BajaNomad

Baja Trip 2011

McRV6A - 11-28-2011 at 05:55 PM

Hello My Friend Bob & I just returned from a 5 day trip to Baja. We flew from Oxnard CA, to Loreto, Bahia Asuncion, Alfonsinas, San Felipe, Calexico, and back home to Oxnard CA
for the story with Pictures see website below.
Don

http://www.rvflyingstories.com/2011%20Baja%20Trip.htm

sanquintinsince73 - 11-28-2011 at 06:06 PM

Nice pics....cool website too.

DENNIS - 11-28-2011 at 06:12 PM

Very cool how much you can see in five days....with a plane. Thanks.

By the way.....has anyone ever figuered out how many miles you get to a gallon?

McRV6A - 11-28-2011 at 07:07 PM

Hi Dennis Yes someone has figured out that an RV6A Gets about 20 to 30 miles to the gallon depending on the wind. It is much more economical than the regular certified airplanes. P.S. it is an homebuilt expirmintal kit airplane from Vansaircraft.com

Don

David K - 11-28-2011 at 07:26 PM

That was a treat! Most of the pilot trip reports are on Baja Bush Pilots and they don't let us land lovers see their web site without paying!

The Asuncion runway comes into view about Min. 2:40 after you circle around... seems like it is several thousad feet long as you had to taxi a ways to tie down area.

Very cool that you connected with Shari and her daughter and grand son! We stayed with Shari back in '07...

DENNIS - 11-28-2011 at 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by McRV6A
Hi Dennis Yes someone has figured out that an RV6A Gets about 20 to 30 miles to the gallon depending on the wind. It is much more economical than the regular certified airplanes. P.S. it is an homebuilt expirmintal kit airplane from Vansaircraft.com

Don

Thanks, Don. For me, it's trivia, but I appreciate the info.
30 MPG.....sounds pretty good.

capt. mike - 11-29-2011 at 09:34 AM

the RV series from Van's are the most popular experimentals around.
that's good mileage Don.

i get only about 12-13 MPG at 180 MPH.
same as a large heavy ground pounding SUV.

which motor? IO-360 Lyc?

Baja trip

McRV6A - 11-29-2011 at 09:52 AM

Hi Guys
My RV has an 180 hp Lycoming actually an aero sport power from BC. Sorry about the long lead into landing and that long taxi back Boring.
Don

shari - 11-29-2011 at 10:23 AM

We sure look forward to your return...dont forget you are gonna show me how to roll that baby!!! We had so much fun with you both and that itty bitty plane that looks like a toy was soooo cute!

I love those convertible planes...reminds me of Snoopy!

that video made me a bit queasy though...with the prop changing directions and stopping etc...whew...nerve racking!
Here are you guys leaving Asuncion in your Barbie plane.

thanks for the trip report amigos!

Bob H - 11-29-2011 at 10:33 AM

This was a very neat trip report. What you guys saw in just five days is incredible for us who travel Baja by land only. Thanks for sharing.

Baja Trip

McRV6A - 11-29-2011 at 01:27 PM

Hi Sheri
Good to hear from you again Thanks for putting up those pictures The prop spinning backwards is just an optical illusion from the camera it really does not do that. & yes I can take you for an aerobatic ride (not legal without parachutes) but if you get sick just looking at the movie i don't know if it is a good idea? but did you ever get sick on all of those sail boats? we'll see?
Don

shari - 11-29-2011 at 01:38 PM

nahh Don...I only vomit if I drink too much Jimador!!! I love daring-do type rides and willing to go it without a chute...cant wait!

capt. mike - 11-29-2011 at 02:39 PM

"Most of the pilot trip reports are on Baja Bush Pilots and they don't let us land lovers see their web site without paying"

haha too bad amigo cause Don has better reports on BPI of longer trips way past baja south on mainland and more interesting.
that said.....those might be on his website if so enjoy the vicarious travel.

Shari - i've never rololed my comanche but a friend has rolled his. If he goes south i'll hook you up. He has a lot of baja hours.

shari - 11-29-2011 at 07:01 PM

cool Mike...yeah....hook me up!

McRV6A - 11-29-2011 at 07:42 PM

OK Shari
Your on for sure next time I get over there. rolls and whatever else?
Don

shari - 11-30-2011 at 10:53 AM

wooo hooo...cant wait....oh and by the way...it's real nice to see you posting on this board...look forward to your participation and reading about your other adventures too.

BajaBlanca - 1-21-2012 at 11:17 PM

amazing to read about your travels...thanks loads for sharing !!