BajaNomad

Ensenada 12-30-11-End of Year Yellowtail

lp2578 - 12-31-2011 at 02:23 PM

Wayde Nichols and Chris Pion timed there trip on the It's 4 Reels perfectly. Big yellows were caught by a couple of local boats on Wednesday but were a no show on Thursday. We headed out of Cruiseport Marina around 6AM and headed for the north point of Todos Santos Island. We were in and out of light fog and stopped on a couple of spots of diving birds for nada. We then started looking towards the area around San Miguel Reef. We metered fish on the high spot and thought it might be mackeral but the sabikis were loaded up with blacksmith perch. The fog was lifting by this point and we found diving birds working over many different schools of big yellows about 2 miles inside of the north end of the island. It was run and gun the rest of the morning as we chased down and hooked 10 yellows boating 5 from 20 to 27 lbs. Chris was high man on the boat with 3 yellows landed. Wayde was hooked up constantly and managed 1 yellow. I was snake bit most of the morning until I finally switched from using the 45/7x size jigs to smaller heavier 6x size in solid chrome. My only 2 hits were instant and came on the sink. Fought the first fish for 10 minutes before it came unbuttoned and the 2nd fish was 24lbs and fought hard. It's been awhile and it felt good to have something pull that hard on the right equipment. Not sure how long these fish will hang around but I hope they stay long enough for the next charter. Happy New Year!

http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/baja-mexico-fishing-reports-discussion/382668-ensenada-12-30-11-end-year-yellowtail.html#post2525329

BornFisher - 12-31-2011 at 04:31 PM

Great job Louie errrr.............. LP from now on!!
Cory and I wondered if we saw you Wed, south of Salsipuedes about noon.
Hope them YT`s are around for awhile, was it last year when they were going off at the island?

willardguy - 12-31-2011 at 06:25 PM

sure louie, you,re out pullin on tails and im standin in front of tequila's waiting to open!
nice fish!

lp2578 - 12-31-2011 at 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BornFisher
Great job Louie errrr.............. LP from now on!!
Cory and I wondered if we saw you Wed, south of Salsipuedes about noon.
Hope them YT`s are around for awhile, was it last year when they were going off at the island?

They went off in June...Hopefully they stick around at least until the next storm comes through.