BajaNomad

E-Glass Seekers at half price

Santiago - 12-4-2011 at 09:43 PM

CharkBait is running the Seeker E-Glass rods at $80 here. Just to be clear, this is not their Black Steel or Classic series, but if you were going to get an Ugly Stick for Xmas, a couple more bucks gets you a good rod.
I own and use the Black Steel but to be honest, and please don't spread this around, I like glass rods. If you ever run across a Fenwick Classic Glass, get it.

Pescador - 12-5-2011 at 07:16 AM

Jim, we need to teach you how to roll your own.:smug:

Hook - 12-5-2011 at 07:39 AM

It's pretty tough to beat these rods for value on a decent rod. Rebate from Shakespeare now brings these down under 50.00.

I own lots of Seekers and Cal Stars. These havent failed me yet. Particularly like the fast action tip models for jigging.

Santiago - 12-5-2011 at 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pescador

Pesky: I've tried my hand at it but to be honest, I'm not a detail guy and while the rods work; they don't look very good. As far as this deal goes, could the casual rod builder get the blank, grips, seat and guides for $80? Let alone the threads, epoxies, brushes, decals, winding jigs etc etc.
Also, where do you come down on the E-glass vrs. graphite?

Pescador - 12-5-2011 at 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Santiago
Quote:
Originally posted by Pescador

Pesky: I've tried my hand at it but to be honest, I'm not a detail guy and while the rods work; they don't look very good. As far as this deal goes, could the casual rod builder get the blank, grips, seat and guides for $80? Let alone the threads, epoxies, brushes, decals, winding jigs etc etc.
Also, where do you come down on the E-glass vrs. graphite?

You are probably right, especially since you do not have all the equipment. Actually, I prefer my rods to any of the commercial wrapped rods and have heard the same thing when someone is lucky enough to get to go out on my boat. I did it not so much because I am a frustrated Starving Artist, but I just did not like most of what was wrapped and refused to pay the big bucks for custom wrapped rods by someone else. I used to do all the fancy weaves and custom wrappings, but have become very utilitarian as of late. The Mexico attitude, I think.

sd - 12-5-2011 at 03:58 PM

I have one of these rods in my Baja assortment, and love it. I have the conventional model rated 15 (20) 25, and fish a Penn 955 with 15 to 20 lb line, lots of fun. Charkbait is a first class operation, and I went in last week and purchased 5 more of these rods for myself and friends. Can't beat this price! If you are near the store it is a fun stop, and they ship in US.