2011 at 10:15 PM

David...good source for Baja wall map?

Skipjack Joe - 11-25-2011 at 11:10 PM

http://www.discoverbaja.com/pdf/2012-Gift-Guide.pdf

There are many choices here.

acadist - 11-26-2011 at 07:09 AM

The only one my wife would allow me to hang 'in' the house is an abolone relief map in the dining room. But she has allowed me to decorate the kitchen with fish:yes: I would show a pic but I am in LA right now on my way to Baja:bounce::bounce::bounce:

mcfez - 11-26-2011 at 07:19 AM

Why waste money on buying these maps?
Why waste good wall space for these maps?

Just dial in DavidK's phone number and request the map be sent to your Android :P

ncampion - 11-26-2011 at 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K

So, you see I am pretty deep into Baja and old California history, on the peninsula. It is my 'drug'... Baja addiction!

David, I think you may need professional help!!!

Actually, I'm envious......

sancho - 11-26-2011 at 01:42 PM

What? No original Hernan Cortez map of La Paz
Bay circa 1535? Remember the magazine Baja Explorer
published maybe 10 mags early 90"s?
Loved those

Bob H - 11-26-2011 at 03:04 PM

Wow, David, if you have that many maps posted on your walls, I wonder how many more maps you have that you do not have room for posting on your walls. WOW! What is the criteria for selecting which maps get posted?

Yes, you have a Baja addiction, for sure.

You still need to get with Huel Howser for a Baja California television series!!!

"That's AMAZING"!!

Mine "disappeared"

Ken Cooke - 11-26-2011 at 05:52 PM

Go figure, but I had a "tasteful" Baja tile that was hand-painted that seemed to have disappeared. No telling where it is.:rolleyes:

David K - 11-27-2011 at 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
http://www.discoverbaja.com/pdf/2012-Gift-Guide.pdf

There are many choices here.

Yes indeed... thanks Igor... I am not sure where else you will find the Mike McMahan map any more... Discover Baja has them, and when they are gone... that's it! (until collectors like me sell ours)

McMahan
Baja Wall Map
The legendary Mike McMahan’s Baja peninsula map
was updated by his daughter, Ginger McMahan Potter,
before her death in 1998. We have for sale some of the
last copies of this colorful map that is sure to become a
collector’s item.
On Dupont Tyvek 34” X 58”, $33.50
Poster 21” X 30”, $16.45

David K - 11-27-2011 at 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob H
Wow, David, if you have that many maps posted on your walls, I wonder how many more maps you have that you do not have room for posting on your walls. WOW! What is the criteria for selecting which maps get posted?

Yes, you have a Baja addiction, for sure.

You still need to get with Huel Howser for a Baja California television series!!!

"That's AMAZING"!!

Yes indeed... I have more wall maps and some are laminated. I had more of them displayed until about a year ago... then had to make a change for refreshment... Doing a show with Huell could be fun... I have posted close up of my maps here on Nomad (Historic Interests forum), plus I would be happy to take requests... I have maps that date back to 1701 either on line or in person. The big 1905 miners map of northern Baja and the 1941 automobile route map of the peninsula are some favorites of mine!

honda tom - 11-27-2011 at 12:37 AM

It seems you need a trip through Calamuje. March of 2012 I have a trip of Side by sides and pre-runner trucks going through.... will help fill in your map. Toyota approved 3 years ago.

David K - 11-27-2011 at 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by honda tom
It seems you need a trip through Calamuje. March of 2012 I have a trip of Side by sides and pre-runner trucks going through.... will help fill in your map. Toyota approved 3 years ago.

Sure do... it was 10 years ago that I last enjoyed splashing through Calamajue Canyon and visited the mission ruins there... Jan. 2, 2002. :light:

Thanks!

one of my favs

capt. mike - 11-27-2011 at 09:30 AM

excepting my own 6' x 7' gigante baja map.

You guys in San Felipe know where this one is....

IMG_0232 (Small).JPG - 38kB

Gringo's Guide

tripledigitken - 11-27-2011 at 09:52 AM

Remember these, often on restaurant walls up and down Baja in the 1980's? They were the laminated versions of a folding map with a ton of information printed on the back side. One of my prized Baja resources.

David K - 11-27-2011 at 10:01 AM

That is nice Ken... one that I never picked up, but looked at it a lot after a meal or when shopping in Baja!

tripledigitken - 11-27-2011 at 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
...but looked at it a lot after a meal or when shopping in Baja!

I think I got it at El Palomar (Santo Tomas) in the store, right next to the stuffed mariachi frogs! Wished I had picked a few of those up too.:lol:

David K - 11-27-2011 at 12:23 PM

That curio store is classic! Their calendars with the friars and alter boys sampling the Santo Tomas wine were great, too.

Udo - 11-27-2011 at 12:52 PM

Here is our map on the small fridge:

Killer Mappage!

El Vergel - 11-27-2011 at 01:11 PM

What a collection! My, what these walls (with maps) would say if they could tell a story!

sancho - 11-27-2011 at 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike

I'm guessing El Nido, not too confident though

David K - 11-27-2011 at 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by El Vergel
What a collection! My, what these walls (with maps) would say if they could tell a story!

They do tell a story... you just need me to translate! :light:

nope...

capt. mike - 11-27-2011 at 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sancho
Quote:

I'm guessing El Nido, not too confident though

try again.

sancho - 11-28-2011 at 11:21 AM

Quote:
Quote:
is....

try again.

Has to be somewhere notable, Cortez Motel?
Baja Mar? Don't think the Miramar would have
such a thing. El Dorado Ranch? I punt...

elgatoloco - 11-28-2011 at 11:27 AM

Quote:

El Cortez, San Filippy :dudette:

capt. mike - 11-28-2011 at 02:10 PM

and Mateo wins the cigar!
inside the bar at the Cortez, a beautiful stained glass window.

CortezBlue - 11-28-2011 at 06:17 PM

Quote:

Si
What do I win??

A free beer from Juan at the Bare Foot Beach Bar??

capt. mike - 11-29-2011 at 03:39 PM

sure. just go ask him for one.... hahahaha...:lol::lol::lol::lol:

David K - 10-14-2016 at 04:32 PM

How about new Nomads since this thread was running:
Any Baja Maps on your walls?
If not, why not?!! LOL

BeemerDan - 10-14-2016 at 06:23 PM

Not Baja but just dreams

BigBearRider - 10-14-2016 at 06:25 PM

I have the Ruta de Vino map on my office wall. It's got a bunch of dive sites on it. If I had learned how to post pics, I'd show you.

BajaBlanca - 10-14-2016 at 07:44 PM

great thread - we have a big version of the one Udo has on one wall -but lots of arts and crafts from almost every state in Mexico is all over the house.

PaulW - 10-14-2016 at 08:14 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
One thing people with 'Baja Fever' seem to have in common is one or more Baja maps on their walls!

When you step into my house, there is no confusion as to what is big in my life!
. . . .

========
Well done David.
I should arrange for a visit to take in the whole thing in real life.
I have extensive maps , but alas they reside under a couple of beds. - HA
Take it to the next level and have a wrap to place on your Tacoma. There should be enough room for 4 maps, one on each quarter panel for your favorite places.
For inspiration look at Ramsey's (RIP) personal van with his favorite places.
(More views on his web site).

Ramsey's van.jpg - 134kB

basautter - 10-15-2016 at 06:20 AM

Nice décor! I have three maps hanging in my house, and my garage is heavily populated with off-road stickers. Not everyone gets it, but who cares! :bounce::bounce:

David K - 10-15-2016 at 09:54 AM

At the Off Road Expo, 2008:

BigBearRider - 11-1-2016 at 04:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BigBearRider  
I have the Ruta de Vino map on my office wall. It's got a bunch of dive sites on it. If I had learned how to post pics, I'd show you.

For clarification, it is a full Baja map. It shows the Valle de Guadalupe wine region at the top, in particular detail. It also appears co-sponsored by Almar dive shop in Ensenada, and has a bunch of dive sites marked all over.

It's about six feet long.

David K - 11-2-2016 at 02:03 PM

For clarification, it is a full Baja map. It shows the Valle de Guadalupe wine region at the top, in particular detail. It also appears co-sponsored by Almar dive shop in Ensenada, and has a bunch of dive sites marked all over.

It's about six feet long.

So it looks like this one? (from the beginning of this thread)

BigBearRider - 11-2-2016 at 02:13 PM

Interesting, but my map is different.

It is much narrower, about 20 inches wide. It has no photos, but it has little maps of eight towns, cities.

It is about $10 in Ensenada. There's a copy of it hanging at the town square in San Ignacio.

Maybe I should learn to post pics

[Edited on 11-2-2016 by BigBearRider]

David K - 11-2-2016 at 03:42 PM

I have the steps to posting photos detailed in the top post on the Nomad photo forum. You can u2u me any questions.

HOW TO POST IMAGES ON NOMAD

David K - 11-3-2016 at 09:43 AM

There are many photo hosting sites, Photobucket.com is one used by many here, it is free for basic membership and very cheap for advanced.

1) Create an album for your trip or subject on Photobucket.

2) Click Upload (top center) to transfer photos from your PC folder to your Photobucket album.

3) Click on the gear symbol on the right corner of the box you see on the screen...

4) Select 800 (full size) or 640 (large size) for Nomad posting...

100x75 is the Avatar size, fyi.

5) Click SAVE!

6) Select photos you want to share on Nomad (or other forums) by pressing the Choose Photos & Videos button (or for the entire folder of photos, click Choose Folder).

Once done with uploading photos, make your post here on Baja Nomad and add photos using the IMG link from the choices of links for each photo in your album. Copy and paste that link in your Nomad thread, double spacing between links. Add a caption to the photo if desired... Click Preview Post to check your post... if okay, click Post Reply.