BajaNomad

Mexicali to La Ventana via Gonzaga Bay

gorgekiter - 1-3-2012 at 02:52 PM

We left San Diego on December 22, destination La Ventana.

Lots of construction through the downtown section of Mexicali, we went through customs at Calexico. We stopped briefly for our FMM cards. Luckily we had some pesos with us as the bank at the border would only take pesos.

Next stop was San Felipe for the night. A cold El Norte was blowing through and temps were far from tropical, glad we had some warm blankets!

Day two was a short drive to Gonzaga bay. The new road is amazing, until it ends. 92 miles from San Felipe the washboard hell started. We're in a sprinter RV, so the speed slowed to a miserable 11 miles an hour. My girlfriend jumped on the mountain bike to escape the constant rattles.

Day three continued the washboard saga through Coco's corner, where we stopped for a cold refreshment. Coco said there was frost on his windows a couple of days prior! Just as we were leaving someone came into the compound to get Coco- they rolled their car between the highway and the corner. Everyone was fine, but the car didn't fair as well. They must have been rallying through- obviously a little too fast.
Once we hit the highway, we were constantly buffeted by the strong El Norte winds trying to push us off the roads. Luckily the traffic was light since it was Christmas eve, so we didn't have many intimidating trucks swerving into our lane. We grabbed a hotel in Guerrero Negro. The road to GN was easy- nothing to speak of.

Day four and the El Norte was in full force. Strong gusty winds all the way over and through the passes. The road was fine, just a minor detour around Santa Rosalia- but nothing as bone rattling as the road from Gonzaga! We camped that night south of Mulege, Playa Santispac or something- sorry for the spelling- it was the first tranquil bay we saw with easy access for the RV. Great spot for five bucks!

The rest of the drive south was easy and clear. The winds dissipated, but the traffic was in full force- lots of trucks and cars slowed our arrival into La Paz. We didn't even have to donate to the local police force in CC! A quick resupply at one of the mega marts in La Paz and an hour later we arrived in La Ventana to my favorite spot- Kurt and Marinas- RV spots and a small hotel. Perfect winds for kiteboarding everyday.

Thanks to everyone for all the info they provided for the east side trip. I won't be taking the San Felipe route in an RV again though, once is enough! Maybe if I was in a truck, but even then, I'll check the weather next time to avoid the cold El Norte.

390917_10150541373177803_527137802_10560346_1133005787_n.jpg - 18kB

john68 - 1-3-2012 at 05:01 PM

Gorgekiter--

how many miles of washboard do you estimate?

thanks.

John

woody with a view - 1-3-2012 at 05:26 PM

that picture doesn't look bad. except how little clearance that rig has...

Sandlefoot - 1-3-2012 at 05:39 PM

I was across that section after the rain and before Christmas, I think it was the 22nd. The road going south was wash board from the end of the pavement to Gonzaga Bay, about 15 miles. From there to Mex 1, about 35 miles, the road was better in some areas than others. There was some areas that the rain had left its mark. I aired down to about 22lbs and had to slow down only in the areas where the canyons and winding curves were. Most other parts were about 30+, and that was my first trip through. If I knew the road at all there were alot of places that I could have gone faster but that may happen next time. (If nothing changes, [oh I almost forgot....this is Baja, expect change!!!!])

[Edited on 1-4-2012 by Sandlefoot]

john68 - 1-3-2012 at 08:58 PM

Good information. Thanks.

John

gorgekiter - 1-4-2012 at 03:44 PM

The rigs got more clearance than it appears. I never bottomed out, the little subaru hit more rocks than I did, but then again, I was probably paying more attention!

Sandlefoot is right on, it was about 54 mile or so. I stopped counting exactly. The roads not bad for a truck, just painful for an RV, unless your cabinets have already fallen off.

David K - 1-5-2012 at 10:29 AM

People who went to Alfonsina's for lunch a couple days ago said the pavement is just under 10 miles from Papa Fernendez' road (13 miles from Alfonsina's/ Rancho Grande road)... plus almost 36 miles to Chapala = 49 unpaved Hwy. 5 miles.