BajaNomad

San Clemente to Pescadero

dtutko1 - 11-27-2011 at 10:01 AM

Left San Clemente 7am 11/25
Crossed at TJ. NOTE if you need FMM stamped get in far right lane.
Got pesos at border. 13.3/$
Magna gas @ 9.33 p/liter..... @ 13.3 = Approx $2.65/gal
Lite inspection @ border. Very Friendly agent
Arrived El Rosario 1.30 pm
Stayed at the Baja Cactus 380 p/nite @13.3 = Approx $29
Rm 104 very nice, in quiet corner ground floor, 102,103,105 in same area. Internet did not work in the room, had to go to the laundry rm. Evening shower was not hot. hot in am.
2 meals at Mama Espinosas, both disapointing. Had Chile Rellenos con langosta. Peppers were not cooked enough for my tastes, served very crispy had to cut w/knife. Eggs Rancheros for breakfast with stale/hard tortillas, couldn't cut w/a knife.
El Rosario 7.15 am to Mulege 3pm
Light traffic, short to no inspections at stop points.
Staying at Cuesta Real 400 p/nite approx $30
Dinner at Rays. Had the Humbolt Calamari steak served along w/squash soup, dinner salad, and flan. yum! 500 p/tip Less than $38
Had a Pompano siteing sunday am. Hope to visit later.
Breakfast here at Cuesta Real. Sandras Eggs Ranchos much much better.
Off to spend the day w/friends @ Bahia Coyote. More to follow.

woody with a view - 11-27-2011 at 10:05 AM

next time at Mama's (if there ever is a next time!) get the MexiCombo. it's hard to screw up a national dish.:lol::lol::lol:

David K - 11-27-2011 at 10:12 AM

Drive to the other side of town and eat at Ed's 'Baja's Best' Bar & Restaurant for breakfast and dinner. Hugo's Tacos Mision is on the left 2/3 through town if you would like a super burrito or stuffed baked potato (lunch or dinner).

tiotomasbcs - 11-27-2011 at 11:46 AM

Amigo, glad your travels have been safe! Construction sites have probably improved. Many people have posted about Mama's family serving up less than tasty dishes; you know now, verdad?!:no::no: Say Hi to Airstream Willy for all of us. He came to Baja ayear ago and has adapted very well. I believe he's working on a Baja Victoria's Secret photo play?!:yes: See you down south in a few days. By the way, Give Mike & DonKay & BajaCalifornian a big Hola. Tio

wessongroup - 11-27-2011 at 01:53 PM

Great trip report... short and concise ... covered the points just fine..

dtutko1 - 12-6-2011 at 07:03 AM

Nice visit w/friends in Coyote, breakfast at Geckos, ok, then on to Loreto. Stayed at the La Damiana inn. $50 us. Historic bldg. A block from malacon. Comfortable inn w/common kitchen. Happy hour at Auggies to try and find Mike Younghusband. No Mike, but 1/2 priced drinks w/free gringo tacos. 90p for 4 drinks and as many tacos in a no smoking bar?. Next day to El Pescadero, 6 hours, no problems in Constitution, little traffic. Militar check point north of La Paz is discontinued. Temps have been low 80/s and nites 60 F. Now to get out fishing.

tiotomasbcs - 12-6-2011 at 07:28 AM

Mike and DonKay! Give us a Heads Up! DTutko and I would love to see a slide show of your complete trip.:tumble: It was a fun week here and Don was a great host. Baja Californian was prolly in San Javier. Tio

Russ - 12-6-2011 at 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
next time at Mama's (if there ever is a next time!) get the MexiCombo. it's hard to screw up a national dish.:lol::lol::lol:

That's what I thought too but they try hard and did screw it up supremely. Only eat half and when I went to pay she asked if I liked the meal and I told her it was very bad. She shrugged and I paid.
The eracherra was OK a couple of years ago though. Some one really needs to tel them to get a cook!

Fernweh - 12-6-2011 at 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Drive to the other side of town and eat at Ed's 'Baja's Best' Bar & Restaurant for breakfast and dinner. Hugo's Tacos Mision is on the left 2/3 through town if you would like a super burrito or stuffed baked potato (lunch or dinner).

I have to second this.

And a nice plug for Ed's....

Ed got up from his couch, when we rolled in late around 9PM, and fixed us a very tasty dinner by himself.
We stayed that night in his Presidential Suite, a five star resort compared to the dumpy lower rooms at the cactus.
Check out his very nice, well kept up back yard.

Promised myself never to eat at mama's again, but will visit Ed's for sure, even just for a cup of coffee.

Karl