BajaNomad

Winter fishing, central...

bigzaggin - 1-5-2012 at 09:53 PM

Heading down for the annual trip. Surf is priority #1, but fishing is #2. Have had limited luck in recent years and looking for any tips beyond "spoons." Will be beachcasting. Between Eugenia and Punta Baja.

Anyone?

bigzaggin - 1-8-2012 at 02:49 PM

Have you tried spoons? Good luck!

Spearo - 1-8-2012 at 02:58 PM

Try a deadly dick jig, you can buy them at Cabelas. You can cast them a country mile and they have a great action when retrieved. I've caught all sorts of fish on them. A swimbait on a 1.5 oz lead head is another good bet.

woody with a view - 1-8-2012 at 03:17 PM

dig a clam. put it on your hook (2 per clam) and set up your pole. open a beer or 3 and listen for THAT sound on the wind!

other than that, just chuck a 2-3oz Kroc.....

U2U your details. i'm waiting for a window myself.....

[Edited on 1-8-2012 by woody with a view]

GrOUper-GAr - 1-9-2012 at 04:45 PM

Ditto with Woody!
Additionally, Plastics work for the Flat ones, Bass(around Kelp&rocks), & CorVina(seasonal).
...FYI: those 2-3 oz Kroc's are "out of print" now...
Maybe there is one place in 'the South West' that still sells them, but that's like GPS'ing the surf spots! (u2u me if interested)
I like BIG Ka$tma$ter$- but they're pricey, not to be used where it's "Lure Suicide".
You ever Try fishing off yer board? It can be a real thrill (throw'n some iron outside the kelp stringers). Watch the family jewels then sitting on your board & handling lively Calicos.
Good LuCK!
-GrouPer

woody with a view - 1-9-2012 at 05:18 PM

check this guy out. chinese knockoffs that are pretty good. he ships quick too. i got some of the 5 and 7 oz'ers.

http://www.caivotackle.com/shop/index.php?route=product/prod...
d=114

Hook - 1-9-2012 at 06:34 PM

Man, those spoons are cheap. Maybe thats why Kroc decided to bail on the big Krocs.

Any well-rounded surf collection should have some scampi-types and swimbaits in various sizes (be sure to include root beer or motor oil colored), small spoons and kastmasters, as well as rigs for bait like squid pieces and sand crabs. I do prefer the kastmasters to spoons from shore, especially if the wind is in your face.

Smaller is usually better when fishing from the surf. You'll get more bites and the big ones will still bite as well.

beach fishing

captkw - 1-9-2012 at 06:50 PM

sand crab,s= leathel

Roberto - 1-9-2012 at 06:56 PM

swimbaits = chiclets para cochis. :lol::lol:

They CAN be effective, however.

Spearo - 1-10-2012 at 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Roberto
swimbaits = chiclets para cochis. :lol::lol:

They CAN be effective, however.

Triggers just like the very end of the swimbait.