BajaNomad

"Fishing" FMM or "tourist" FMM

Hook - 1-2-2012 at 10:33 AM

Thought it might be better to start a fresh topic on this.

Surely, there are a number of San Diego private boaters who will be venturing into Mexican waters via a SD launch ramp or marina. And some of these are bound to have the traditional 180 day tourist FMM that you probably got during a land-based trip. It would be very valuable if you would post on this and BDoutdoors if the tourist FMM is sufficient for satisfying the Mexican authorities. Or whether they are looking for a different type of tourist "visa". This would mean that you or someone you know would have been asked to show it on the water by Mexican authorities.

Not surprisingly, some of us are finding the separate post regarding this rather confusing, due to the fee structure being discussed at the SD fishing fleet landings. It bears no semblance to the tourist FMM.

[Edited on 1-2-2012 by Hook]

TonyC - 1-3-2012 at 07:44 AM

i'd like to know also.

i copied, and posted this on BD. the the first post on BD about this was 20 pages of peeed off fishermen wanting to vent.

Oddjob - 1-3-2012 at 09:04 AM

The land FMM and fishing FMM are different. The land 180 day visa is not valid for fishing.

http://www.wonews.com/Blog.aspx?id=1574&AuthorID=59063&a...

TonyC - 1-3-2012 at 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Oddjob
The land FMM and fishing FMM are different. The land 180 day visa is not valid for fishing.

that's where i'm confused. if you have a fishing lic., and a land FMM (180 days), why would i need fishing FMM? just saying.:rolleyes::?:

Oddjob - 1-3-2012 at 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TonyC
Quote:

that's where i'm confused. if you have a fishing lic., and a land FMM (180 days), why would i need fishing FMM? just saying.:rolleyes::?:

Because they are different visas. The FISHING visa is dated for a specific amount of time. Go ahead and try using your 180 day LAND visa and see what happens when you are stopped in Mexican waters. It won't be fun.

larryC - 1-3-2012 at 09:39 AM

How does this affect people that have boats in BoLA, or Loreto, or anywhere in Baja? The way the articles are written it sounds like "all" fishermen must have the boat fmm. Or did I miss the part about it only applies to entering Mex waters by boat from the US?
Larry

Oddjob - 1-3-2012 at 10:19 AM

Like many things in Mexico there is not a lot of clarity about this yet. It may be that you will have to buy the ten or more days water visa and this might work for longer amounts of time. I don't think this will work out very well for the Mexican fishing boats that cater to the foreigners. Does this apply to tourists fishing on Mexican boats? What happens if a tourist goes to Cabo and decides to go out fishing on a panga for half a day? Lots of confusion. I suggest contacting this guy since he is the liason for the visas in the U.S.

MX TOUR ASSIST CONTACT: TROY WILLIAMS (619) 318-3118 Troy@mxtourassist.com

mtgoat666 - 1-3-2012 at 10:42 AM

Quote:

seems a bit early to make such a statement with such certainty, eh?

...time will tell what is acceptable/not acceptable.

ultimately, the sportfishing charter businesses will find a solution that fits their businesses,... and the recreational fisherpeople in their private boats probably will have to follow in their footsteps.

Hook - 1-3-2012 at 02:49 PM

Or, they wont find a solution and the immediate 30% increase in the cost of a ticket will put an end to fishing trips < 1 day into Mexican waters.

BTW, who or what is Mex Tour Assist? Is this a company set up to sell these permits to fishermen?

[Edited on 1-3-2012 by Hook]

yellowklr - 1-3-2012 at 04:31 PM

I kinda got the impression that the "fishing Visa" Is only needed if you are entering Mexico by water......I thought that lets say we are launching our skiff out of La Salina or SQ or somewhere that the normal FMM is fine?
If not does that mean I need to buy 2 Visas on my drive down trips???

WTF over??? I need to hurry and get my citizenship papers!

elskel - 1-3-2012 at 06:31 PM

As I looked at the picture of the so called fishing visa on the WON Blog, it is the same FMM form given at the border. I still believe a stamped and paid, 180 day FMM would suffice.

Hook - 1-3-2012 at 08:23 PM

The Mex Tour assist guy says the stamp is different.

But then, wouldnt they use this same boat stamp on cruise ships? I doubt they have been.

lp2578 - 1-11-2012 at 12:29 AM

FYI...Jay Spinner put together a meeting that was attended by some of the local sport boat captains here in Ensenada. In attendance was a representative from the mayors office who is being told to support us in any way possible. There is confusion as to who is responsible for drafting this law and as to who is responsible for policing it as well. This visa thing affects us all down here in Ensenada as well. First order of business is to draft a formal letter to the Governor and all affected government offices as well. This is only the beginning. We will keep you posted as more info becomes available. Sergio's from Sergio's Sportfishing is heavily involved, Jay Spinner who owns the Selena and ensenada.com, Pilas owner of the Azteca boats, the mayors office and countless others are and will be involved. I will report as news becomes available.

Hook - 1-11-2012 at 08:11 AM

Thank you for keeping us informed, LP.

boe4fun - 1-11-2012 at 01:18 PM

Western Outdoors News was fairly clear in their article last week. There are 2 types of FMM's, 1 for land travel and 1 for sea travel (needed for fisherpeople fishing within the 24 mile limit). According to Mexican law, both types of FMM's are to be returned to IMN when returning to the US. The sea FMM is needed for private and or sport boats who will be fishing within the 24 mile limit, regardless of if they enter by sea or are brought into Mexico via trailer and will be required for all persons on board. The land travel FMM can be issued for up to 180 days, the sea FMM can be issued for 3 days or less, 4 to 9 days, or 10 to 30 days, according to WON.

Except of course......

bajaguy - 1-11-2012 at 04:14 PM

If you have an FM-3 or an FM-2......or on alternating Wednesdays.........or when the solunar tables and the 2012 Mayan calendar agree on the best fishing days of the month, or which Mexican "official" decides what is proper.......YMMV