BajaNomad

Holy Mole: Loreto, Baja breakfast

BajaNews - 12-3-2011 at 01:34 PM

http://www.starkinsider.com/2011/11/baja-breakfast-los-mandi...

BY LONI KAO STARK
27 NOV 2011

One of my favorite meals of the day in Loreto, Baja California Sur is breakfast.

Most mornings, this consists of half of a large papaya followed by a cup of non-fat yogurt with cereal mixed in. The papayas in Loreto are sweet and ripe. I used to not like papayas when I was growing up on the east coast because they would taste bland and hard. It was only when I arrived in Loreto did I learn how wonderful they can be when they are picked ripe.

Then there are those special mornings. Ones where Clint and I stroll down the Loreto Malecon and stop into one of the little family-owned restaurants that dot the strip between the town and the Sea of Cortez. While our friends Bob and Sandy were in town, we decided to take them to Los Mandiles Restaurant. We were first introduced to this bright orange restaurant with azul-colored plastic chairs by Marla Daily, an avid supporter of the animal rescue shelter in town, Animalandia.

They serve traditional Mexican breakfasts, the kind where the ingredients and sauces melt together on rustic red stoneware. I also love their juices which are fresh squeezed. They make it only after you order it.

Photo:

Motulenos Eggs (Yucatan Style) Fried eggs on toast corn tortilla, with beans bathed with red sauce, ham and peas. Served with fried plantain macho. (80 pesos). Loved the peas on this dish. They almost match the green dots on the dishes. The plantains were just okay, but maybe it's because I am not crazy about plantains.

Los-Mandilles-Loreto-Baja-California-Sur-2b-610x406.jpg - 42kB

Phil S - 12-3-2011 at 02:02 PM

Where is this restaurant located? Directions please. Thank you. I thought I knew where they are all located. But don't recognize the name.

bajajudy - 12-3-2011 at 02:10 PM

One of my favs for breakfast in Loreto
Those sure look good but I prefer mine with fried eggs so the yellow mixes with the sauce, ham etc.
Their huevo ranchero are excellent too.

Loretana - 12-3-2011 at 05:02 PM

Los Mandiles is on the Malecon. They have good chilaquiles, too.

Phil S - 12-3-2011 at 05:56 PM

Well, I'm pretty familiar with restaurants on the malecon, but this one eludes me. Is it anywhere near Oggies????? Or maybe the other direction near The Mision??

vandenberg - 12-4-2011 at 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Phil S
Well, I'm pretty familiar with restaurants on the malecon, but this one eludes me. Is it anywhere near Oggies????? Or maybe the other direction near The Mision??

Right next door to Mediterraneo on the Malecon.

Just a block from OGGIES :?::P
You must mean Augie's.:biggrin:

[Edited on 12-4-2011 by vandenberg]

Phil S - 12-4-2011 at 10:07 AM

Thanks Ed. They must have been on the corner next to Augies at one time maybe 4-5 years ago?????? I remember great breakfasts there. AND didn't they also do a small bakery????

Breakfast in Loreto with Phil C, July 2009...

David K - 12-4-2011 at 11:01 AM

Was across from the mission... and it was delicious!

Oddjob - 12-4-2011 at 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Loretana

They serve the best chilaquiles that I've had anywhere.

bajajudy - 12-4-2011 at 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Oddjob
Quote:

They serve the best chilaquiles that I've had anywhere.

I agree!

mulegemichael - 12-4-2011 at 12:16 PM

and the best huevos rancheros that i've ever had!!!!...hands down!...no exception!!!.....if ya go in there you'd better bring your appetite with ya.

tripledigitken - 12-4-2011 at 12:34 PM

Anyone have a photo of this restaurant?

Oddjob - 12-4-2011 at 12:53 PM

http://www.starkinsider.com/2009/04/las-mandiles-restaurant-...

Las Mandiles- not just for breakfast

tripledigitken - 12-4-2011 at 01:53 PM

Oddjob,

Thanks for the link. I have eaten there just didn't know the name.

I had a very good simple fillet fish dinner at a reasonable price. Very nice servers too.

Ken

tripledigitken - 12-4-2011 at 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Was across from the mission... and it was delicious!

I walked by there last year and they appeared to have closed.:no:

(this photo taken Feb, 2010)

[Edited on 12-4-2011 by tripledigitken]

Paula - 12-4-2011 at 02:24 PM

The original store was on the highway as you come in from north of Loreto. As far as I know they are still open up there.

But it isn't the same as going downtown for green juice. :(

bajajudy - 12-4-2011 at 03:08 PM

If they are closed, where did Loni eat?!?!?!?!?!

Loretana - 12-4-2011 at 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajajudy

Loni ate at Los Mandiles, on the Malecon.

El Canaveral (the juice bar in DK's photo) was across from the INAH Museum attached to the Mision. DK just threw ya a curve, Judy. :rolleyes:

[Edited on 12-5-2011 by Loretana]

tripledigitken - 12-4-2011 at 04:53 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by bajajudy

Loni ate at Los Mandiles, on the Malecon.

Los Canaverales (the juice bar in DK's photo) was across from the INAH Museum attached to the Mision. DK just threw ya a curve, Judy. :rolleyes:

Judy,

I had a hand in the "hijack" too.

Ken