BajaNomad

Denver to Asuncion

acadist - 11-26-2011 at 08:01 AM

Part 1: Denver to LA
Left unseasonabally warm Denver Thanksgiving at 11 pm. It was 70 during the day and 52 driving until I began to get in the Rockies. Passing through Vail I contemplated stopping at JC Penny's for black Friday when I saw only 10 cars in the parking lot but continued to press on. A little while later at about 1:30-2:00 I see red lights in the mirror:mad: The cop that looks like he just got out of high school comes up and asks me how fast I was going, I am not going to tell him.... having just toggling the map so he could not see my max speed, so I said I am not sure. He asked me what the speed limit was there and I said '65 or 75'. He proceeded to tell me limit from Eagle to DIA is 65 with some stretches of 55 and I was doing 80. He takes my info and comes back a minute later and begins lecturing me to which all I really here is blah, blah, blah while I am thinking that he cannot be half my age which would put him just out of college. The one thing I did hear was that when he first saw me the limit was 65 but where we are now it is 75 (so really I am only 5 mph over the limit). He then proceeds to give me a warning and lets me go. In CO a warning is documented by the officer so I turn on the cruise control and take it easy the rest of the way knowing there is no second warning tonight. Pretty uneventful rest of the night, a couple of rest stop power naps and make decent time. The people driving from Vegas to LA are idiots!!! At the agricultural stop I answered the usual questionabout fruits and vegetables with no and the guy looks in my truck and asks if I have firewood, to which I reply yes, we are going camping in Baja. He discusses this with his coworkers and I ask if he wants me to oull over to let the other cars through to which his response was 'they can wait'! He asks if it is ok for him to grab it and put it on his table and I tell him there is wasy more than will fit on the table, how about if I get out of the way because I would not want to be stuck in that line. They get me over to the side and we empty 4 days worth of nice split logs from my truck. Oh well! Stop in Barstow to get CA gasoline sticker shock and an In-N-Out burger for me and the boys and make it to Claremont about 4:30. A little last minute shopping and rest today and on to Asuncion tomorrow!

sd - 11-26-2011 at 08:22 AM

Dave,

That agricultural stop serves a purpose, however the employees seem to almost enjoy at times to see how far they can get the traffic backed up. I have seen 5 plus mile backups on busy days. Normally on California plated cars they will just wave us through. Try not to follow motor homes or trailer boats as they normally stop and take a bit of time looking and asking questions.

Have a great trip!

Scot

bajadock - 11-26-2011 at 09:03 AM

acadist,
Did the drive from Denver to Ensenada 4 times 2006-07 during my move here. Glad not to see any snow in your report.

11PM start of your trip? Like to avoid traffic?

Hope to see some photos of your Baja adventures.

acadist - 11-26-2011 at 11:27 PM

I too am happy for the lack of snow, been there done that! i do the drive a couple of times a year, the 11 pm start time coincided more with my nap after Thanksgiving dinner than anything else. I usually leave from work somewhere between 10 am to 2 pm, without the turkey dinner I probably would have left Wednesday afternoon. When I lived in CA I was always wved through, now with CO plates I am always stopped but this is the first time I was delayed, just thought a nice fire on the beach sounded like fun:cool:

Quote:
Originally posted by bajadock
acadist,
Did the drive from Denver to Ensenada 4 times 2006-07 during my move here. Glad not to see any snow in your report.

11PM start of your trip? Like to avoid traffic?

Hope to see some photos of your Baja adventures.

Dave,

That agricultural stop serves a purpose, however the employees seem to almost enjoy at times to see how far they can get the traffic backed up. I have seen 5 plus mile backups on busy days. Normally on California plated cars they will just wave us through. Try not to follow motor homes or trailer boats as they normally stop and take a bit of time looking and asking questions.

Have a great trip!

Scot

acadist - 11-28-2011 at 09:48 PM

Step 2: Claremont to Asuncion
Crossed in TJ right at daybreak, easy not any traffic. Made good time with the road mostly in good shape. North of Catavina the wind really started to blow, even had to shift some sleeping bags to the cab rather than risk them blowing off. There were a couple of sections offside torn up besides the JesusMaria stretch, just be careful but nothing out of the ordinary. The continual work to make the road wider is well worth the inconvenience it causes. The one thing I noticed between Catavina and JesusMaria are there many places that small vados that run under the road are eroding the road edges affecting the width,can be hairy with a truck coming the other way. Some of the small bridges are being reinforced and most are marked with half tires painted white. Rest of the ride was calm except the road to Bahai Tortuga has many potholes and sand berms on the road. Also had to stop for the cow that just wanted to hang out, kids thought that was fun. Got to asuncion a little later than I wanted and it was still windy, but overall a good ride. Noticed today I blew out a brake light, must have been the potholes, but no worries.......it's Baja time!

shari - 11-28-2011 at 09:55 PM

glad you are finally here and settled into the camp...your boys are having a blast...cant wait till they get to pull on some big fish!

a huge gracias for bringing down the emergency wifi stuff and goodies!

vgabndo - 11-28-2011 at 10:31 PM

If customs had got a look at your fire wood I think you'd have been out of luck there too. I was almost turned around for 6 sheets of 3/4 plywood that were un-used but had been weathered outdoors. NO USED WOOD. Bugs! Cost me a chunk of change that trip, but it averaged out in the end.:lol:

He might have just been a hard case, and it could also have been because at that hour of the AM the office appeared to be closed. He happily collected Mexico's import duty and with a bonus!

I am sooooo envious of you!!!!

[Edited on 11-29-2011 by vgabndo]

SiReNiTa - 11-29-2011 at 07:15 AM

It was great to get to meet you and your boys! I'm sorry I couldn't spend more time having fun with you guys, but I know you'll enjoy your time here and have loads of fun!!!!

Cheers!