BajaNomad

Quick trip to Baja

John M - 12-29-2011 at 12:24 PM

Christmas morning we left for a few days to relax in Baja. Not wanting to drive too far, and remembering a post about a new motel near Guadalupe Valley we made that our destination. Heading south from the Border we were aware of a recent post regarding some questionable police stops so we were especially watchful. Sure enough we saw plenty of police; all of those that took notice of us nodded and provided us with a polite smile. Traffic was light and we really enjoyed the lush countryside driving south, obviously recent rainfall has been beneficial. Our directions to the motel told us that we would find it on the left side of the highway just as we encountered the four lane, divided road. Sure enough, about km 92 we spotted it - clean and appealing to us.

Plaza Fatima Hotel sign, vineyards across the highway

Rooms are spacious, comfortable, and clean with no frills, $45 which we were happy with and didn't try to bargain.

Next morning it was off to Ensenada but first having a great breakfast a mile or so south of the hotel at Mustafa's - food is plentiful, delicious and the waitresses were delightful.

The rest of the day was occupied by relaxing, strolling a few shops in the tourist area and having a very nice dinner.

It has been probably more than thirty years since we took in the sights of La Bufadora so we decided to make the short drive the following morning. We were impressed with the cleanliness of all the small shops and food stands but then seeing the "blow hole" once again was amazing -why have we stayed away so long???

La Bufadora in action

Barb and I on the bluff a few yards south of the little tourist area -

Super clean bathrooms at La Bufadora come with a 5 peso price tag with your choice of an appropriate bundle of toilet paper.

And, of course, especially for David K :spingrin:- yummie clams, a close up

Later that day we just couldn't resist lunch at one of our favorite spots, a little south of the Ensenada - I've already use the word yummie, to this would have to be, ummmm - yummie too.

Back to Ensenada we strolled along the Malacon by the bay and had fun people watching especially seeing the new bikes, skates, cars, outfits, and smiling faces of parents and children.

Future racer?

Could this be a new roller derby star?

Traffic on our return was as light as on the way south. The highway is in very nice shape, 1 or 2 miles of construction mid-way, and one military checkpoint at about the same place as usual.

Oh yes, we did count the stop signs and lights on our way north as we approached Tecate - 15 of them! We got in line along the border fence at about the top of the hill about 12:15 - and 45 minutes later back in the USA.

John and Barbara M

[Edited on 12-29-2011 by John M]

sancho - 12-29-2011 at 12:39 PM

$4.00 dollar banos? At least they provide the always
absent TP, I should I plan to do a couple days
camping/bicycle riding in that Vineyard area
D, aren't you right on the way, you could put
one of those portable blue rooms on the Buf Rd
and charge 40 pesos

[Edited on 12-29-2011 by sancho]

DENNIS - 12-29-2011 at 12:41 PM

50 Pesos to use the head at the Buf? I'd pee in my pants before I paid them 50 Pesos to recycle a few Pacificos.

Nice guys finish last

Dave - 12-29-2011 at 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
I'd pee in my pants before I paid them 50 Pesos to recycle a few Pacificos.

I'd pee on their pants.

oops - 5 pesos

John M - 12-29-2011 at 01:20 PM

5 pesos is what I meant to write - egads

or - 50 cents US

John

sancho - 12-29-2011 at 03:51 PM

5 Pesos, that's better, what a RELIEF so to speak

Bob H - 12-29-2011 at 07:34 PM

Sweet trip report. John, I would be interested to know what La Bufadora was like 30 years ago?
:?:

YES!!!!

El Vergel - 12-29-2011 at 10:19 PM

Killer clams r 2 die 4! Thanx 4 the share, awesome.

John M

Baja Bernie - 12-30-2011 at 08:08 AM

Mustafa's Restaurant...Great food and an even better story on how it came to be in Los Minos or Cajon de Tigre...

An Arab family, very attractive daughters, runs the place...The Mexican food is great and their speciality is APPLE PIE and Ice cream as in American.

Great people.

oh, really??

EnsenadaDr - 12-30-2011 at 08:20 AM

And what would you use for toilet paper, taco wrappers???
Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
50 Pesos to use the head at the Buf? I'd pee in my pants before I paid them 50 Pesos to recycle a few Pacificos.

DianaT - 12-30-2011 at 10:07 AM

John, what a great short trip and great photos to show it all! Fun, that is what your photos show, fun and more fun.

THANK YOU

La Bufadora 35 years earlier

John M - 12-31-2011 at 06:18 PM

Bob H asked about photos from 30 years earlier - as that is when I had guessed we last visited La Bufadora.

My wife successfully located two photos of our first and we think only previous visit to La Bufadora. I was a little off on my initial guess-timate as to how long ago - our daughter and son who are in the photo we believe to be about 7 and 5 years old respectively - they are now 42 and 40!

How time flies - we likely had a very inexpensive camera of some sort and only spared a couple of photos here, such imagination we must have had back then.

Our daughter in the red outfit - she is with pigtails and son is in the blond haired boy wearing the white t-shirt directly in front of her.

Water is still water, and it looks about the same intensity now as then.

John and Barbara

Packoderm - 12-31-2011 at 06:20 PM

Great photos, thanks for posting them.

Bob H - 12-31-2011 at 06:37 PM

Wow! That was fantastic... 35 years ago! Yes, digital technology allows us to take as many photos as we want and then delete the ones we don't like. Back in the 'film' days that was just not the case as it could become expensive.

That same wall is there except they put stone caps on top of it.

What was it like as far as the vendors there back then? Places to eat, etc.?

Love the old photos! And, your story.

Thank YOU!

[Edited on 1-1-2012 by Bob H]

Neal Johns - 12-31-2011 at 08:09 PM

John M.
Hard to believe you were young once!:lol::lol::lol:
When are you going to bring your neighbor to LC for a Baja Book Fix?

Neal Johns - 12-31-2011 at 08:12 PM

Bernie,
You are right about Mustafa's Restaurant, but who cares about the food?:coolup:

TMW - 1-2-2012 at 11:27 AM

Wow kids grow up so fast. Thanks for the report and pictures.

dtbushpilot - 1-2-2012 at 11:57 AM

Nice trip report John, thanks for sharing.....dt

Curt63 - 1-2-2012 at 03:05 PM

Real nice

BajaBlanca - 1-11-2012 at 08:43 PM

so cool that you found the old photos ...great trip report !