BajaNomad

Boat Modification; cure for two-foot-itis: Heard back from FishRite

Santiago - 12-11-2011 at 11:34 AM

[img][/img]
I have a Baja XL 18’, center console, outboard (115hp Merc), 39 gallon fuel tank, similar to the photo. This is a med-heavy aluminum boat, dry weight of hull alone is 900lbs.
I would like to make the following modifications:

1. Move the console forward about 18”, about where the front of the cooler is now. (Appears to be enough slack in the control cables to do this)

2. Add another supporting panel, similar to the one that supports the raised fore deck, at the front of the console, increasing the size of the foredeck and having more storage.

3. Make a step on each side of the console so it is easier to step from the main deck to the fore deck. This will also add more stability to the console and be a great place to store Plano boxes.

4. Add another fuel tank, or extend the existing one, where the fish box is now, maybe 15-20 gallons. The existing tank sits above the keel and between the two stringers from the back of the fore deck to about where the console seat ends; 39 gallons. The fish box is quite large, maybe 20" x 48" and is accessible from a hatch in the floor.

The boat handles beautifully in SOC rough chop and I'm wondering how moving the console forward will affect that? I've noticed that some aluminum boats (Westcoasters in particular) have their console much farther forward than mine, giving more room in the back which is my goal here.

[Edited on 12-13-2011 by Santiago]

Barry A. - 12-11-2011 at 11:41 AM

Perhaps you could check with the Boat Manufacturer, the design department engineers specifically.

Personally I am always a little leery of changing the design of something that theoretically has been comprehensively "designed" in the first place. Boat behavior & structural integrity is a tricky subject--------

Just my thoughts----------

Barry

Santiago - 12-11-2011 at 11:44 AM

Barry,
Yes, I have written FishRite this morning; I'm thinking their response will be an "OK" as they sell boats with this config. We'll see.

Hook - 12-11-2011 at 11:45 AM

Pretty much agree with Barry. On a boat that light and short, there is much thought that goes into where to place the helm and where people would be riding; mostly for seaworthiness. You certainly dont want a boat that will plow unnecessarily. I dont think that the added weight of the additional fuel will compensate for the weight you are moving forward. Besides, eventually you will use that fuel up.

[Edited on 12-11-2011 by Hook]

vgabndo - 12-11-2011 at 04:23 PM

Holy crap dude, what you have is heaven on earth to some of us mortals!!!:no:

Fernweh - 12-12-2011 at 07:54 AM

I do think Barry is on the right track.

You might have to do a "Weight and Balance" similar as the aircraft pilots do, to find out how far to move the center console forward and how to maintain the balance with the added weight of the new items.

I believe the boats with heavy and/or multiple outboards have the center console more forward to achieve that perfect balance.....

Karl

Hook - 12-12-2011 at 08:09 AM

Wow, 115 hp on an 18 foot boat that probably weighs no more than 1500 lbs. Thing must be a real rocket.

Is that dry weight including the console, seating and T-top?

My boat has 200hp but it weighs about 6500 lbs dry and it still can do about 24 knots.

bajabass - 12-12-2011 at 08:26 AM

Put a bunch of weight forward in the boat and run it. See how it handles on a rough day, moving the weight forward and back. Maybe a few bags of concrete, sand ect. Run up and down swell, across swell, trolling and planing speed. I have a fairly light 17ft Triumph cc, and just a passenger moving from the console bench seat, to the seat forward of the console makes a huge difference in the way the boat handles, planes out, ect.

bajabass - 12-12-2011 at 08:42 AM

Oh, try different trim heights also! Good luck and nice boat!!

baitcast - 12-12-2011 at 01:13 PM

LUV it as is,your spoiled,should be able to knock them dead with that rig!
Rob

Hear back from FishRite today:

Santiago - 12-12-2011 at 06:50 PM

Talked over the changes you are looking at doing. Moving the console forward and moving your foredeck back with steps on either side so that it is approximately 6” per step can be done. Because you have power trim on the motor you can adjust you ride depending on the load.
We can also add another fuel tank under the new deck with a valve to feed your existing tank with another outside filler. With your boat here we could complete the changes. Having to redo the control cables and everything else it would be close to $10,000.00. Thank you for your request. I look forward to talking with you further about this.

Used to be $10k was laying-around money, not so much anymore.:(

Islandbuilder - 12-12-2011 at 07:44 PM

I'm sure you can adjust for any weight re-distribution with your trim, but the further forward you go, the more you'll feel the bumps. I don't know how much new steering and shift cables would cost, but even if you had to replace them all, plus the electrical bundle, it seems like you can do this yourself (assuming everything bolts up, no welding) for a fraction of the $10k the factory wants.

baitcast - 12-13-2011 at 09:11 AM

:o:O:o Only 10K........You got a winner as is,you got room to burn in the bow for that bigun.
Rob

Cypress - 12-13-2011 at 09:33 AM

Go for it!:D