BajaNomad

Papers, Please

DavidT - 11-29-2011 at 12:06 AM

Papers, Please

by John Brennan

I am a 58-year-old American male and former military officer who has had the opportunity to travel throughout the world. No, I never participated in any war and am happy I haven’t. I was a PAO or Public Affairs Officer, gallantly writing my way through enemy lines. I lived for a while in Panama and Japan, but experienced brief visits to many other countries. Some of these visits were on official business and others were for pleasure. After leaving the military, I began to take longer journeys on my own,; a month in Europe, three months in Central America, a month in Australia. As I child, I always dreamed of traveling the world and seeing new and exciting things; having the chance to befriend and learn from people of other cultures. I’ve been lucky enough to do that.

I consider myself a vigilant traveler, when on the road I keep my eyes open and really study what I see around me. When I walk, my head moves slowly to either side, my eyes like a camera lens, filming the people and places I see. My brain files away the images, recording and cataloging everything for possible later use. I pay particular attention to certain things. Things like how friendly or rude I’m treated at immigration and how overtly tough the visible police presence pretends to be. These things are a good indication of the collective personality of a country. A friendly face and a pleasant greeting at immigration always goes a long way with me. A stern, sour disposition does nothing but make an already anxious procedure even more unpleasant. And these days, unpleasant and uneasy is what I feel when re-entering my own country.

I live on the beach in northern Baja, Mexico, about two hours south of Ensenada. I have been here for three years and enjoy the peace and quiet I have found. Not only that, I also feel more free down here. A lot less rules and regulations, and a lot less stress. I know what you are going to say, "Mexico! drugs kidnappings and murders!," and you would be right. However, there is none of that where I reside. It is a tranquil, ocean setting where life is easy and the locals friendly. I know it may not work for everyone, but it works for me. Good quality food is available at prices far less than in the US. Truth be told, I no longer can afford to live on the beach in my native California. So, I live down here, but am close enough to the border to make frequent trips back to my homeland, which is something I have come to dread.

On a trip to Europe a few years back, I crossed from Germany into the Czech Republic in a rented car, heading for the capital city of Prague. I will never forget how friendly the guard was at the border. He was all smiles and happy to see me as I handed him my American passport. I remember looking at his eyes as he told me he was glad to see Americans coming to his formerly Communist country. I could tell he was sincere. He actually was honored to allow me the privilege to enter his homeland. As he handed my passport back, he told me to enjoy myself and wished me well. I drove off with a good feeling, glad I had made the decision to visit this fascinating country. A feeling I wish I felt coming into America, but I don’t.

I don’t need to be told that 9/11 changed everything, I’ve heard it a million times. I realize the world is a dangerous place and there are plenty of misguided zealots out there perfectly willing to blow themselves up in the name of some uncompromising religion or some far-out political cause. Holy war martyrs? Cultural heroes? Hardly. I would call them mentally ill dupes in desperate need of some self-analysis. But dangerous nuts have been around forever. And because of a few dangerous nuts, America has transformed itself into a rude, authoritarian police state, always eager to let you know, "We are in charge, and don‘t you forget it."

This attitude will only lead us down the road to perdition. And this attitude seems to be pervasive everywhere in America. It is not my imagination, I see it wherever I go. Men and women with something to prove to somebody. A surliness that borders on contempt. The weak misfits are now in charge, and they are quick to let you know it. Simple-minded tools of a system with a questionable agenda. From the lowly mall cop, and the muscle-bound street cop with the shaved head and tattoos, to the nasty Border Patrol agents in San Diego, scrutinizing me like I’m Osama Gonzalez with nothing but nefarious intentions, obviously guilty of something for wanting to enter into my own country. As an American citizen, I resent this. It is insulting and belittling, something I’m beginning to believe may have been planned all along. Many people tell me of similar treatment, so it is not just me. Foreign friends who have so eagerly visited me in the past, are now reluctant to do so because of the treatment they now are subjected to when entering the land of the free. I know all people in uniform aren’t like this, but if I said 95% of them are, I don’t think I would be far off. Since 9/11, those in uniform apparently now see themselves as heroes, different than the rest of we, "civilians." A rigid, military mentally has swept over this country like some ugly new fad. Between the intimidating, black N-zi-looking uniforms, the drug sniffing dogs at my feet and luggage, and the poker-faced thugs with machine guns, I’d swear I was in wartime Germany being asked for my papers by some mindless automaton.

Maybe 9/11 didn’t change things at all? Maybe this is what America has been all along, and I just never saw it? It has always projected a, "tough on crime" image, but it seems to be getting out of hand. Every day I read about incidents across the US where some cheap, wanna-be hero figure in uniform has overstepped the boundaries of his authority; tasering some 86-year-old grandmother, firing 38 rounds into some unarmed guy reaching for his wallet, or killing a drunk holding a garden hose water nozzle as he sits on the balcony of a friends apartment. Something has gone wrong. Treating people – American citizens – like we are the new enemy, and they – those in uniform – are the occupying army, here to keep us in line. Pay close attention to whenever some Podunk, one-horse town police force unveils a new addition to its anti-terrorist arsenal. That new tank or that military surplus, laser guided, 50 caliber machine gun, and all their other new high-tech toys, will most likely be used against you, the new perceived enemy, rather than some dark-skinned, turbaned terrorist.

America has elevated common policing to a well-managed, military operation. When the line between small town police and military becomes blurry, you had better beware. N-zi Germany was very thorough in creating such an environment. Everybody was in uniform. Fear and intimidation were the preferred tools of those in power. America may not be a true police state yet, but it certainly has become an over-policed country. Oh yeah, this is still a free place all right, as long as you do what your told. The thing I find most frightening about this new "persona" my country has adopted, is how quickly and easily it has been embraced by all those in positions of authority. I don’t care for it one bit, and am sad about what my homeland has become. I don’t pretend to be some enlightened creature able to see the future in some crystal ball, but we are headed down a dangerous path.

I am old enough to have seen the transformation first hand. I was in the military and served my country proudly and respected our leaders and those in uniform, like I was brainwashed to do. But what happened to the human touch? The friendly cop on the beat who knew everyone in town.? In high school, I recall having my beer poured out by some understanding, regular-guy cop who knew that young high school males liked to drink beer on Friday nights after a football game. It didn’t make me a criminal, nor did he treat me like one. He told me get home and stay out of trouble. Today I would probably be arrested and taken to jail. This country loves to arrest its own citizens. It loves to pepper spray them, shoot them with plastic bullets and tase them for the most minor infraction. "Quit resisting," has become the new mantra for every cheap nobody with a badge and uniform bent on beating the chit out of someone. It happens everyday in every small town across America. And that prevailing attitude begins from the very moment you enter the country.

All the rude, surly men and tough looking women who wish they were men dressed in black at the border, are only the tip of a giant lance that is aimed right at the heart of this country; a country I’m not sure I recognize any longer. I know there are bad guys trying to slip through the border, but the rest of us, with valid American passports, shouldn’t be treated with such contempt. A smile or friendly greeting would be much appreciated, instead of, "Where are you coming from, and what were you doing there?" The more I encounter this rudeness and intimidation, the more I want to never return.

John Wayne is not dead my friend, his tough guy persona lives on in every lowlife nobody in uniform dying to be a hero in the war on terrorism. The problem is the war on terrorism has transmuted into a war on us; the American people. Why are we now subjected to warrantless checkpoints and groping by low-class, TSA agents when traveling? What did I do? It is merely conditioning us for further subjugation. Remember this: it’s only the beginning. It’s a war that pretends to be ever vigilant for those bent on destroying the US, but instead it has been used to strip us of our liberties and dignity. And it is happening very quickly. New restrictions seem to be enacted every day, all for our own good. When the government tells you "It’s for our own safety," believe just the opposite. It is a slippery slope we are on; a slope fraught with danger. Be suspicious and very wary of all that they say. Just beware, once the 800-pound gorilla is out of the cage, it‘s tough putting him back in.

November 29, 2011

John Brennan [send him mail] is a freelance writer living in Mexico and will respond to any comments.

Copyright © 2011 by LewRockwell.com. Permission to reprint in whole or in part is gladly granted, provided full credit is given.

http://lewrockwell.com/orig12/brennan-j1.1.1.html

Pescador - 11-29-2011 at 07:20 AM

That is the best written piece of a perception I have had for a long time and also led to my retiring to Mexico. I really hate going back to the US for the same reasons you have so aptly described. This should be required reading for all of the government "flunkies" who have flocked to those jobs and it is just not at the border where we find it. How much fun was it last time you went to city hall to get a building permit, or renewed your drivers license, or even went to get a marriage license. Unlike the private sector where people usually go out of their way to treat the clients like customers and important people, we are surrounded by people who became surly, un-cooperative, and probably very happy with their inability to be fired.

I for one will be sending this to all of my friends.

Cypress - 11-29-2011 at 07:48 AM

Yea, seems like the face of authority has lost it's smile.

baronvonbob - 11-29-2011 at 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pescador
That is the best written piece of a perception I have had for a long time and also led to my retiring to Mexico. I really hate going back to the US for the same reasons you have so aptly described. This should be required reading for all of the government "flunkies" who have flocked to those jobs and it is just not at the border where we find it. How much fun was it last time you went to city hall to get a building permit, or renewed your drivers license, or even went to get a marriage license. Unlike the private sector where people usually go out of their way to treat the clients like customers and important people, we are surrounded by people who became surly, un-cooperative, and probably very happy with their inability to be fired.

I find your observations interesting in the area where you discuss City Hall. There is much truth in what you state. The times have changed and many of these surly "Employees" have been released, with the resulting law suits etc. I have noticed in the last few years that the employees at a lot of the smaller Cities reflect the attitudes of the Elected Officials. If they do not, they are fired. Many examples can be noted in the State of Oregon.
The more astute politicians vote for changes in the ordinances that will reflect well on their "Agenda". An example would be how development and permit fees with assurances of completion were changed where the high flying developers would not have to put up so much front money for their developments. When the development bubble burst and the non binding assurances collapsed many development went uncompleted and did not finish the public infrastructure that was a requirement off the project. This again put the burden on the Public to complete the infrastucture portions.
I state no answer, but just a point of what our society is becoming!

The point being, it is dificult to question authority now days with out some sort of uncomfotable recourse. So many take the easy road and do not question. Which leads to the question, how did we empower these people and let it get this far? ... and is it too late?

Ateo - 11-29-2011 at 08:02 AM

I remember the good old days at the border. "Citizenship?". "US". "Welcome back.". That was it.

I'm tired of the treatment from the officers these days. I feel like I have to kiss their ass to get back into my country. Next time I'll treat them the way they treat me. I'll let you know how that goes....

Pompano - 11-29-2011 at 08:14 AM

All good reading ..and a point of view.

Me too, ateo...this will be a good time for a 'test or report' .... let you know in about 4 hours what my experience is like crossing at Tecate.

David K - 11-29-2011 at 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano

Me too, ateo...this will be a good time for a 'test or report' .... let you know in about 4 hours what my experience is like crossing at Tecate.

Do you have mobile Internet Roger?

Pompano - 11-29-2011 at 08:17 AM

Yes....I do at the present...don't know how much longer it will last, though. Tower, etc.

bajabass - 11-29-2011 at 08:33 AM

DHS, CBP, IRS, EPA, BAR, CALOSHA, CFTB, SBOE, EDD, CARB, AQMD, DMV, USMC, USPO, the list goes on, every government agency, be it city, county, state, or fed, have been a pain in my burro, wallet, or both, forever. :fire:

As the piece states, it has worsened exponentially since 9/11. Boy, Mexico's problems and all, sure is nice and peaceful down here in La Paz! I had enjoyed my weekends in La Mision for years because of the peace, quiet, and nobody trying to control my life.:yes:

The decision to sell out and leave California for good was actually very easy to make, mainly thanks to the above listed government entities. I should thank them, but can't seem to find the words. :rolleyes:

LancairDriver - 11-29-2011 at 09:06 AM

Excellent post! I couldn't agree more. This same attitude described here has crept into every small berg Police Department in the US. 911 has certainly accelerated this transformation. Way to many Reality shows have glorified this attitude. Every underachiever who wants to exert control over people they normally couldn't compare to, now find it all to easy to find a job in law enforcement. The traditional definition of "hero" was re-written after 911.The small berg of 1,000 people near where I live now has eight cops, five of which are volunteers, with more waiting to get their black attire and boots and join the ranks of the heroes. Unfortunately I'm afraid this is typical of the entire country. Maybe this is the reason so many of us appreciate the Baja life style.

DianaT - 11-29-2011 at 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DavidT
......will most likely be used against you, the new perceived enemy, rather than some dark-skinned, turbaned terrorist......

He has an interesting perspective with which I agree in part. I am sorry he chose the above description---- it was difficult to get past this slur.

DENNIS - 11-29-2011 at 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DianaT
Quote:
......you,

---- it was difficult to get past this slur.

Ohhh, Diane....."You" isn't really a slur....yet, anyway. :light:

DianaT - 11-29-2011 at 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Originally posted by DianaT
Quote:
......you,

---- it was difficult to get past this slur.

Ohhh, Diane....."You" isn't really a slur....yet, anyway. :light:

:lol::lol:

Well, in context it could be, maybe. :biggrin:

Mengano - 11-29-2011 at 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajabass
I had enjoyed my weekends in La Mision for years because of the peace, quiet, and nobody trying to control my life.:yes:

The decision to sell out and leave California for good was actually very easy to make, mainly thanks to the above listed government entities. I should thank them, but can't seem to find the words. :rolleyes:

I fail to understand what your penchant is for lying so much. You seem to forget that all your posts are still floating around in the internet. Some people who read have almost a 100% retention, so your lies and contradictions just pop right out.

You have made it very clear in the past that you left California because (1) Your business failed, and (2) you married a Mexican doctor. You have also made it crystal clear that you were getting your clock cleaned out in La Mision and were fed up with the crime there. You moved further south because your Mexican doctor wife got a job down south. It is not even likely you had too much to do with the decision process.

Your sour grapes about the US are more are result of your personal failures than the reality. That is a very common theme for expats to rationalize their behavior. Do you really think the US has more government agencies and intervention than Mexico? Mexico has a bloated government with endless tramites and alphabet-lettered ministries that are always stepping on each other's toes. Even the Mexicans admit their judicial system is a total failure.

bajabass - 11-29-2011 at 10:40 AM

Mengano, not failed, SOLD. Get a life, not mine! Envy is ugly!:no:

Soulpatch, I hope you notice I did not mention firefighters and local law enforcement agencies in my list. You guys are the best!!

Cisco - 11-29-2011 at 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by baronvonbob
Quote:
Originally posted by Pescador

I find your observations interesting in the area where you discuss City Hall. There is much truth in what you state. The times have changed and many of these surly "Employees" have been released, with the resulting law suits etc. I have noticed in the last few years that the employees at a lot of the smaller Cities reflect the attitudes of the Elected Officials. If they do not, they are fired. Many examples can be noted in the State of Oregon.
The more astute politicians vote for changes in the ordinances that will reflect well on their "Agenda". An example would be how development and permit fees with assurances of completion were changed where the high flying developers would not have to put up so much front money for their developments. When the development bubble burst and the non binding assurances collapsed many development went uncompleted and did not finish the public infrastructure that was a requirement off the project. This again put the burden on the Public to complete the infrastucture portions.
I state no answer, but just a point of what our society is becoming!

The point being, it is dificult to question authority now days with out some sort of uncomfotable recourse. So many take the easy road and do not question. Which leads to the question, how did we empower these people and let it get this far? ... and is it too late?

Well written and expressive of my experiences crossing back and living within 100 miles of the border.

There is an article written two years ago that I will post on OT under the heading "Why OWS" which seemed to be a topic there. I would prefer to post here but it uses some pretty provocative expletives.

Goes right along with this excellent article. If you check it out remember, it was written two years ago.

TacoFeliz - 11-29-2011 at 11:01 AM

Excellent post, DavidT.

Woooosh - 11-29-2011 at 11:04 AM

I always roll my eyes when rolling through the border gate headed north after reading (paraphrasing) "We will give you a cordial welcome when returning the the USA". I have never gotten that, from them anyways.

bajabass - 11-29-2011 at 11:12 AM

I am sorry to hear this Soulpatch. Once I passed my wild years, I've always respected cops and firefighters. Doing the jobs nobody else wants to. Running INTO burning buildings, CHASING the bad guys with guns, ect. Not being on the inside, it seemed all the cops and firemen I dealt with were good people. Maybe it is the new blood. I did see what was happening to people trying to run honest small businesses in California, so, I opted for early "retirement".

Cisco - 11-29-2011 at 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by soulpatch
Quote:
Mengano, not failed, SOLD. Get a life, not mine! Envy is ugly!:no:

Soulpatch, I hope you notice I did not mention firefighters and local law enforcement agencies in my list. You guys are the best!!

I did and I and the other career professionals see the degradation from the inside.
We are not ecstatic about what we see and many of us want to get out before it truly becomes a clown show.

Some (non-thinkers) think when you pin a badge on them they are the chiite.... unfortunately, this is a case of where you get what you pay for.

Also, when you paint with a universal brush you fail to see the bright spots within what can be a frustrating and dark picture.... they are there.... unfortunately, they are remarkable rather than commonplace.

Right on! Since 2005 I have had many friends and neighbors bail from the "old" Border Patrol that they knew due to the changes based on the personality types and procedures that are being installed by Homeland Security today.

SDPD is having the same problem and two friends who "defected' are now happily employed in Silicon Valley PD's.

Mengano - 11-29-2011 at 11:30 AM

Quote:
Once I passed my wild years, I've always respected cops and firefighters. Doing the jobs nobody else wants to. Running INTO burning buildings, CHASING the bad guys with guns, ect.

WTF are you talking about? Police and fire departments are buried in job applications. The FBI got 227,000 applications for 3,000 openings. There is no lack of people wanting those jobs.

bajabass - 11-29-2011 at 11:40 AM

HMMM? A job it is almost impossible to lose.:light: Sounds very good to someone unemployed. A few of those people out there these days.

Whiners

Dave - 11-29-2011 at 12:19 PM

What's this guy b-tching about? That he's not being treated respectfully at the border?

He needs to grow up...Or stay home.

wessongroup - 11-29-2011 at 12:55 PM

Ditto's Dave...

BajaGringo - 11-29-2011 at 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Woooosh
I always roll my eyes when rolling through the border gate headed north after reading (paraphrasing) "We will give you a cordial welcome when returning the the USA". I have never gotten that, from them anyways.

After butting heads with the guys at the gates over the years I have just learned it be best to roll up to them grinning ear to ear and beat them to the punch, greeting them as friendly as possible. It doesn't work with even half of them but I do manage to get a few to crack out a huge grin in return from time to time.

Then they usually just wave me through without even so much as a single question...

;)

[Edited on 11-29-2011 by BajaGringo]

LancairDriver - 11-29-2011 at 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave
What's this guy b-tching about? That he's not being treated respectfully at the border?

He needs to grow up...Or stay home.

Recommended Procedure for Border Crossing:(Does this work for Dave?)
Jump out and lick the boots of the nearest guard. Then when they give you a swift kick in the burro and send you on your way,thank them profusely and tell them how much you appreciate the difficult dangerous job they are doing.Then you can feel comfortable knowing you behaved like a grown up.:lol::lol:

Mengano - 11-29-2011 at 02:28 PM

Quote:
And, how many of those "thousands" do you really want to rely on to save your life?

Message sent by Soulpatch to MeNo upon learning that MeNo's wife was seriously injured in a truck crash.

Quote:
"My favorite part of the job is scraping deserving people like your wife up off the pavement".

Do you deny sending that? People here need to know just what, and who, they are dealing with.

Cypress - 11-29-2011 at 03:09 PM

You guys are painting with a "wide brush". There're all kinds of people in most any outfit; some good, some bad, and some downright ugly.:D You've just got to take 'em like they come.

Oddjob - 11-29-2011 at 03:20 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Mengano
Quote:
Once I passed my wild years, I've always respected cops and firefighters. Doing the jobs nobody else wants to. Running INTO burning buildings, CHASING the bad guys with guns, ect.

WTF are you talking about? Police and fire departments are buried in job applications. The FBI got 227,000 applications for 3,000 openings. There is no lack of people wanting those jobs.

Buried? Not like the 80's and 90's....
And, how many of those "thousands" do you really want to rely on to save your life?
Wanting and being able to function at a high level are two different stories....
Take a look around and get a clue.

Soulpatch, you seem to be suffering from firefighter syndrome. There are many more capable and qualified police and fire job applicants than there are available positions. My fd neighbor is fifty two and has just retired with almost full pay plus medical for life. He just smiles and says that although he knows that it is a way better deal than most everyone else gets, he'll take it. He would have had no problem working for a few more years, but it made no sense. I'm not disputing that police and fire don't do a great job and sometimes are at great risk in doing so, but the package that you get makes it a pretty lucrative deal, with the early retirement and more than generous pension and benefits.

True, True, True

bajaguy - 11-29-2011 at 07:36 PM

Quote:
Nobody here suffering.
If they are all so qualified I wonder why we wash so many out in the application/testing process and then even more during probation.
I guess it is all perspective and the agency you work for. Some have higher standards than others.... go figure.

Very true.

When I was supervising the pre-employment background investigation unit for a very large state agency, we washed out about 67% of all applicants during the written, physical agility, initial interview, background investigation, polygraph and psychological testing. Not to mention up to 50% of succesful candidates during the academy process, and about another 15% of academy graduates during the probationary period...............we could never fill all of our vacant positions.

Lee - 11-29-2011 at 07:55 PM

Quote:
Papers, Please

by John Brennan

I am a 58-year-old American male and former military officer who has had the opportunity to travel throughout the world. No, I never participated in any war and am happy I haven’t.

John Wayne is not dead my friend, his tough guy persona lives on in every lowlife nobody in uniform dying to be a hero in the war on terrorism.

This nut job is most likely white with a sense of entitlement and priviledged.

''Lowlife nobody in uniform,'' won't smile at me when I cross the border. Boo hoo. It's just not right. My feelings just don't matter anymore.

Every generation complains about how it use to be and how lousy life is now.

Get use to it. Ain't no going back. Get out of Dodge if you don't like it. Just stop with the whining and grow up a little.

Fernweh - 11-29-2011 at 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:

Do you have mobile Internet Roger?

Just for your info.....

we just returned from La Paz on Sunday crossing the border in Tecate.
Before the checkpoint signs stated: free Wifi courtesy of the Tecate's mayor.
Worked great, surfing the web, sending our pictures - while we had to wait for our turn.

Karl

DENNIS - 11-29-2011 at 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Fernweh
Before the checkpoint signs stated: free Wifi courtesy of the Tecate's mayor.

Must be a recent addition, but a really cool one at that. Great PR in the Hell Zone.
I guess the US just didn't have the time to be so thoughtful.
Ohh well....maybe they'll bring the Capuccino Cart out of retirement one of these days.

Lengua - 11-29-2011 at 10:30 PM

Mengano , you are mean spirited and remind me of a childish bully. Get a life . Jealousy is ugly and so is your attitude towards others on this site .
Get happy

David K - 11-30-2011 at 09:09 AM

Limes are not illegal, just fyi. Good border crossing photos... I think if they saw you taking photos they would be upset, however. Thanks Roger! Be sure to call me again when you stay at Guajome, which is like 2 miles from my house.

Ateo - 11-30-2011 at 09:16 AM

Seems like San Ysidro is where I get rude treatment. Tecate and Mexicali seem cool. Perhaps the stress level is much higher in Ysidro. Did you know you can't bring dog food back into the USA? I didn't until I got b-tched out 2 years ago by an officer.

Pompano - 11-30-2011 at 09:38 AM

Quote:
Limes are not illegal, just fyi. Good border crossing photos... I think if they saw you taking photos they would be upset, however. .....

The border patrol agent who looked in the coach fridge said they were and I didn't feel like questioning him. And they have all seen me taking photos...for many years..just never any close-ups. I know better.

Quote:
Originally posted by ateo
Seems like San Ysidro is where I get rude treatment. Tecate and Mexicali seem cool. Perhaps the stress level is much higher in Ysidro. Did you know you can't bring dog food back into the USA? I didn't until I got b-tched out 2 years ago by an officer.

Yup..heard that, too. But I have not had to give any up dog food yet. I knew about the eggs, though..and meats like pork, beef, turkey, etc. Every year it seems something is added or deleted. I need to make a check list..starting today.

p.s. edit to add: I am moving my post/s to a separate road trip report thread to avoid any further hijacking of the OP's thread.

[Edited on 11-30-2011 by Pompano]

David K - 11-30-2011 at 10:37 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Limes are not illegal, just fyi. Good border crossing photos... I think if they saw you taking photos they would be upset, however. .....

The border patrol agent who looked in the coach fridge said they were and I didn't feel like questioning him. And they have all seen me taking photos...for many years..just never any close-ups. I know better.

Quote:
Originally posted by ateo

Yup..heard that, too. But I have not had to give any up dog food yet. I knew about the eggs, though..and meats like pork, beef, turkey, etc. Every year it seems something is added or deleted. I need to make a check list..starting today.

p.s. edit to add: I am moving my post/s to a separate road trip report thread to avoid any further hijacking of the OP's thread.

[Edited on 11-30-2011 by Pompano]

Yes, when we pulled up at Tecate on one trip a couple years ago... after he asked if I had any fruit or veggies, I then said "yes, some limes"... He then filled the secondary paper and placed on my windshield... I said, "limes are permitted"... and he answered he wan't sure and since oranges are not permitted, and limes are related to oranges, yadda yadda... LOL

When the inspector in secondary came to my truck and looked at the paper, she said "LIMES?!... Get out of here" and sent us on our way, with our limes... :lol::light::cool:

[Edited on 11-30-2011 by David K]

DENNIS - 11-30-2011 at 12:10 PM

Quote:
Limes are not illegal, just fyi. Good border crossing photos... I think if they saw you taking photos they would be upset, however. Thanks Roger! Be sure to call me again when you stay at Guajome, which is like 2 miles from my house.

This says differently:

https://epermits.aphis.usda.gov/manual/index.cfm?action=cirR...

Cypress - 11-30-2011 at 12:51 PM

The luck of the draw! The hour, the day, the people on duty, type vehicle, age/sex/appearance/attitude...... Arbitrary?:biggrin: