BajaNomad

Fish for breakfast anyone?

shari - 12-14-2011 at 09:17 AM

So, because of the storm, our pangas are resting safely in the driveway...but that doesnt stop Juan from fishing. As is our morning ritual, we check the water temps and see that they are nearing 70 so Juan says, there must be cabrilla....and as I sip my coffee...Juan slips out the door with his casting rod, walks down to the rock in front of the house and sure enough he hauls in a sweet calico on the first cast.

It's now frying up....now THAT is fresh!

ahhhhhh baja

David K - 12-14-2011 at 09:20 AM

Wonderful!!:bounce::bounce:

Udo - 12-14-2011 at 09:25 AM

I'll be looking forward to meeting Juan in a few days!

KaceyJ - 12-14-2011 at 10:15 AM

Actually that sounds great Shari,

I had split-pea soup with a fresh bolillo .

shari - 12-14-2011 at 10:32 AM

Udo...there's room on that rock for you amigo! look forward to your visit!

mtgoat666 - 12-14-2011 at 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari

never been a fan of fish for breakfast.

bajafam - 12-14-2011 at 10:59 AM

Yum. You are killing us Shari....we are aching for Baja so badly....these posts are making the last couple of days torturous!! See you soon, my friend!!

And Udo - how long you gonna be there? We should be arriving on the 20th or so :)

Woooosh - 12-14-2011 at 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Quote:

never been a fan of fish for breakfast.

trout and eggs? yum.

Cypress - 12-14-2011 at 11:02 AM

We had salt mackerel for breakfast when I was a kid. Really good!:D

Pacifico - 12-14-2011 at 11:12 AM

Awesome!!!

bajabass - 12-14-2011 at 12:05 PM

I'll second the fresh trout, with a pile of home fries and a few eggs Whoooosh! Some lightly breadcrumbed calico next to my huevos rancheros could work for sure! :yes:

Pompano - 12-14-2011 at 01:19 PM

When I was visiting family in England a few years back, I really liked the traditional kipper or bloater breakfast served in some better restaurants.

Hey, there’s nothing like the gorgeous smokiness of a proper kipper to start the day properly. But kind of hard to find on most Baja cafe breakfast menus...so it's mostly a do-it-yourself-er.

Proper kippers are succuluent, not dried up or tough...so having fresh from the sea is excellent. Good idea to serve those calico kippers with grain mustard butter – a neat twist on the traditional recipe.

Cheers and all that, what?

Kippers for Breakfast.jpg - 22kB

DavidT - 12-14-2011 at 09:39 PM

Grandmama used to make fried largemouth bass with grits for breakfast. When we visited Granddaddy used to walk us to the fishing pond early, although he had already been up and working, to catch breakfast. I can close my eyes and still see the farm, the pond and the kitchen.

Thanks for bringing back the memories.

desertcpl - 12-15-2011 at 10:47 AM

reminds me when I was much younger, we had a boat that we used to take to Catalina island alot, we would anchor in one the the coves at night, in the morning I would go diving and spear some fish ( usually Calicos) and when I was lucky Abalones, then it was fried eggs and potatoes fresh fried fish and Abalone,

now that was a breakfast, I can still taste it 5 star

O.G. - 12-15-2011 at 11:07 AM

How about Lox and bagels, with thinly sliced red onion; avocado; cream cheese; sliced tomato; and a few capers for breakfast?

Pompano - 12-15-2011 at 11:24 AM

In the olden days (and still today in some places) some had breakfast served on sideboards where one selected what was desired.

Now in some places, like this B&B near where we hunt in Saskatchewan, one can still get a full buffet breakfast...with fish!

Of course, you need to use a helicopter and winch to lower you into your goose blind. :rolleyes:

...some just prefer something simple

Udo - 12-15-2011 at 05:54 PM

We'll be at Shari's on the 21st, and leaving on the 23rd.
24th we'll be in La Paz.

Quote:
Originally posted by bajafam

And Udo - how long you gonna be there? We should be arriving on the 20th or so :)

woody with a view - 12-15-2011 at 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by O.G.
How about Lox and bagels, with thinly sliced red onion; cream cheese; sliced tomato; and a few capers for breakfast?

my FAVORITE breakfast of all time. unless you include some sausages.....

Ateo - 12-15-2011 at 08:42 PM

Making me hungry.....

acadist - 12-17-2011 at 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by O.G.
How about Lox and bagels, with thinly sliced red onion; avocado; cream cheese; sliced tomato; and a few capers for breakfast?

I'll second that!!

shari - 12-17-2011 at 07:14 AM

OK, my canuck pal just brought the lovely smoked salmon...check
got the cream cheese....check
got the red onion....check

oh crap...where the hell am I gonna find a bagel???:?: dang

UDO....HELP!!

Woooosh - 12-17-2011 at 09:30 AM

Quote:
OK, my canuck pal just brought the lovely smoked salmon...check
got the cream cheese....check
got the red onion....check

oh crap...where the hell am I gonna find a bagel???:?: dang

UDO....HELP!!

capers are a challenge too I suppose.

BajaGringo - 12-17-2011 at 09:59 AM

Lots of memories of frying up fresh rainbow trout by the river for breakfast. It was the easiest way to get a bunch of boy scouts out of their tents early in the morning...

pompano

captkw - 12-17-2011 at 10:08 AM

OH,..ok, I guess I just never heard it before,,I will crawl back into my cave and keep pedaling my alternater for for power.....I hope (have to) that something, anything will change for the better for the sea,,sometimes, at night I wish for 50 cal. and do some target pratice,,:fire: