BajaNomad

Sierra Mackerel Tournament at East Cape this weekend

bajainfo - 12-28-2011 at 04:54 PM

Santiago - 12-28-2011 at 06:35 PM

At first I thought this was a joke but I think you're serious. This is a day when you try to catch these things, right? In my neck of the cacti, every September when I troll for dorado my sierra-to-dodo ratio is somewhere around 100-to-1. About day three they become a serious nuisance; so much so that on day 4, my pantywaist buddies refuse to go out unless I promise that on the first sign of sierra we switch to dropper loops with cut bait in 400 feet of water in the high hopes of catching grunts.

The guys in the Bertram 31s don't show up for this do they? I'd pay to see that photo - 6 guys in Sperry topsiders, creased shorts and ironed polos on the back deck with 20 or 30 sierra mackerals neatly arraigned; bloody decks indeed. What color is the sierra mackerel flag?

jbcoug - 12-28-2011 at 09:41 PM

I'd much better like being there catching sierra then sitting in the cool-wet NW.

John

bajabass - 12-29-2011 at 04:52 AM

Hey, sierra are fun on light tackle! Great ceviche, and fresh, good on the BBQ.

bajabass - 12-29-2011 at 04:59 AM

In fact, I'm leaving in about an hour to restock the fridge!

Pescador - 12-29-2011 at 06:49 AM

Sorry, but I am with Santiago on this one. I can just see the guys who typically fish the big money tournaments pushing this one for as warm up. I love to catch Sierra with my fly rod while wading off of the beach, it is a real kick with a 9 wt. rod, but the Picture that Santiago paints is PRICELESS.

ceviche

captkw - 12-29-2011 at 06:50 AM

HOLA,they do make great ceviche,,but once again,,,,Im see all sign's that the fishing has/is gone to hell,,DAMN IT !!!!:fire:

Cardon Man - 12-29-2011 at 07:53 AM

I highly doubt they are targeting "big money" tournament guys. More likely just the local yocals who fish the beach.

Directions

thefishaholic - 12-29-2011 at 08:37 AM

Can someone give us the directions to Palapa Buena Vista.

This could be fun and a great warmup for Jensen's Tourney in Cabo.

Stephon is trying to get a second tourney going this year for early Feb.

dtbushpilot - 12-29-2011 at 09:57 AM

Directions:
Turn into the parking lot of Tienda Popular on the highway in Buena Vista and go immediately North down the hill. Follow this road 100 yards or so, when your hat floats back up 20 feet and you're there.

This is a beach fishing tournament meant to be fun for the folks without a boat or a lot of money (100peso entry). It will undoubtedly be won by a local fishing with a hand line.......dt

Santiago - 12-29-2011 at 10:40 AM

Well, now I'm embarrassed. I like these kinds of outings and catching sierras from the beach is fun. In fact, a bunch of us get together once each year for a carp fishing tourney, so I've no room to talk.

Pompano - 12-29-2011 at 10:42 AM

Sounds a lot like my old Pinto Derby..and Bart's 3 Fish Tournament. Just Baja fun..no stress allowed.

bajabass - 12-30-2011 at 09:27 AM

Pescador, I tail hooked about a four pound sierra yesterday on my 15lb calico rig:bounce: Thought I had a yellowtail for about 10 seconds! Three of us got our 5 sierra limits in a few hours yesterday, just down-coast of Tecalote.

Ceviche anyone!!!!:biggrin:

Santiago, as a kid in Michigan, we caught tons of carp, some big ones, in the Grand River, running thru Lansing. Chasing bluegill and small bass with my Zebco, and a big carp would eat the nightcrawlers. Big thrills for an eight or nine year old! :o